Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WWE (no spoilers for 24 hours)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WWE (no spoilers for 24 hours)

Old 01-08-2015, 05:36   #1726
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: WWE (no spoilers for 24 hours)

Legend has it during his final run with WWE when he won the tag titles with Ric Flair he had to undergo the normal in-ring performer's medical tests and that's when they discovered his cancer.

As such Piper always considered this to mean the fans gave him extra years to live. I genuinely believe he was a few waves short of a shipwreck but what a classy guy to say that. He truly loved and understood the business.

It'll be interesting to see on Raw how they pay tribute to him without mentioning Hogan considering their feuds in the 80s arguably made both men as big as they were. The first WM wouldn't have been the spectacle that it was.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2015, 19:46   #1727
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Very moving tribute for Rowdy Roddy Piper by WWE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMTYUjuuMg
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 06:47   #1728
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Just watching Raw from last night, haters say whatever they like about Cena - and they may even be right - but that guy's charity work is incredible, there's never been a WWE star like him.

For the unaware he made his 500th Make-A-Wish appearance. He could have done 250 and be doing an awesome job so double that is just amazing. You can tell he genuinely is a good person and loves doing it. You can also see why he never wants to turn heel.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 26-08-2015, 07:55   #1729
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

The problem a lot of the fans, me included, have with Cena is not his fault. It's the way he gets beaten down for most of the match and then comes back and wins in 5 minutes and looks like he hardly broke a sweat doing it. I have never been able to fault his work ethic, charity work or commitment to the company. It is the stupid Superman gimmick that kills him for a lot of people.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 13:39   #1730
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Think it's a bit hit and miss, he can put on an absolute epic if he's put with the right people, the matches against edge, especially the TLC match. Then you have your example which was prominent at Extreme Rules - Brock Lesnar's first official match back in WWE, i'd be inclined to blame Lesnar a bit though too, the guy was dire in that match, he looked like a log after 5 minutes and could barely move. I don't think Cena is the best at carrying a match alone, but again if you get the right guy with him he'll create an epic.

Punk and Edge were two of the best to get Cena looking great in the ring. Remember that piledriver?
Old 27-08-2015, 16:52   #1731
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Kevin Owens has made Cena look really good.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 27-08-2015, 21:59   #1732
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze

It's the same with a lot of people in WWE though. On their own, not that good. Put with the right person and there is a great match.

To be honest, I don't think that Edge & Christian, Hardy Boys and Dudley Boys would have had half the impact they did without the others to work with. No other team since then has managed to produce the same kind of chemistry as they did.
Old 28-08-2015, 13:00   #1733
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
It's the same with a lot of people in WWE though. On their own, not that good. Put with the right person and there is a great match.

To be honest, I don't think that Edge & Christian, Hardy Boys and Dudley Boys would have had half the impact they did without the others to work with. No other team since then has managed to produce the same kind of chemistry as they did.
The tag division back then was something else. It gave Edge a massive push and Jeff Hardy got one later on, albeit throwing it away with his career. Christian got pushed too but I think that's when we learned that main event stars in TNA wouldn't necessarily headline WWE PPV's all that we'll, Christian was a dud imo.

Last time I watched properly was probably the yes movement and the meteoric push Bryan got, both Punk and Bryan were a big loss imo. Never quite got the momentum coming back from the first injury.
Old 28-08-2015, 14:38   #1734
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

Yes Punk is a massive loss in WWE. I think they missed a trick WWE by not having him and Bryan teaming up together.
Old 28-08-2015, 16:34   #1735
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

WWE's problem with Punk was he never drew the 'right' money - ticket-buying fans who would go on to spend lots of merch money.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 28-08-2015, 21:00   #1736
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

Same with Bryan. If Vince doesn't get you or think you will be a draw, you get buried. Who knows how long Punk and Bryan could have carried the company for with a push, instead of half hearted ones. Fans still want Punk, just listen to the chants whenever they visit Chicago in particular but in general everywhere.
Old 30-08-2015, 06:35   #1737
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Another issue WWE has with Punk AND Bryan is their size. Nothing says smaller guys can't get over but imagine it's the MTV music awards or something and presenting one award is 50 Cent and (for example) WWE champion Daniel Bryan.

You'd have the man considered the 'best' and toughest in all the WWE being dwarfed by a meaner-looking and bigger non-wrestler.

I'm not saying it's right but WWE needs their top guy looking like a superstar at all times. Both men may only be 6'1" but at least Cena is 250lbs (and looks 250lb), his physique has always been awesome and Rollins has that arrogant spoilt film star look about him.

