Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Football : Season 08/09

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Football : Season 08/09
Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2009, 11:03   #2011
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Football : Season 08/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK View Post
Thats because Liverpool fans take more joy in seeing United lose then they do in seeing their own team win.
Also because other clubs are accustomed to having to deal with defeat and gloating from other fans. Not often they get a chance to do it to United fans
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2009, 11:06   #2012
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

A Man U fan who didn't take defeat that well...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8529398

Quote:
A Manchester United fan in Nigeria killed four people when he drove his minibus into a crowd of Barcelona supporters after his team lost the Champions League final, police said on Thursday.
Old 28-05-2009, 11:08   #2013
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Ah, so 'CL runners up' is notable for Man U., but Liverpool, despite being Premiership runners up, in your estimation 'won nothing'. That sounds like a fair and unbiased assessment.
Well it's not like 'CL runners-up' was placed on its own there - it was put in with the rest of what United won. Admittedly the World Club trophy isn't something I take seriously, ditto the Charity Shield and the League Cup is only marginly more significant but hey, they're all in the trophy cabinet at Old Trafford.

Quote:
And isn't it funny how we can take two decades off and now you're only just on level pegging with league titles?
Not funny at all, Liverpool had their most successful period during the 70s and 80s, now those days are safely long gone it's now United's time for dominance and has been for close to 20 years although I'll admit I didn't expect Liverpool's fall from grace to be so sudden.

Liverpool can have excellent games here and there, even beat the champions at home but for the past 4 years it has all counted for nothing and I don't see any change for a long while yet.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 28-05-2009, 11:11   #2014
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Thats because Liverpool fans take more joy in seeing United lose then they do in seeing their own team win.
To see you lose is nice, but its not exactly the icing on my cake. Sorry to disappoint.
Old 28-05-2009, 11:11   #2015
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post
A Man U fan who didn't take defeat that well...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/8529398
Didn't a Nigerian Arsenal fan top himself after the semi final defeat? There must be something in the water over there.
Old 28-05-2009, 11:12   #2016
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
Liverpool can have excellent games here and there, even beat the champions at home but for the past 4 years it has all counted for nothing and I don't see any change for a long while yet.
I personally think this season was Liverpool's best chance to win the Premiership, and I for one can't see them maintaining a similar challenge next season. I dont think they will even finish in the top 2.
Old 28-05-2009, 11:20   #2017
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B
Actually I think Liverpool's overall consistency and quality has been improving a lot. The stats for the season just past show that. Bragging aside, we did beat you twice ... in fact we did pretty well against all the top teams. Our goal difference was better than yours, we lost fewer games than you ... the only deficit was four draws at home. Yes, a win's a win and runner up is nothing in terms of what goes in the trophy cabinet, but you would be foolish not to keep an eye in your rear-view mirror, and bear in mind that objects may be closer than they appear.

Liverpool's historic success was built on Shankly, with Paisley working magic on those foundations and Dalglish continuing it. However when he packed it in Souness derailed us pretty much single-handedly. There's no doubt Ferguson is a genius, but don't be too proud to learn from Liverpool here - once he's gone, it will only take a single less-than-perfect decision about his replacement and you too could find you lose that all-conquering streak.
Old 28-05-2009, 11:29   #2018
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Actually I think Liverpool's overall consistency and quality has been improving a lot. The stats for the season just past show that. Bragging aside, we did beat you twice ... in fact we did pretty well against all the top teams. Our goal difference was better than yours, we lost fewer games than you ... the only deficit was four draws at home. Yes, a win's a win and runner up is nothing in terms of what goes in the trophy cabinet, but you would be foolish not to keep an eye in your rear-view mirror, and bear in mind that objects may be closer than they appear.

Liverpool's historic success was built on Shankly, with Paisley working magic on those foundations and Dalglish continuing it. However when he packed it in Souness derailed us pretty much single-handedly. There's no doubt Ferguson is a genius, but don't be too proud to learn from Liverpool here - once he's gone, it will only take a single less-than-perfect decision about his replacement and you too could find you lose that all-conquering streak.
I'll give respect where it's due, Liverpool are one of the top teams in Europe. Goal difference, losing fewer games...... but teams don't end up winning the league by accident. Lose Torres and Gerrard for a few games and Liverpool are in the brown stuff.

As for when SAF retires, it's no secret he'll have a big say in who replaces him. I'm certainly not worried.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 28-05-2009, 11:32   #2019
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Don't you mean 7 draws at home?

