Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin settings, slow speeds.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin settings, slow speeds.

Old 25-07-2008, 10:07   #16
chris190
Inactive

chris190 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Belkin settings, slow speeds.

let us know how you get on when you get the new modem
chris190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-07-2008, 23:57   #17
hoggie
Inactive

Services: V+.XL tv & Bb
hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice

this my sound a bit stupid but its worth a go.
where do you have the modem and the router as position of the router can alter things.
i had my router and modem under my TV. bad idea, as the magnetic field around electrical goods and appliances does interfere with wifi routers and some modems.
i now have my router on the wall behind my curtains.the modem is tucked away under the sofa. but both are nowhere near any wires,TV's. and it works no more trouble with dropped connections or poor signal.
Just a thought,
Phil
hoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 00:11   #18
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggie View Post
this my sound a bit stupid but its worth a go.
where do you have the modem and the router as position of the router can alter things.
i had my router and modem under my TV. bad idea, as the magnetic field around electrical goods and appliances does interfere with wifi routers and some modems.
i now have my router on the wall behind my curtains.the modem is tucked away under the sofa. but both are nowhere near any wires,TV's. and it works no more trouble with dropped connections or poor signal.
Just a thought,
Phil
If the OP is using a hard-wired connection (which by the comment about the modem direct into the PC i would assume they either do or have tried it) then It would have to be a fairly strong magnetic field to cause that much of an issue, to the point where id be worried that somethings seriously not right.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 00:31   #19
hoggie
Inactive

hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice

well i had my modem on top or at the side of my PC and i was getting some strange problems even with a direct connection. until i was show just how much of a magnetic field there is around some pc's and TV's.

large coils of copper wire with a current running through it.
haven't i just described an electro magnet
Old 26-07-2008, 00:42   #20
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
well i had my modem on top or at the side of my PC and i was getting some strange problems even with a direct connection. until i was show just how much of a magnetic field there is around some pc's and TV's.

large coils of copper wire with a current running through it.
haven't i just described an electro magnet
yes but I would be surprised if in this case that was the cause as I'd expect it to affect the direct connection also.

Bluetooth is quite a good one for killing wireless throughput though
Old 27-07-2008, 23:56   #21
Ricksta7
Inactive

Services: 10Mb Virgin Media BB
Ricksta7 is on a distinguished roadRicksta7 is on a distinguished road

My router and modem are both currently both about less than 1 meter apart and on top of the computers base unit.... BUT I mainly use the wireless laptop so the base unit is turned off? So am guessing this would not cause a problem?

My main suspision now is the modem as I mentioned it takes around 10 mins to do a power cycle!! Crazy. Also, I am wondering as mentioned, if the "tech support" guy on the phone was pullin my leg?? I just can't see them posting me a modem? Anyone else had a modem just posted out?
Ricksta7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 00:28   #22
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksta7 View Post
My router and modem are both currently both about less than 1 meter apart and on top of the computers base unit.... BUT I mainly use the wireless laptop so the base unit is turned off? So am guessing this would not cause a problem?

My main suspision now is the modem as I mentioned it takes around 10 mins to do a power cycle!! Crazy. Also, I am wondering as mentioned, if the "tech support" guy on the phone was pullin my leg?? I just can't see them posting me a modem? Anyone else had a modem just posted out?
I think they do it for New installations where there was previously cable in the property so he might have been serious
Old 28-07-2008, 00:39   #23
Ricksta7
Inactive

Cheers Dragon, and I hope so lol. I don't know if this means anything either but If say, I download a file from IE, It will start off downloading at say 56KB's then after about 2 seconds drop to say 34KB's then drop again lower and lower?? useually give up downloading to be honest when it drops below about 3KB's lol which only takes about 1 min to do so
I know this most probably has nothing to do with the problem?? Just strange.
Old 28-07-2008, 11:08   #24
Ricksta7
Inactive

Sorry to be a pain and double post! But I have just spoken to Virgin Customer Retentions just to see if there was an order on my account for the new modem and apparently it IS She advised me the date it was issued to all sounded good! If this does not work when the new modem arrives I will be truely stuck for what to do next lol. Fingers crossed it will work though!
Old 28-07-2008, 17:06   #25
hoggie
Inactive

just a touch off topic
unless you unplug a PC the power unit inside is still on and drawing a small amount of current.

sorry forgot to say. im an electrical engineer
Old 28-07-2008, 17:18   #26
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
just a touch off topic
unless you unplug a PC the power unit inside is still on and drawing a small amount of current.

sorry forgot to say. im an electrical engineer
Quite right, I'm lucky i didn't fry anything once because I forgot to turn it off at the mains before reconnecting a hard-drive.
Old 28-07-2008, 17:55   #27
hoggie
Inactive

i answerd all my troubles with routers by having two one just for wired use and one Belkin connected to the first router just for wifi.
i haven't had a dropped connection for months.
haven't done any warm or cold boots on modem also for months.
i think you have to see what you need, what you are going to do. before you go out and pay sometimes for stuff half of which you are never going to use to it's full potential.
but when post like the OP are made some idea of
1 what router you have
2. what mb connection you have.
3. what wifi card is in the Laptop/PC
4. are you using xp pro/home/media centre/Vista, what one. +service pack.
all this helps when trying to sort out problems.

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Quite right, I'm lucky i didn't fry anything once because I forgot to turn it off at the mains before reconnecting a hard-drive.
ive given up on PC's. I upgrade cheap laptops.
like the ACER 5315 which comes with the stock celeron m 530. but for £40 on ebay you can drop a C2D Txxxx straight in after flashing the Bios
Old 28-07-2008, 19:20   #28
Ricksta7
Inactive

Ok, thanks for all you're replies... I have just got the new modem in the post today but they can not activate it until Wednesday :shock: Apparently the ugrade tools used to send the signal to activate modems is down or something Also I will try unpluging everying later aswell apart from router / modem.... see if it helps. Cheers.
Old 28-07-2008, 19:31   #29
dragon
Inactive

Sometimes it's better to have several boxes all doing 1 thing well than one box doing everything badly.

That and the Linux based 3rd party firmwares don't seem to work on most DSL routers.

DG834v4 Bridged to a Wrt160N.

Netgears Brilliant DSL modem with DD-WRT's routing power.

The only thing better (IMO) would be if my current router could run tomato, i prefered it but decided having the WRT54GL and my 2 WRT160N's was just overkill.
Old 28-07-2008, 19:37   #30
Ricksta7
Inactive

I think I will try something similar if this new modem does not help... But I know the same (old Modem) and exact same router work well together as my Dad and Bro in law both have the same, exactly the same, and I set up my younger Brother in laws... runs sweet as a nut... I know mine used to run at the full 2Meg.