Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Telewest - Add Wireless to existing setup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Telewest - Add Wireless to existing setup

Old 02-12-2005, 13:34   #1
wee_boaby
Inactive

wee_boaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Telewest - Add Wireless to existing setup

Hi.

I wonder if anyone can help.

I currently have 2 Desktop PCs connected to Telewest Broadband. I have a Motorola SB4200 SURFBoard Cable Modem, connected to a generic 4 port Broadband Router, using 2 ports to connect to the PCs.

My wife has her heart set on a laptop for Christmas, but she only really wants the laptop so she can sit downstairs and play online Scrabble (the kids guard their PCs jealously). I would like to connect the laptop to my LAN, but I would prefer not to run a cable through the floor upstairs, so I was thinking Wireless.

Can anyone recommend a device that I can run a cable to from one of the ports on the Broadband router that would allow a wireless connection to the laptop. I am happy with the current setup for the 2 desktops, and don't really want to start from scratch, if I can help it.

Many Thanks.
wee_boaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2005, 13:44   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Telewest - Add Wireless to existing setup

What you need is a Wireless Access Point, such as the Linksys model here. I've not used that exact model myself, but my Linksys router has been going strong for two years.

I would however point out that a WAP is about the same price as a full Wireless Router - one box instead of two? Router recommendations can be found here. And Security info for wireless here.

HTH ( and )
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 13:47   #3
wee_boaby
Inactive

wee_boaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Telewest - Add Wireless to existing setup

Thanks very much for your help. Excellent news for Mrs WB.
wee_boaby is offline   Reply With Quote