Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | problems setting up wireless

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

problems setting up wireless

Old 01-09-2005, 10:39   #1
dalboy
Inactive

dalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about them
problems setting up wireless

ok i have NTL on the downstairs pc. this machine has a netgear wireless card.

pc upstairs also has a netgear wireless card and i used to be able to surf the net on this via downstairs connection through the wireless network. had to reinstall machine and im having problems

i can connect them to each other and ping one another from each pc, but cant surf the web from the upstairs pc. ive tried everything i know - enabling and diasabling wep encryption, sharing the ntl connection (which ive always left as allow to be shared) i just dont know what im doing wrong as there are only a few options in the wireless settings.

ive assigned the downstairs pc wireless card an ip of 192.168.1.101 and upstairs 192.168.1.102 with default gateway as 192.168.1.101

this used to work fine 100% before re-install. the ips are fine cos i can ping one another but cant get the internet to work upstairs!!

help!!

p.s no firewalls etc... activated.
dalboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2005, 10:51   #2
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: problems setting up wireless

It's way easier to switch your ntl pc to ethernet and get a router...

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:54   #3
dalboy
Inactive

dalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about themdalboy has a spectacular aura about them

can you explain how i do this?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:37   #4
nffc
cf.mega poster

nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quite easily and IMO, it knocks the spots of ICS and is expandable so if you wanna add more PCs you can. Also, you don't need to have the PC on when the 2nd one wants to access the net.

There are several types you can get but I'd recommend one of a Belkin, Linksys or Netgear as they seem to be most reliable, as for protocols 802.11g is the best. You need one that doesn't have a modem in as ntl have provided you with one, they are usually called cable routers. There's threads you can find on (wireless) routers here:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=33018
and one on securing wireless here
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8435
which I can't emphasise the importance of enough.

If you look around online and find one you want anyone to take a look at then feel free to post back- likewise, if you get one and are experiencing setup issues...

HTH

Old 01-09-2005, 11:39   #5
dalboy
Inactive

hiya thanks a bunch for the help

i have a d-link DI-514 that someone has given to me

is this ok to use?

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=DI-514
Old 01-09-2005, 11:42   #6
nffc
cf.mega poster

Looks fine but:
- it's only 802.11b meaning a maximum rate of 11 Mb/s not 54
- there's no support for WPA although WEP isn't too bad- may well need a firmware upgrade though these should be free.

NB if you are using USB for your ntl then switch to ethernet and use the pc on ntl before setting up your router

HTH

Old 01-09-2005, 11:45   #7
dalboy
Inactive

yeah was gonna do that. if i switch from usb to ethernet cable on the ntl modem do i need to change any settings. or is it basically another way to connect a modem to the pc using a different type cable. thanks again, very helpful
Old 01-09-2005, 23:35   #8
nffc
cf.mega poster

Nope, simply turn pc and modem off, switch the cabling, and turn the modem and pc on in that order.

It should work straight off although you may want to uninstall the driver and detritus the usb will leave.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:41   #9
dalboy
Inactive

thanks for your help matey. after a bit of fiddling i managed to get it all to work. much better now, thanks again!