Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Football talk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Football talk
Closed Thread

Old 22-08-2004, 18:22   #1486
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing
Re: [Merged] - Football talk

Don't worry, nffc, you can say you support a side that has a joint record with Arsenal. And you lent us your kit back in the day, which is why we wear red, so ta for that too

[always had a soft spot for Forest]
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2004, 18:48   #1487
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

You'll have it outright on Weds though, you lot were superb today.

Rather it went to you lot than manUre though, and it's taken such an excellent football team a long time (and a lot of £s) to break it.

Our side was assembled on a shoestring, yet immediately after promotion we won the league, league cup twice, charity shield (5-0, still a record) and the european cup twice.

Old 22-08-2004, 19:11   #1488
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

All of which is a hell of a lot of effort and skill in order to have enough money to relieve us of Kevin Campbell. Cheers for that!

Pointless fact - Forest are the only side Ian Wright ever get sent off against playing for Arsenal. He tried hard against everybody else, mind you...

Superb today apart from Cygan who deserves to bend down and have his baldy head slapped by every Gooner in Highbury. Roll on Campbell (S) and perhaps the odd clean sheet might turn up. Won't be as exciting.

Boro look to have bought better than United in the summer - five goals in two games and Hasselbaink looking as bad as ever (until he scores, the git). Top six I reckon.
Old 22-08-2004, 19:35   #1489
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
10 players on two goals this season, 4 of them from the Arsenal. None, funnily enough, from Man Utd or Chelsea. Then again, those two have scored five goals fewer than Arsenal between them.
Two games in to the new season and less goals than the Arse - absolutely unforgiveable

Mind you, I guess the fact that United started the season without 8 key players (and more importantly, only one 1 senior striker - Alan Smith - I refuse to acknowledge 'Donkey' Diego Forlan as anything other than the world's most expensive doorstop) is wasted on most Arse fans....

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 22-08-2004, 20:46   #1490
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
All of which is a hell of a lot of effort and skill in order to have enough money to relieve us of Kevin Campbell. Cheers for that!

Pointless fact - Forest are the only side Ian Wright ever get sent off against playing for Arsenal. He tried hard against everybody else, mind you...
1- Kev Campbell: give the guy credit, he was OK when he wasn't injured. When he got good Irving S*holar decided to flog him to Trabzonspor for 3m (incidentally a 0.5m profit on the 2.5m we paid) against the wishes of both the player and harry bassett... the money from that was from the sale of Collymore to Liverpool (record 8.5m) of which the other money went on Chris Bart-Williams (2.5m from Sheff Weds) and Andrea Silenzi (1.5m from Torino) - the latter despite being Maradona's strike partner in Napoli couldn't "hit a back door with a banjo".

2- Ian Wright: remember it well, we were last in the league having not won since opening day (ironically a Campbell hat-trick 3-0 win v Coventry), Arsenal were top. And we're talking December as well. Arsenal take the lead and we think "oh here we go again" before an Alfie Haaland double overturns it for a 2-1 win to the Reds. Not bad, considering it was Psycho's first game as manager and the night before when picking the team with his wife he forgot to pick a keeper (and had 11 outfielders) :lol: We did OK for the first 6 weeks of Pearce's tenure until S*holar brought in hoofer Bassett and then we didn't win until the end of the season and went down only for van Hooijdonk and Campbell to tear the first division apart the season after. And the rest is history.

Old 23-08-2004, 11:05   #1491
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Sturrock leaves Southampton - who'd be a prem manager eh?
Old 23-08-2004, 16:38   #1492
yesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian
Sturrock leaves Southampton - who'd be a prem manager eh?
Geeeez He hasn't been there 5 minutes !!!!
Obviously his face did not fit.

Old 23-08-2004, 22:51   #1493
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

This record is scaring the hell outta me. We have proved ourselfs now, won the title without being beaten and on wednesday i hope to beat the record but it keeps getting talked about. We play great football, we have equalled the longest unbeten record, but now i want to win the title without this bloody record
Old 23-08-2004, 23:07   #1494
yesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...383388,00.html

No way!! He CANNOT go to Newcastle! Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, anyone simply has to buy him no matter what it takes, just to stop such a wasteful deal going through!!
You can breathe again now Russ

Old 23-08-2004, 23:10   #1495
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

we dont want that jumped up, media hyped, cocky, advert making excuse for a striker at arsenal
Old 23-08-2004, 23:15   #1496
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
we dont want that jumped up, media hyped, cocky, advert making excuse for a striker at arsenal
Va Va Voom
Old 24-08-2004, 00:25   #1497
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
This record is scaring the hell outta me. We have proved ourselfs now, won the title without being beaten and on wednesday i hope to beat the record but it keeps getting talked about. We play great football, we have equalled the longest unbeten record, but now i want to win the title without this bloody record
Let's not forget that the day this 'unbelievable' record was equalled was also the day that the Arse conceded 3 goals at home....not something that I'd consider should happen to a team as unbeatable as the Arse think they are. They're certainly a good side, but saturday proved that a team with a good enough defence to close their frontline down and a strong strikeforce can end the Arse's run, and best of all, at Highbury

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 24-08-2004, 09:57   #1498
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
whilst i admit the record equalling run is a superb acheivment and i think it will be broken on Wednesday night i don't think the team is as good as the Forest one. They won 2 European Cups as well during that spell and didn't buy in players with loads of money as they didn't have any. They were also all British or Irish as well.

Still well done to Arsenal but as a United fan hope you get beat soon
Old 24-08-2004, 10:03   #1499
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

we dont have a lot of money either most of out players where brought on the cheap
Old 24-08-2004, 10:23   #1500
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
we dont have a lot of money either most of out players where brought on the cheap
wasn't Henry bought for something like £12 million and Viera bought for about £6 million.

Also they soent a couple of million on Pires, Ljunberg, and Reyes although he only played a few games in the run.

Forrest didn't have that type of money to spend. Nor had Clough workde in the FA youth setup and so knew which young players to buy cheap.

They had also only just been promoted rather than being title challengers fir the past few seasons. That is why what Forrest did is better than what Arsenal did.

It's the same as say Palace who have just come up winning the league and European Cup twice
Closed Thread