Look at previous champions. Obviously Lesnar and the Rock speak for themselves. Orton and Del Rio were both 6'5" and around the same weight. In fact the last time there was a 'smaller' WWE champion main eventing PPVs was when Miz had the title and I always had the impression they put the belt on him due to how he carried himself as a media superstar, and why they later (and unsuccessfully) tried to pair him with Flair.

There was that time when Jeff Hardy won the title but of course Punk cashed in his MITB the same night.

As a business WWE has to follow the money and a wrestler being massively popular does not always equate to him making serious cash for them. Merch is what makes the most money for the company, just watch how they bring out a new Cena t-shirt every few months. Up until few years ago the number 2 guy for merch sales was Rey Mysterio, kids just loved him (even at local indy shows I worked at there'd be kids asking if he was on the show) but it was clear they only put the title on him that time as a tribute to Eddie, again the average man in the street was simply bigger than him.

In smaller promotions where merchandise sales aren't so high to the point where they do literally anything to keep that cash cow going they'll happily put their titles on the popular talented guys regardless of size as that keeps the marks coming back and buying more tickets but for WWE if you don't have "little Jimmy" wanting your latest t-shirt, baseball cap, drinks mug, action figure etc then you won't ever be Vince's pet project.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 30-08-2015, 08:50   #1738
Central

Services: Sky + HD family pack 50mb XXL Phone M Sutton Coldfield TX
Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Another issue WWE has with Punk AND Bryan is their size. Nothing says smaller guys can't get over but imagine it's the MTV music awards or something and presenting one award is 50 Cent and (for example) WWE champion Daniel Bryan.

You'd have the man considered the 'best' and toughest in all the WWE being dwarfed by a meaner-looking and bigger non-wrestler.

I'm not saying it's right but WWE needs their top guy looking like a superstar at all times. Both men may only be 6'1" but at least Cena is 250lbs (and looks 250lb), his physique has always been awesome and Rollins has that arrogant spoilt film star look about him.

Look at previous champions. Obviously Lesnar and the Rock speak for themselves. Orton and Del Rio were both 6'5" and around the same weight. In fact the last time there was a 'smaller' WWE champion main eventing PPVs was when Miz had the title and I always had the impression they put the belt on him due to how he carried himself as a media superstar, and why they later (and unsuccessfully) tried to pair him with Flair.

There was that time when Jeff Hardy won the title but of course Punk cashed in his MITB the same night.

As a business WWE has to follow the money and a wrestler being massively popular does not always equate to him making serious cash for them. Merch is what makes the most money for the company, just watch how they bring out a new Cena t-shirt every few months. Up until few years ago the number 2 guy for merch sales was Rey Mysterio, kids just loved him (even at local indy shows I worked at there'd be kids asking if he was on the show) but it was clear they only put the title on him that time as a tribute to Eddie, again the average man in the street was simply bigger than him.

In smaller promotions where merchandise sales aren't so high to the point where they do literally anything to keep that cash cow going they'll happily put their titles on the popular talented guys regardless of size as that keeps the marks coming back and buying more tickets but for WWE if you don't have "little Jimmy" wanting your latest t-shirt, baseball cap, drinks mug, action figure etc then you won't ever be Vince's pet project.
Seth is not massive though. By that logic the belt should of been put on Roman or Brock at WM.
Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 16:34   #1739
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

McMahon sees it exactly how Russ has put it tbf, sad but true.

Bryan's crowd reactions were ridiculous, beating HHH and becoming world champion on the same night at Wrestlemania, the pop was immense. Punk against Cena had massive crowd reactions. I feel like we're once again stepping back to average crowds all in the favour of money. I honestly struggle to remember the last huge pop for someone considered a big guy besides The Rock. I'd love to see Kurt Angle back in WWE though. A lot of the younger generation and myself at one time failed to see what he brought until you realise he can put on a masterclass.

Used to think the same with Shelton Benjamin until I started noticing his matches were more exciting that the main event.
Old 10-09-2015, 23:49   #1740
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Kurt Angle won't renew TNA contract, Says he won't be talking to WWE either, although I'd love to see him return to WWE and have no doubts he eventually will, it's a bit cheeky saying 'I won't be pursuing a deal' like WWE would touch him at the minute given his multiple arrests for drinking and supposed drug issues. Could re-sign Jeff Hardy at the same time and maybe they could both show up high and try to perform in a ladder match.