Well done for scoring more goals, it's a shame they came in matches where they didn't really matter and not all those games you drew which lost you the title.

I find it funny how Liverpool's fans have changed the way they try and show they are a better side than United, it's gone from last years 'We've still won more league titles than you' to 'We beat you twice this season'. Can any scousers actually remember when it was you last beat us in the league before this season and when it was you actually last scored against us in the league before this season? We didn't go on and on about beating you twice a season like you have been this year, maybe that's because we were too busy actually winning trophies and it wasn't the only thing we achieved all season long.
Old 28-05-2009, 11:36   #2020
pedantic
Inactive

pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze

Chris is a Liverpool fan? Well I never.

Since when? Last night?
Old 28-05-2009, 11:37   #2021
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Since always ... I just don't normally choose to bang on about it or pretend I'm more of a fan than I really am, seeing as my following goes no further than my armchair.
Old 28-05-2009, 11:40   #2022
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
I find it funny how Liverpool's fans have changed the way they try and show they are a better side than United, it's gone from last years 'We've still won more league titles than you' to 'We beat you twice this season'.
This reminds me of a few years back where we were constantly told that balance of power had shifted from United to Arsenal just because they had a good 3 or 4 years. Funny how CF's most vocal Arsenal supporter hasn't been found in these type of threads since 2005

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 28-05-2009, 11:40   #2023
pedantic
Inactive

Quote:
Since always ... I just don't normally choose to bang on about it or pretend I'm more of a fan than I really am, seeing as my following goes no further than my armchair.
There's another kind of Liverpool supporter?
Old 28-05-2009, 11:50   #2024
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Gutted about the result. We lost because Barca had 11 men playing and we were missing about 5. We only had one midfielder too.

VDS again got beaten at the near post. How many times is this going to keep happening.
JOS can't defend \ tackle, has no positional sense and can't pass or distribute the ball either. He had a great first season and has never reach that level ever again. The talk that he can play anyway is rubbish as he can't play in any position. All he did last night was foul and push players in the back and that's all he does in everygame.
Park isn't a footballer and shouldn't have been on the pitch, let alone still be with us after 4 years of rubbish play
Anderson is having a second season nightmare
Giggs used his experience to wander all over the pitch upfront no where near the ball doing nothing.

That only left Carrick in midfield so no wonder we lost that all night.

Add in the fact Rooney isn't a left sided player and that means we had 6 players missing all match
Old 28-05-2009, 11:52   #2025
Matty_
cf.geek

Matty_ has reached the bronze age
Matty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze age

I tuned in last night to watch what was billed as the "game everyone wanted" but what on earth happened....
Weren`t the teams, Man u especially reading from the same script?

Now i`m a Man City fan so you would naturally come to the conclusion that i wanted Barcelona to win....

Not so... "What, why, how could you" i hear non MU fans cry, well for the simple reason that i respect what Mr Fergeuson has done at Utd and would of loved it (i`m sure i`ve heard that before) if as being the representitive of the premier league in this showcase game they could have put messrs` Blatter, Platini plus cronies firmly in there place.

But what happened? this was not the same team that we normally see, it was the same players but my they looked proper dodgy!
Anderson was a complete and utter disgrace, in fact the united midfield where at large "missing in action". Park did his usual running around a lot but not actually getting anywhere, Carrick kept trying to play the wonder pass and Giggs was a non-entity....
Things only seemed to change when Teves was brought on, at least he didn`t look like a rabbit in the headlights whenever Barcelona had the ball and was prepared to get stuck in, albeit sometimes miscalculated.

Was this a tactical masterpiece by Pep Guardiola? i don`t think so, after Barcelona scored Man u lost all cohesion and basically looked a bit like the England team, 11 players who don`t play together often.

Regarding the commentary.......well what a complete and utter load of tosh!
"Messi is having one of those outstanding games"............WHAT!!!!!, apart from scoring what was a superb header(defence close down the ball, midfield players, mark the opposition) i didn`t see that many outstanding moments, save for one shot and a couple of half runs.

All in all it was a dreadful game, only one team turned up and the other was so shocked that they weren`t being given a game they just cruised it.

Ah well next year it will be differant, Man City will be in the final, Robinho will score a hat-trick of superb team goals and Pamela Anderson will be on the left wing naked...(oops sorry that was me dreaming last night)
Closed Thread