Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NAS Advice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NAS Advice

Old 26-08-2010, 19:10   #16
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: NAS Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Ordered them from amazon. ReadyNas Duo and the 2TB HD.

Any tips on what to do when I get it?
You mean apart from plugging it in, that always helps xD
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-08-2010, 19:15   #17
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Read the manual lol Have a look through the readynas forum on the netgear site while you wait for it to arrive. It's simple to install and setup.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 19:19   #18
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Read the manual lol Have a look through the readynas forum on the netgear site while you wait for it to arrive. It's simple to install and setup.
How about installing latest firmwire, I think I need to do that to ensure maximum comparability with the drive I got? I have a 1tb drive as well, how simple would it be too plug that in, transfer it's contents to the 2tb drive, then add another 2tb drive with RAID? I don't want RAID to kick in when I entered the 1tb drive..

Thanks for the help btw!
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 12:09   #19
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Well it's arrived

Any tips on how to boost performance? It's quite slow transferring over the network..
Old 28-08-2010, 15:19   #20
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Well it's arrived

Any tips on how to boost performance? It's quite slow transferring over the network..
They generally are slower. The only sure way to get a fast one is to go the freeNAS route or get a server instead. Out of interest how fast is it going? a good one should really give about +8MB/s write and +12MB/s read though the average is probably about half of that.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 17:13   #21
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
They generally are slower. The only sure way to get a fast one is to go the freeNAS route or get a server instead. Out of interest how fast is it going? a good one should really give about +8MB/s write and +12MB/s read though the average is probably about half of that.
I haven't tested but less than that.

My router does 54mps. Do you think I would benefit from getting a faster one?
Old 29-08-2010, 09:11   #22
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Everything is going through the router so it will take time anyway, we have a 1Gb router sat between our PCs but obviously you will only see a difference if your network cards can push the data out at that speed too. One thing to remember though is that once it's on there then the job is done and won't have to happen again. We had to shift a lot of data onto ours so left it over night running.
Old 29-08-2010, 09:14   #23
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Everything is going through the router so it will take time anyway, we have a 1Gb router sat between our PCs but obviously you will only see a difference if your network cards can push the data out at that speed too. One thing to remember though is that once it's on there then the job is done and won't have to happen again. We had to shift a lot of data onto ours so left it over night running.
Yeah, I am using the backup feature to copy content from my external HD (800gig!) over usb. So that's better. However for basic streaming of HD content across the house I am wondering if I should go to a Wireless N router which is capable of pushing more data around, or is the bottleneck at the ReadyNAS itself?

Also, would I benefit from a Gigabit router or not?
Old 29-08-2010, 09:36   #24
Paul K
Inactive

If your PCs can match the network speed then throwing the data around the network would always benefit. The difference between a 10/100 and a 1gb network card can be staggering. Our 1Gb router sits between the PC network and our ADSL router so we can maximise the speed of the internal network since we don't need an amazing speed on the ADSL router since we can't get 1Gb download speeds from it
Old 29-08-2010, 09:45   #25
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
If your PCs can match the network speed then throwing the data around the network would always benefit. The difference between a 10/100 and a 1gb network card can be staggering. Our 1Gb router sits between the PC network and our ADSL router so we can maximise the speed of the internal network since we don't need an amazing speed on the ADSL router since we can't get 1Gb download speeds from it
If everything but the NAS is connected via wireless then the bottleneck won't be the speed the nas can talk with the router is it? So gigabit would be useless because the wireless speed is much slower?
Old 29-08-2010, 10:56   #26
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Maximum speed of 54G is about 3MB/s. Maximum I have got over wireless N is 7MB/s. 100mb LAN should be about 12MB/s, Best I have ever got from 1000mb LAN is 45MB/s though normally closer to 25MB/s.
Can your NAS be hard-wired over Ethernet or is it one of those wireless only units? If you can hard-wire it I would try it over 100mb or 1000mb and try to find the units limit, If its 6MB/s then you know wireless N should be fine, if the max speed is about 4MB/s or slower then you may find its not worth the investment in N for 1MB/s increase.
Most HD videos I have watched can stream comfortably over 54G for one stream though you wont be able to do much more with the wireless than browsing the internet (No fast downloads) or the video will start to stutter. If you find your NAS is fast enough and you have the need for multiple video streams or more intense use of the wireless for other uses (Or users) at the same time then N may be an option.

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Quote:
If everything but the NAS is connected via wireless then the bottleneck won't be the speed the nas can talk with the router is it? So gigabit would be useless because the wireless speed is much slower?
Thats right because if the router is 54G then the maximum total bandwidth is 3MB/s so the wired connection to the router between the NAS is redundant.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 11:28   #27
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
...This is the one I am considering: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149510
Have you claimed your free 500GB hard drive?

http://www.netgear.co.uk/freedrive.php
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 13:58   #28
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Have you claimed your free 500GB hard drive?

http://www.netgear.co.uk/freedrive.php
Woah Cheers!

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
Maximum speed of 54G is about 3MB/s. Maximum I have got over wireless N is 7MB/s. 100mb LAN should be about 12MB/s, Best I have ever got from 1000mb LAN is 45MB/s though normally closer to 25MB/s.
Can your NAS be hard-wired over Ethernet or is it one of those wireless only units? If you can hard-wire it I would try it over 100mb or 1000mb and try to find the units limit, If its 6MB/s then you know wireless N should be fine, if the max speed is about 4MB/s or slower then you may find its not worth the investment in N for 1MB/s increase.
Most HD videos I have watched can stream comfortably over 54G for one stream though you wont be able to do much more with the wireless than browsing the internet (No fast downloads) or the video will start to stutter. If you find your NAS is fast enough and you have the need for multiple video streams or more intense use of the wireless for other uses (Or users) at the same time then N may be an option.

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Thats right because if the router is 54G then the maximum total bandwidth is 3MB/s so the wired connection to the router between the NAS is redundant.
Thanks! I am upgrading to N to help with the many devices connected to it now!
Old 29-08-2010, 14:52   #29
Paul K
Inactive

You didn't know about the free drive? Deary me lol They have been doing that offer for a while now. 3 of us in work have the Readynas and so far only one person had an issue setting it up and that was PEBCAK and we made him very aware of it
Old 29-08-2010, 17:39   #30
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

What happens with a N Wireless network if someone with a computer that can only do G connects?