Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best router for Virgin 50mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Best router for Virgin 50mb

Old 14-09-2010, 13:49   #16
boozer71
Inactive

boozer71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best router for Virgin 50mb

I am testing it on speednet. the problems are that i cannot get 50M through my current netgear N router

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

I am testing the speed on a website given to me by virgin media engineer called Speednet. the problems are that i am not gettingn anywhere near the correct speed considering that i have paid for 50M and am normally only receiving about 20M. i am using a netgear N router.
boozer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2010, 14:01   #17
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Are you using London server? Aberdeen can only handle 20
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 15:07   #18
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozer71 View Post
I am testing it on speednet. the problems are that i cannot get 50M through my current netgear N router

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

I am testing the speed on a website given to me by virgin media engineer called Speednet. the problems are that i am not gettingn anywhere near the correct speed considering that i have paid for 50M and am normally only receiving about 20M. i am using a netgear N router.
A good place to start would be to set your router to only broadcast over wireless "N", then check if your (I'm presuming) laptop is actually connected via the wireless "N" standard and do a speed test to speedtest.net via the London server and see how you go from there.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 15:34   #19
boozer71
Inactive

virgin are sending me a new wireless box itis being delivered today see if that work
Old 14-09-2010, 15:39   #20
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozer71 View Post
virgin are sending me a new wireless box itis being delivered today see if that work
Ok but if your laptop or computer isn't capable of running via wireless "N" it wont make any difference, you still need to confirm if your gear is at fault dude
Old 14-09-2010, 15:59   #21
boozer71
Inactive

my laptop and computer are both are wireless n
Old 14-09-2010, 16:47   #22
speedfreak
Inactive

Services: VM phone TV 50Mbps BB
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal

Do you get the 50Mb wired? If so Id check the following...

router away from any sources of interference i.e TV/power cables,not near fish tank etc

make sure the only devices connected are "n" if you have four N devices but another at G the router will only work at G speeds I believe. Set the router to "N" only if possible

To check the best channel download something like this http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider to see if you are clashing with something on the same channel

Hope that helps
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 17:47   #23
boozer71
Inactive

thax for your help just put the new router on in work fine now thank you all for ur help
Old 15-09-2010, 13:46   #24
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

could get one of these... They arnt bad...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/201376
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 14:59   #25
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
could get one of these... They arnt bad...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/201376
Is this the best router you can up with Chris ,

cheap as chips though
Old 15-09-2010, 16:48   #26
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Why does something have to be expensive to do what the user needs? Most users just want wireless connections and that will do exactly that and more.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 20:15   #27
abyzz
Inactive

abyzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I am using the Virgin supplied DIR-615 and although it works fine and can get top speeds on speedtest.net, I was disapointed that it didn't have gigabit LAN ports.
I went out and bought a DIR-825 to remedy this shortfall (all of the rest of my network was running gigabit) but found that I could NOT get anywhere near 50Mb speeds with that router (best I could get was 17Mb), despite flashing different firmwares and messing with various settings for weeks on end !
I ending up flogging it on ebay and going back to the DIR-615 and full speed.

Anyone know why this would be?
abyzz is offline   Reply With Quote