Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection Dropping - NTL + Belkin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connection Dropping - NTL + Belkin

Old 27-03-2006, 12:14   #1
hitmanuk2k
Inactive

hitmanuk2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Connection Dropping - NTL + Belkin

Sometimes my connection can work fine all the time. I can download, I can browse, I can use Instant Messaging all at once and it will be fine. Then other times, it will work for X amount of time and then stop working (the modem seems to stop transmitting). I can fix this simply by turning the modem power off and then back on. It will work again for X minutes before going off again. It is very annoying and I don't know why it does it. I tried contacting my router support at Belkin, but they just gave me firmware which makes no difference.

I have a Belkin f5d7230-4 Wireless G modem, and I have it connecting to NTL via my Telebox.

Thanks for your help in advance.

EDIT: Can I just add, I do not get the orange light like some people have reported in this forum. I have 2 out of 3 of the green lights go out, but one remains on.
hitmanuk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-03-2006, 16:56   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: Connection Dropping - NTL + Belkin

It's possible its overheating, try moving it to a less cluttered area and keep using it, if its the same, try moving the plug to somewhere with a little airflow. I was reccomended this by staff at my local Maplins electronics, amazingly, it worked
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 19:57   #3
hitmanuk2k
Inactive

OK I have moved the router away from everything else (it had been sat on the TV) and put the plug into a different socket. Will report back in 15 minutes if I get disconnected or not!
Old 27-03-2006, 20:24   #4
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Sounds fair.

See you in 15 minutes :p
Old 27-03-2006, 22:07   #5
hitmanuk2k
Inactive

It is still disconnecting. I am finding it stays on longer without MSN running if that helps anyone come up with a diagnosis. And FYI, it is the power light which remains on when everything else goes off.
Old 30-03-2006, 14:16   #6
hitmanuk2k
Inactive

Bump
Old 30-03-2006, 16:07   #7
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Contact NTL, tell them your modem is dead. Well, ask them to run diagnostics on it etc. nd then insist it be replaced.

Of course, only do this aftee taking the router out and testing direct connection to the modem itself.
Old 30-03-2006, 16:19   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Hitman, when this drop happens are you able to check your email?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote