Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What Dongle

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What Dongle

Old 27-06-2008, 21:53   #16
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles
Re: What Dongle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Surely any wireless adaptor that is of the correct speed type i.e. "g" or above would work
Being friendly to the User,All of Virginmedia's Netgear kit has Virgin Specific firmware installed in them and if you do not use their Dongle or PCMIA Card if you required to go Wireless then you are unsupported by Virgin ( Its fine if your Laptop or PC is Wireless enabled we can support you )
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2008, 11:22   #17
the end
Inactive

Services: 2 XL tv, 1 V+ box, XL on bb, XL on phone!
the end is an unknown quantity at this point

All i want is a dongle that i can use with my laptop, and i wont be always using my home wireless router ill be using others when i go to their house so wouldnt it be good to buy a dongle that works on other wireless routers? or perhaps a wireless card?

Btw is there anything in maplin that would work? as i have a maplin 5mins from my house

Edit: If not could some one post a link to this dongle on Vm website...
the end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 12:53   #18
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

What make and model is your laptop?
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 13:39   #19
the end
Inactive

Ei system 3088
Old 28-06-2008, 13:49   #20
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

The E system laptop I have does now power on the built in wireless by default.

Try pressing

Fn + F10 when you are in windows to see if it turns the wireless on.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Mind you looking on the manufacturor site it may well not have a wireless cafd installed

Still, worth a try I guess.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 14:05   #21
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

No wireless installed according to this...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 16:16   #22
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by the end View Post
All i want is a dongle that i can use with my laptop, and i wont be always using my home wireless router ill be using others when i go to their house so wouldnt it be good to buy a dongle that works on other wireless routers? or perhaps a wireless card?

Btw is there anything in maplin that would work? as i have a maplin 5mins from my house

Edit: If not could some one post a link to this dongle on Vm website...
yes you either want an 802.11G Pcmcia card (if your laptop has a slot)

Or an 802.11G wireless adaptor.

As others have said unless you really want to use the virgin supplied software (which you don't need) any one should work.

I think a few people said Maplins "White box" adaptors seem to work ok, and are around £15
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 18:04   #23
the end
Inactive

Hey i will try wireless keys and see what happens when i got my laptop back Lol, and i got hold of a dongle from maplin 19.99 and as far as i know its working fine it detects around 4 diffrent connections around my area even my own but has trouble connecting to my. Keeps saying you are trying to set up wireless with a router which is not with Vm but it is

Im new to this stuff so im still learning.
Old 28-06-2008, 22:46   #24
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Hey i will try wireless keys and see what happens when i got my laptop back Lol, and i got hold of a dongle from maplin 19.99 and as far as i know its working fine it detects around 4 diffrent connections around my area even my own but has trouble connecting to my. Keeps saying you are trying to set up wireless with a router which is not with Vm but it is

Im new to this stuff so im still learning.
I did warn you about Virgin firmware in post 16 above and the Virgin dongle is also £20 and works correctly with the router.
Old 28-06-2008, 23:03   #25
the end
Inactive

The dongle works fine i found the problem out which was i was entering the wrong key name lol. and yes im on my laptop now, heres the dongle i got from maplin: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...a=usb&doy=28m6.

great connection sitting next to the router says 100%, go upstairs says 80%, go into the garden just around 50%.
Old 28-06-2008, 23:30   #26
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
The dongle works fine i found the problem out which was i was entering the wrong key name lol. and yes im on my laptop now, heres the dongle i got from maplin: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...a=usb&doy=28m6.

great connection sitting next to the router says 100%, go upstairs says 80%, go into the garden just around 50%.
I am actually glad it works because you would not have been able to ring up for support using a 3rd party dongle.

This is where the Virgin router falls down, people are not being told that they may need another Virgin supplied device to get online, and when they call up after buying a 3rd party device they are then told we cannot support your connection.
Old 29-06-2008, 02:06   #27
the end
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
I am actually glad it works because you would not have been able to ring up for support using a 3rd party dongle.

This is where the Virgin router falls down, people are not being told that they may need another Virgin supplied device to get online, and when they call up after buying a 3rd party device they are then told we cannot support your connection.
theres always a catch with free routers lol but thanks tho
Old 29-06-2008, 10:01   #28
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
theres always a catch with free routers lol but thanks tho
Guess who has to tell the customer that your 3rd party device is unsupported, we do the guys and girls on the Technical Support Line.