Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No DHCP

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No DHCP

Old 06-02-2009, 20:48   #16
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star
Re: No DHCP

zonealarm can mess things up if you 'improperly' remove software it's keeping an eye on. this can cause issues. second to that, if the zyxel is running a non-MS DHCP service, the DHCP discover message from the client can sometimes get confused by the DHCP service, meaning that the router can't give out the address correctly as it routes the return message to the wrong place.

try the following commands....

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

does sound likely to be a firewall thing though. try turning them all off and try again
Old 06-02-2009, 20:53   #17
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
Have you tried any of the other laptops/pcs wired through the switch?
Nope - the other working PC is directly connected and I've directly connected the non working PC direct to the router with the same issue.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
what message are you getting in the system event log? (not the router log, but the computer log)

---------- Post added at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

i don't suppose the router is only set to dish out DHCP to wireless clients, is it? I doubt the zyxels have the option to split, but take a look...
DHCP message - without looking it's from DHCP Client saysing it could not obtain an IP address...

The other PC is working so I know the DHCP server is working correctly.

---------- Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

Quote:
zonealarm can mess things up if you 'improperly' remove software it's keeping an eye on. this can cause issues. second to that, if the zyxel is running a non-MS DHCP service, the DHCP discover message from the client can sometimes get confused by the DHCP service, meaning that the router can't give out the address correctly as it routes the return message to the wrong place.

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

does sound likely to be a firewall thing though. try turning them all off and try again

Good shout on the commands - I've tried the ipconfig / renew etc but not the flush and register...

Firewall - the PC is running KIS2009 - and so is the working PC...
Old 06-02-2009, 20:55   #18
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

That's just give me a thought.

Lee, the PC that's not working, it is using it's factory set default MAC address isn't it. You've not spoofed it at any point and duplicated it at all by any chance?

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post

Firewall - the PC is running KIS2009 - and so is the working PC...
Either turn it off.....and make sure it's off, or boot into safe mode with networking.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 20:58   #19
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Have you a spare NIC you could swap into the problem PC?
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 21:04   #20
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

i had a problem where DHCP kept dropping on my pc. Turned out to be Internet security messing with connection.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 22:27   #21
LSainsbury

Plot thickens....

Other wired PC's through the switch work correctly - they pickup a new correct IP.

It's something to do with my Vista install...

I've tried reseting the router - back to defaults - picked up an IP on the problem PC...cool...so went and changed the router IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1 and setup the DHCP server accordingly - start at 192.168.10.100 - pool of 100 addresses.

Rebooted problem PC - no IP again - switched on another wired PC - got an instant 192.168.10.100 IP address....

WTF is up with my Vista??!!

Could it be the original router I had was also set to 192.168.10.1 and Vista has remembered some settings for this?

Ran a Route Print but did not see the routes in the table....

What is going on!!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 22:37   #22
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Plot thickens....

What is going on!!!!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

maybe..
Old 06-02-2009, 22:40   #23
Noggo
Inactive

Services: VM XL broadband, Sky+ TV and BT phone
Noggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation era

default gateway 192.168.1.1
from : http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r191...ction-problems
Noggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 22:51   #24
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Lee, you need to either try safe mode or another NIC.

also try DaiNasty's MS link, sounds relevent
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 00:08   #25
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

have you flushed and re-registered your DNS from the client yet?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:14   #26
LSainsbury

Quote:

Yay!!!!!! Fixed! Bloody Vista!!!

It needed that reg Dword added - DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle and a reboot...

Thank's for the help all - for a moment I thought I had a duff On-Board LAN NIC...
Old 07-02-2009, 09:19   #27
Dai
Inactive

I'd wondered about the NIC as well but thought the reg hack was worth a try. Glad to hear it worked, I love a happy ending.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:50   #28
LSainsbury

Quote:
I'd wondered about the NIC as well but thought the reg hack was worth a try. Glad to hear it worked, I love a happy ending.

Well as I said - it worked fine with a static, so the hardware was ok - didn't work in Safe Mode /w Networking so we could rule out the firewall software - didn't work directly connected to the switch either so that ruled out the switch - it could have only been one thing....Vista's config.

Don't you just love troubleshooting!!!

Actually - looking back at my work mail one of my colleagues had the same issues a few weeks ago and fixed it using the same reg key!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:56   #29
Dai
Inactive

And just as we're getting our heads around Vista, here comes Windows 7 with a whole new batch of headscratching built in..