Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 20-08-2012, 22:07   #2041
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Weird as my internet is fine and the superhub is still pinging OK to outside sources from the correct IP, I presume either routing or the Firebrick at thinkbroadband is having issues
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-08-2012, 22:53   #2042
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

Like I said, it was the network at NCUK going odd, because the ping spike didn't happen until the penultimate hop.
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 07:55   #2043
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

A colorful 24hrs, yesterday at around 3pm the internet dropped out, it appeared to be caused by T3 and T4 timeouts, the upstream channel just died in the blink of an eye! I had to manually reboot the superhub which gave me another upstream channel which appears to have less congestion. Then come the issues with thinkbroadband themselves last night and then at 2am there appears to be a small drop in minimum latency but only by a millisecond or so. There does seem to be some periods of slight packetloss now though.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 09:43   #2044
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymallory View Post

A colorful 24hrs, .
Interesting; I have a clone of your graph with the 9pm to 10pm "spikes"
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 10:35   #2045
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Interesting; I have a clone of your graph with the 9pm to 10pm "spikes"
Me too - it was something screwed up in the VM core network I guess.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 10:43   #2046
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

Everton vs Man U football streaming?
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 15:12   #2047
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickJesus View Post
Like I said, it was the network at NCUK going odd, because the ping spike didn't happen until the penultimate hop.
Funny that, since only Virgin Media customers were affected...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 18:35   #2048
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

I did a traceroute while it was happening, it wasn't anywhere near Virgin's network. For once.

Just because it didn't occur under BT's network doesn't automatically make it a problem on VM's network and you know it.
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 22:47   #2049
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Another night of crappy internet. Yet the ***** in India tell me there is nothing wrong. Oh really, then why has my internet been fine all last week?

Last week

Now

Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 11:10   #2050
blenky
Inactive

Services: M+ TV, TiVo 500GB, 100 MB BB, Phone
blenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enough

My monitor looks very yellow!

Should I be concerened?

blenky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 11:22   #2051
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Weird enough I'm still getting blank graphs with no pings..
Old 22-08-2012, 11:37   #2052
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Weird enough I'm still getting blank graphs with no pings..
Daft question Kymmy but has your IP addy changed, or have you recently set up some port forwarding rules or started using the DMZ.

With the superhub and even with this crapy sky router if you breath near the port forwarding etc it stops responding to pings
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 11:40   #2053
Kymmy
Inactive

First thing I checked, same IP, same settings, rebooted SH, even disabled firewall and made sure that WAN ping was enabled before the reboot. Nothing has changed but from my post at the top of this page it looks like it happened in two stages..

Weird
Old 22-08-2012, 11:56   #2054
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
First thing I checked, same IP, same settings, rebooted SH, even disabled firewall and made sure that WAN ping was enabled before the reboot. Nothing has changed but from my post at the top of this page it looks like it happened in two stages..

Weird
Then the only logical conclusion I can draw from that is that its F.U.B.A.R
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 12:41   #2055
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickJesus View Post
I did a traceroute while it was happening, it wasn't anywhere near Virgin's network. For once.
A traceroute that spikes outside of VM's network does not mean the fault causing it is not on VM's network. In other words, your traceroute proves nothing about where it is happening.

Quote:
Just because it didn't occur under BT's network doesn't automatically make it a problem on VM's network and you know it.
It didn't occur on any of these other networks: BT, Sky, O2, Talktalk, Bulldog, OVH, JANET, Leaseweb, Goscomb, Vodafone, Be*.

It did occur on VM. Go figure...

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Quote:

Weird
Firewall/flood detection on? Other people have reported having more than one device pinging the Superhub at a time can cause it to falsely trigger and stop responding.

That or the ping responder process is buggy, which has also happened, requiring a reboot.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote