Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | another ntl wireless network question!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

another ntl wireless network question!

Old 21-03-2006, 13:05   #1
jba
Inactive

jba is an unknown quantity at this point
another ntl wireless network question!

Okay, I've just moved flat to somewhere with an ntl box wired in, so thought I'd go for cable broadband rather than adsl as it means I don't have to pay for a BT line as well.

My girlfriend and I both have laptops so would like to set up a network with both laptops going wireless. I've just spent 1.5hours at work (shhh, do't tell the boss) reading this forum, which is fantastic for someone who doesn't have a clue...(i.e. me ). My understanding is that I need a cable router (I've seen the Linksys WRT54G recommended) and a wireless network card for each laptop. Is that all I need? And will that mean the only thing that needs to be plugged in is the router into the ntl box?

Thanks for a confirmation either way, and sorry for what must be the 100000000th time this has been asked.
jba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2006, 13:48   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: another ntl wireless network question!

to the site

Thats right, you need the router as that allows you to share the connection, and the wireless cards in each PC so they can talk to the router.

The router will then have a WAN or Internet port and that is where you plug the NTL modem in.

You may or may not have a modem at the moment. You must use the modem supplied by NTL. Once you get an account with NTL (if you dont already have one), they will provide you with the broadband modem.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 13:48   #3
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Pretty much correct.

Linksys WRT54G is a solid performer (Using one right now). If the laptops don't already have wireless, get the Linksys PCCard wireless (WPC54G) card.

You will need an ethernet cable plugged into one laptop to setup the router initially (Linksys supply one with the router), but once wireless is working you have Router connected to NTL Cable Modem and no other wires
Make sure you don't forget about security - WPA encryption is appropriate for home use and pretty easy to set up with the wrt54g.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 13:58   #4
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn
You will need an ethernet cable plugged into one laptop to setup the router initially (Linksys supply one with the router)
To be honest if you dont even need to do that, I'm trying out a dlink wireless and i just nipped upto the loft and plugged it into the mains and adsl line and nipped down hit the 192.168.1.1 page and cofiged the connection, did a soft reboot and all worked great. Did not need encryption as the wireless signal does not reach to the edge of the property.

For a ntl connection it would be even simpler esp through a cable modem. You can plug and go in many cases without looking at the cd suplied with ntl or the router.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 14:01   #5
jba
Inactive

jba is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help guys!
jba is offline   Reply With Quote