Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin / NTL - router disconnects

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin / NTL - router disconnects

Old 17-06-2006, 20:19   #1
sjb2
Inactive

sjb2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Belkin / NTL - router disconnects

First thread I've opened! I only joined the forum last night...

Our internet connection is almost unusable as it keeps on cutting out (only the modem light remains on the router - even the power light seems to have gone out). We have NTL:250 cable modem using 1Mb, Belkin Wireless G Router (802.11g) and Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter (802.11g).

I can see lots of people appear to have suffered with same / similar problems, but I can't work out what advice to follow ? Is it NTL ? Is it the Belkin router or my config. ?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm getting lots of hassle from the family!
sjb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2006, 20:37   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Belkin / NTL - router disconnects

TBH from what i have seen it is likely to be the Belkin router...

did you get disconnects before you put the router in?

The fact that even the power light on the router is going out suggests the router is at fault- based on the other threads of a similar nature i would say send the router back and try a different make/model instead.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 21:01   #3
sjb2
Inactive

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply - I've been struggling to get a connection working again!

I wasn't using a router + wireless before, I just connected PC to the NTL modem, but now we have a new PC and I wanted to put it downstairs. and then, my problems started!

If no other suggestions then I'll take it back to OfficeWorld tomorrow. Do I stay with the Belkin or switch to, say, Linksys ?

Steve
Old 17-06-2006, 21:09   #4
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

I have used linksys in the past, and would highly recommend them... others here report good experiences too

If you have a look in the articles section there is a discussion of router recommendations- and there is also a sticky at the top of this forum which gives the recommendations of lots of members
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 22:54   #5
jetsetradio
Inactive

jetsetradio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb2
First thread I've opened! I only joined the forum last night...

Our internet connection is almost unusable as it keeps on cutting out (only the modem light remains on the router - even the power light seems to have gone out). We have NTL:250 cable modem using 1Mb, Belkin Wireless G Router (802.11g) and Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter (802.11g).

I can see lots of people appear to have suffered with same / similar problems, but I can't work out what advice to follow ? Is it NTL ? Is it the Belkin router or my config. ?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm getting lots of hassle from the family!
I've had the same problem, what i've done is by going on http://192.168.2.1/ Channel and SSID Wireless Channel > 13, now i haven't been cut off for the last 2 days, since i've done it.
jetsetradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 16:36   #6
sjb2
Inactive

Thanks all

I've just replaced Belkin Router with Netgear (didn't have Linksys in stock). So far, so good. I'll let you know in a few days time how it has been going...

Steve