Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linsys WRT54GL - Slow Connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linsys WRT54GL - Slow Connection

Old 07-07-2006, 18:26   #1
Semi On
Inactive

Services: Sky TV Sky Broadband (16MB)
Semi On is just really niceSemi On is just really niceSemi On is just really niceSemi On is just really niceSemi On is just really niceSemi On is just really nice
Linsys WRT54GL - Slow Connection

I just bought one of these puppies so that my brother could share my internet connection and I could also control my PC (I have a Power Mac), but it's basically reduced my 10Mb connection to 1.5(ish)Mb.

Everything connects ok - my Bro's iMac can connect to t'internet and I can log into the PC fine, it's just dog slow. If I remove the router and go direct, speeds go back to normal.

I'm assuming I have everything connected right: Cable modem is connected to router via port on back marked "Internet", Mac and PC are connected to router via ports on back marked "1" and "2".

I've tried with bog-standard settings, then I had a play and changed some but no difference. I upgraded to a 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT) but all that did was give me even more settings to play with. Which would be fine if I knew what any of them did! I am extremely computer savvy, but networking is one area I've never needed nor been interested to dabble in, so I'm in way over my head here.

I know lots of folks round here have routers and such, so if anyone could suggest any settings I could tweak or something I'd be grateful. This is doing my nut in!
Semi On is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2006, 19:43   #2
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society
Re: Linsys WRT54GL - Slow Connection

How are you testing the speed of the router? What other applications are running on the machines it serves? What machine and OS are you using when connecting direct to the internet?

Have you taken a look at this forum and this other forum?

I use the older WRT54G (equivilant of the WRT54GL you have) with DD-WRT and have no problems at all - it runs as fast as my net connection will let it.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 19:43   #3
ben1390
cf.addict

ben1390 is on a distinguished roadben1390 is on a distinguished road

Maybe your brother is hogging all the bandwidth
ben1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 19:55   #4
Semi On
Inactive

Semi On is just really niceSemi On is just really niceSemi On is just really niceSemi On is just really niceSemi On is just really niceSemi On is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles
How are you testing the speed of the router?
Just by downloading files as normal via my browser. Downloads from apple.com have always given me a solid 1 - 1.2MB/s, and now they're down to 80 - 140KB/s. I also tried the speed test on these forums which reports 1 - 1.5Mb.

Quote:
What other applications are running on the machines it serves?
None at the moment. I turned off the PC for now, and my brother hasn't been online since I set everything up.

Quote:
What machine and OS are you using when connecting direct to the internet?
Power Mac/OS X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcreator
Maybe your brother is hogging all the bandwidth
Hehe...not yet.
Old 07-07-2006, 20:03   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I wonder if the modem / router is correctly sensing the port type - duplex / non duplex and 10 or 100 speeds?

You are powering the modem off when you connect / disconnect the router?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 21:17   #6
Semi On
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
I wonder if the modem / router is correctly sensing the port type - duplex / non duplex and 10 or 100 speeds?
Hmm...the plot thickens. I previously had to set those manually for both OS X and the modem because of slow speeds (this was before I had the router), but now after setting both to "auto" there's been some improvement. I can get 3 - 6Mb now...not perfect, but it's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
You are powering the modem off when you connect / disconnect the router?
Yes. I'm not sure what the best order to power-on is, though. Does it make much difference?
Old 07-07-2006, 21:29   #7
Mr J
Inactive

Services: NTL 10mb
Mr J is an unknown quantity at this point

just power cycle the modem really.

As long as the modem clears and picks the new mac address or old mac address from the router, if your spoofing and dhcp is running on your router, then just power cycling the modem is all that is required really, all I ever need to do.

If that doesn't then alot of people say: turn everything off at the plugs, power on modem, power on router, power on pc.

Have you messed with the config of the router at all? Encryption if has wireless, QOS settings etc?
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 22:18   #8
Semi On
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J
Have you messed with the config of the router at all? Encryption if has wireless, QOS settings etc?
I did, but have since reset back to factory defaults.

Things have gotten better. I managed to get 500KB/s from apple.com, and the forum speed test reported 9Mb about 20 minutes ago. But the next time I tried it reported 4Mb!
Old 07-07-2006, 23:52   #9
Mr J
Inactive

Services: NTL 10mb
Mr J is an unknown quantity at this point

Try running a trace to an ip address, say this site or google for instance, see if there are any spikes along the way.

Might just be some network traffic around your area causing the speed fluctuations.
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote