Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Speed testing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Speed testing

Old 28-03-2006, 15:13   #1
g7pkf
Inactive

g7pkf is an unknown quantity at this point
Speed testing

I have over the last few days been testing some wireless products for my company at home. i am not going to mention names but i tried 3 different manufacturers all with similar results of throughput. setup was adifferent matter anyway here's the results (might shock you)

I tested with nothing else connected to the cable modem and used an accesspoint and pcmcia card from the same manufacturer in each case.

the test machine was a dell laptop 3ghz 2Gb ram--in other words a good spec. each time loaded with a clean win xp pro.

Now i found that wireless 802.11G no one got above 7 Mb so i got concerned that my download speed was "iffy" and as a result and a benchmark connected via my inbuilt broadcom network card straight to cable modem.

each test was repeated 30 times avaerages are shown as well as peak:-

here's the results:-

MANUFACTURER 1 6.15 Mb down 468K up Average 6.30 down 489K up

MANUFACTURER 2 5.85 Mb down 456K up Average 6.11 down 481K up

MANUFACTURER 3 6.06 Mb down 470K up Average 6.23 down 499K up

100mb lan 8.91Mb down 510K up Average 9.76Mb up 517K down peak

I then dug out "old trusty" which is a compaq wl110 802.11b (11mb) wireless card and a matching 802.11b access point.

2.99Mb down 389k up average 3.29Mb up 414K down Peak.

so if your running a speed test it suggests that wireless lan will give you a "false reading" has anyone else noticed this or have i just wasted 7 Hours of testing (as i will have to re-do it)

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

why was this moved?

it directly relates to problems with speed testing on the ntl network and how un-reliable they could be

should have benn made a sticky i would have thought?
g7pkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2006, 15:23   #2
mudkumpf
Inactive

Services: Ntl 10Meg (allegedly)
mudkumpf is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Speed testing

I'm guessing it was moved because all it seems to suggest (IMHO) is that all 3 wireless points give slower results that a direct connection to the CM. In that case, it's not an NTL issue, but rather a Wires vs wireless issue.

Maybe I missed the point....
mudkumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 15:33   #3
g7pkf
Inactive

g7pkf is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Speed testing

yes but how often will someone test there speed moan its not up to much complain post and waste everyones time just coz there on a wireless connection?
g7pkf is offline   Reply With Quote