Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless router Acting up after FW update

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless router Acting up after FW update

Old 29-11-2005, 13:18   #1
stilllife
Inactive

stilllife is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless router Acting up after FW update

afternoon. I have this router currently, WIRELESS BROADBAND ROUTER - WGR614 54 Mbps Wireless Cable Router with 4-port Switch. After a recent update to the new FW for the router, it now seems to drop the wireless connection to the laptop. It is a Dell 9200 Inpirion with built-in wireless card. I have two other pc's wired to the router with no problems. Before the upgrade all worked fine, now it seems to connect the laptop when it boots up and all is great. After you are done and shut the lid (laptop goes to 'sleep') and at a later stage open it up again, it pops up with 'connected to .... network - wireless' so it see's the network. connects to it but refuses to give me any access to the web. I have to repair the connection which sometimes fixes the issue but rather more than not I have to shut it down an redo the whole process. I know the normal process would be to roll back the FW on the router. I would like to keep the the latest FW if possible. Anyone shed any light on this.
stilllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-11-2005, 13:24   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Wireless router Acting up after FW update

to the forum.

I know it's little use in your circumstances, but I have a similar problem with my laptop (Dell) which appears to maintain its wireless connection to my Belkin router even when its gone to sleep and been re-awakened, but won't connect to anything (even the router config screen). I find in my case that stopping, ejecting and re-inserting the wireless card is the quickest way to restore things.

I had thought this was just down to naff programming on Belkin's part (the wifi card and driver software is also belkin) so I'm sorry to hear Linksys are at it too, especially if they have introduced this problem as a result of a firmware update.

I suppose the update may have introduced a compatibility issue with your laptop's wireless card or its driver - have you checked for updates for that? Failing that, there are a number of Linksys users on this forum, hopefully one of them will have an idea.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 13:48   #3
stilllife
Inactive

Afternoon. Ty for the welcome.

Unfortunately the wireless is built into the laptop so I'm not able to pop it out. Its really frustrating, nothing hinders wireless connectivity more than no connectivity

Await further feedback.
Old 29-11-2005, 13:58   #4
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

if you right click on the screen and select properties then screensaver then power from the bottom you can tune what your ps does when you close the lid.

Not a great solution but will make sure you laptop does not go to sleep.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 15:52   #5
stilllife
Inactive

yea. thought of that. but not a fan of leaving it churning away for hours at a time when doing nothing. Would rather fix it so I don't have to find a fiddly way round this. cheers though.