Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | actiontec wireless router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

actiontec wireless router

Old 10-07-2006, 00:39   #1
homerw500
Inactive

homerw500 is an unknown quantity at this point
actiontec wireless router

Please can anyone recommend a good wireless router I have a actiontec and Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m on the 10meg connection if I take my router out I can hit close to 10meg but with the router in I only get about 5meg I want one that will not restrict my speed and I connect throw the Ethernet port

Many thanks
homerw500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2006, 01:14   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: actiontec wireless router

A lot of people around here like the Linksys WRT54G series. Essentially you need to ensure the wireless router will support 802.11g or higher standards. Those that only do "b" standards may only have a 10mbit, rather than 100mbit WAN (ethernet) port and that will only just about match the 10meg broadband.

Anyone having problems with router connections must check for conflicts with their antivirus / firewalls stuff. May also be worht checking the router's port is correctly set at format to match the modem (auto sensing may not work, might need half or full duplex and correct speed).
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:48   #3
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age
Re: actiontec wireless router

I switched from an Actiontec to a Linksys WRT54GS router. I was surprised at the vast improvement. The router is situated upstairs in the bedroom by the main computer. With the Actiontec, the connection was at its limit downstairs in the living room. Changing to the Linksys meant it was possible to have a very reasonable connection down at the far end of the garden. I've also used the laptop whilst in the neighbour's house with a reasonable connection too.
Buy it through the internet ordering at PC World for £54.98, and collect in store.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote