Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who : Season 6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who : Season 6

Old 17-05-2011, 23:08   #151
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Doctor Who : Season 6

Multiple companions was the norm rather than the exception in classic Who. Sarah Jane Smith was the first regular solo companion (notwithstanding any odd occasions in the 60s I'm unaware of) - prior to her even when the Doctor had only one 'assistant' there was almost always at least one member of UNIT in the story.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2011, 09:54   #152
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

That's right the 3rd Doctor (Jon Pertwee) was 'marooned' on Earth for being a naughty time lord (actually budgetary constraints) and UNIT were around a lot along with Jo Grant.

Yes I'm an old git, I remember all that.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 16:23   #153
Dave9946
Inactive

Dave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the rough

Is it just me or has this years series got a far more grown up feel to it so far than in previous years since it came back?. Almost like it's finally trying to rid itself of the "it's just a kids show" label to a more serious family show?.
Dave9946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 17:02   #154
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Well it has always been described as a Family show anyway but yes, this year does seem to have seen a re-calibration of the scare-o-meter
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 17:21   #155
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

It is a family show. Even RTD said that, and apparently that was the reason he would not allow The Doctor to appear on Torchwood (he felt that associating the character in an adult show would devalue Doctor Who's family appeal).

But, one thing that people forgot (not saying you have) is that kids love to be scared. Steven Moffat appears to enjoy (and is good at) scaring people without losing the family appeal of the show.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 23:25   #156
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

This doctor has not had any scary adventures......

Anyway latest episode, not bad.

I expect to be wrong, but I'm calling that doppleganger doctor will survive the next episode and that it will be him that was on fact killed in the first episode.

No doubt there will be various twist and turns but that's my guess, what odds are anyone going to give me?
Old 22-05-2011, 23:34   #157
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

Anyway latest episode, not bad.

I expect to be wrong, but I'm calling that doppleganger doctor will survive the next episode and that it will be him that was on fact killed in the first episode.

No doubt there will be various twist and turns but that's my guess, what odds are anyone going to give me?
Actually, thats a pretty good theory for now.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 23:47   #158
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I wouldn't give you my Oods even if I had any..... oh, sorry. I mis-read that didn't I?!
Old 23-05-2011, 00:30   #159
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Bear in mind it is a family show so they can''t get away with what Hollywood counts as scary (ie Gore).
Old 28-05-2011, 15:33   #160
Dave9946
Inactive

Dave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It is a family show. Even RTD said that, and apparently that was the reason he would not allow The Doctor to appear on Torchwood (he felt that associating the character in an adult show would devalue Doctor Who's family appeal).

But, one thing that people forgot (not saying you have) is that kids love to be scared. Steven Moffat appears to enjoy (and is good at) scaring people without losing the family appeal of the show.
But this sort of responce is my whole point. RTD never (as 99% of Dr Who fans know) created Doctor Who so it was never his show or idea to set such a basis as it being a family tv program. Thats what annoys me in that a person contracted by the BBC can take credit or claim for a job that he was paid to do that was created and set for 42 years earlyer. A strict guide on what he could do. Prehaps the real credit goes to those who kept an eye on the re-development of the series and must have set a litime on what could be re-developed.

There is little doubt RTD done a good job but SM is doing far better in modernising a great British TV show
Dave9946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:05   #161
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9946 View Post
But this sort of responce is my whole point. RTD never (as 99% of Dr Who fans know) created Doctor Who so it was never his show or idea to set such a basis as it being a family tv program.
For most of it's life, Doctor Who was broadcast in the Saturday early evening slot which was - and still is - designated as a "family viewing" slot. So therefore RTD was actually spot on.

Quote:
There is little doubt RTD done a good job but SM is doing far better in modernising a great British TV show
But if RTD had not brought it back, SM would necessarily not be doing anything at all with it
Old 28-05-2011, 18:23   #162
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
But this sort of responce is my whole point. RTD never (as 99% of Dr Who fans know) created Doctor Who so it was never his show or idea to set such a basis as it being a family tv program. Thats what annoys me in that a person contracted by the BBC can take credit or claim for a job that he was paid to do that was created and set for 42 years earlyer. A strict guide on what he could do. Prehaps the real credit goes to those who kept an eye on the re-development of the series and must have set a litime on what could be re-developed.

Doctor Who was commissioned by Sydney Newman, the head of Drama at the BBC, in 1963. It was, from the outset, intended as an informative and entertaining show for children and their families which is why, over the whole run of the series, it has almost always been shown in a family slot on an early Saturday evening.

There is a constituency of sic-fi uber nerds out there that think sic fi isn't being done properly unless it's dark and edgy. Thankfully the various producers of the show down the years have almost always ignored them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 20:24   #163
Stuart
-

Quote:

I never implied that RTD did anything more than than bring back a good show. I don't think he did either.

However, the fact is that when Doctor Who was created, it was intended to be an entertaining family show that was also entertaining for kids.

Why do you think they made such a thing of Susan being the Dr's granddaughter? They wanted a pretty girl to attract an adult male audience, but thought it would be inappropriate for a family to show to include an old man who lives with a teenage girl.
Old 28-05-2011, 20:35   #164
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Thankfully the various producers of the show down the years have almost always ignored them.
Until now, unfortunately. Not that I'm not enjoying it
Old 28-05-2011, 20:36   #165
Stuart
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There is a constituency of sic-fi uber nerds out there that think sic fi isn't being done properly unless it's dark and edgy. Thankfully the various producers of the show down the years have almost always ignored them.
That's one thing that irritates me about Sci-Fi. People think it has to be dark and slightly forboding..

It irritates me because it presents (IMO) a wholly unrealistic view of people. That's one area where I think Battlestar Galactica was massively unrealistic. In my experience, people under that much stress often use humour to combat it. No one used humour in that show.

Doctor Who has often been quite dark, but has always had some element of humour in the show (often with variable results, admittedly).

Stephen Moffet overdid the humour in the last series, but he seems to have the correct balance now.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Anyway, on to a different subject. Did everyone like the ending of today's episode?