Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | before i chop my head off...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

before i chop my head off...

Old 23-09-2005, 01:59   #1
clupet
Inactive

clupet is on a distinguished roadclupet is on a distinguished road
Unhappy before i chop my head off...

i have a ntl broadband into pc, and a asus wireless network card connected intthe back, a lovely new laptop occaisonally it connects and lets me "surf the net" vie explorer, then it either stops either being connected via its network connection or worse!! is still connected but i cant view the internet. I have switched everything off and rebooted, i also have proxy settings for edinburgh in both from the ntl help site and being in glasgow i cant view this site without the proxy setting. Anyone got any advice before i sue "wireless connection" under the trade description act or chop my head off. many thanks xx ps both are xp
clupet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-09-2005, 02:30   #2
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star
Re: before i chop my head off...

Hiya sorry I am not able to help too much as I am learning about wireless, but have you tried various other proxies? and done the normal scans etc.

Plus there is nothing close to interfere with the wireless card is there.

I am sure in the morning a few others will be here to help you.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 02:34   #3
clupet
Inactive

ive tried lots but in case i leae something out what scans do you mean, sorry im just at the stage where kicking the computers would be the bestest option!
Old 23-09-2005, 08:07   #4
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

clupet...are you using the lovely thing called Internet Sharing from MickeySoft???? if so good luck mate..you could try to set a different channel on your wireless card via the properties of it and see if that works.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 08:22   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Think we need to know a few basics like what operating system you are running, are any firewalls involved, are you using a wireless router or just a wireless card in the back of the main PC.
As above is internet connection sharing in use? Try taking the proxy settings out of the laptop as it is effectively connecting via the desktop if you are using ICS.
Also it could just be an issue with the wireless networking, how far from the main pc are you when using the laptop and have you tried adjusting settings in your wireless card setup?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 09:30   #6
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

What paul said... If you are using MS ICS then it is better to switch to a connection through a router.

Also where is the aerial on the wireless card on the PC. I found the metal casing of the PC (and the metal casing of the file cabinet next to it) crippled my wireless connection. I had to get a longer CAT5 cable and move the router off the top of the PC case and onto a shelf nearby.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 09:37   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

CLUPET - try changing the channel that the wireless is using, if the SSID broadcast is disabled try and enable it.

With regards to proxies you could try and change it to another one or let IE chose which proxy it wants.

Another thing I've hear that some cordless phone affect a wirless signal.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 09:51   #8
NitroNutter
Inactive

Services: You cannot afford me!!!
NitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation era

MS ICS only generally has a problem in certain scenarios, ie you try to connect in pasv mode to a remote ftp that is also behind a router, especially if that ftp server has not been setup correctly.
As for h/w routers like linksys, smc d-link etc well they really are as much if not more of a joke than Windows ICS, most are based on something like a 486 25Mhz cpu and have huge restrictions with it, break the 1000 or so port restriction at your peril, and yes generally the 1000 or so port restricion in most routers is rarely documented.
You cannot beat a throw an older PC together with twin nic and external switches with almost any linux/bsd installation for a router, unless you want to get something at an extortionate fee from the likes of cisco
As for wireless dropping connections well its wireless and prone to atmospheric conditions. You will never get maximum speed from any wireless setup, its also insecure and very hackable locally. Just out of interest what time of day does this happen, could it be say the Mrs puts the microwave on to heat something up cuz that will likely kill your wireless stone dead, could even be your neighbour turning on their microwave, it will appear connected but it cannot use the link for any transfers, there are other milder atmospheric conditions that can and will affect PC wireless devices, like do you have a mobile mast quite close by ?

Hardwire all the way, its easy and a lot less likely to give you a connection problem, and way more secure.
NitroNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 21:36   #9
clupet
Inactive

thanks for all the advice, i tried switching off the phone, trying loads of different setting and just keeps dropping well know i cant access the net is sticks on acquiring address. Its at all times of the night so Ive decided im going to get a wireless router tommorow , this is just too annoying bought a laptop to stop the arguing over the pc and I still cant access the internet. thanks for your help ive been reading about which router to buy on this site you guys are a smart lot!

Old 23-09-2005, 22:24   #10
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

smart bet mate.....ICS on mickeysoft is just wayyyyy too much of a hassle if it works your blessed if it doesnt your f**ked and not a thing you can do about it

oww at Nitro...you still need something like ICS on lany *nix platform mate and no matter what your running yer kinda screwed

so my best bet is to buy a router
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 23:05   #11
clupet
Inactive

I got a router and its works a treat, going round the house with my laptop just cos I can!! technology... and to think i can remember being amazed at pac man!