Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 18-10-2017, 19:42   #3076
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes.
Thanks Ben. Good to know.
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2017, 21:01   #3077
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Sky One is also being rebroadcast on Virgin Media Preview - Channel 100.

It will happen on October 25th from 9pm to 2am.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 18-10-2017, 21:07   #3078
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Kix Power has been removed today from Virgin Channel 738[
Seems odd that, it's been showing a slate saying that it'll be back at some point for ages. Looks like they may have changed their mind!
Old 18-10-2017, 21:41   #3079
jj20x

Quote:
Kix Power has been removed today from Virgin Channel 738.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Seems odd that, it's been showing a slate saying that it'll be back at some point for ages. Looks like they may have changed their mind!
It is still in the EPG section of the SDT listed on channel 738 but it has been flagged as hidden. It is also has the flag usually associated with a placeholder but doesn't currently have the flag generally used for end-of-service placeholders. Maybe VM are leaving the gate open for it to return at some point.

SID 4403 Test V1 (one of the 16 new services added to the SDT) has now been added to NIT of 4 VM internal networks usually associated with testing. It moved from EPG slot 17 to channel 947 and the hidden flag has been removed. 947 is in the radio section of the EPG, but Test V1 is currently flagged in the entertainment category, not the radio category. Hmmm...

Old 18-10-2017, 21:45   #3080
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
SID 4403 Test V1 (one of the 16 new services added to the SDT) has now been added to NIT of 4 VM internal networks usually associated with testing. It moved from EPG slot 17 to channel 947 and the hidden flag has been removed. 947 is in the radio section of the EPG, but Test V1 is currently flagged in the entertainment category, not the radio category. Hmmm...
BBC Radio Cymru 2?

Any thing on the other "Test" Channels?
Old 19-10-2017, 00:24   #3081
jj20x

Quote:
BBC Radio Cymru 2?

Any thing on the other "Test" Channels?
The other "Test" channels are just names in the SDT at the moment, until they actually start to be used / tested and are added to the NIT tables of specific regions.

I wouldn't like to guess about BBC Radio Cymru 2, adding it wouldn't be a big secret, so why the cryptic name? It isn't flagged as Radio, so maybe a new EPG section? There is a large gap of unused channel numbers in the radio section and the channel 951+ stations could maybe be renumbered, clearing space for a new section? Just a thought...

Old 19-10-2017, 01:26   #3082
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

"Channel Moved" - Virgin Channel 144 is no longer on the Virgin Media EPG.

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:24 ----------

Quote:
The other "Test" channels are just names in the SDT at the moment, until they actually start to be used / tested and are added to the NIT tables of specific regions.

I wouldn't like to guess about BBC Radio Cymru 2, adding it wouldn't be a big secret, so why the cryptic name? It isn't flagged as Radio, so maybe a new EPG section? There is a large gap of unused channel numbers in the radio section and the channel 951+ stations could maybe be renumbered, clearing space for a new section? Just a thought...
If up to 16 new channels are set to launch it will be from the number of broadcasters.
Old 19-10-2017, 01:31   #3083
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

If I were a betting man i'd say that VM are to add more BBC local radio stations to the EPG.

Before the advent of NGTV, some areas had their own BBC local radio station on the EPG. After the introduction of NGTV, we all got BBC Radio London on channel 937.

There are currently 40 local BBC radio stations; i'm not sure how many are now IP delivered

Benefits for VM are that there would be no carriage costs on either side for these channels and that it would be a USP because Sky doesn't have them and (I think) Freeview only carries your own local station.

Benefits for VM customers would be that we wouldn't need to go via the Tune In app, "ex-pats" could keep up to date with their old home and that we would be able to record programmes, create series links etc.

Now that ViLoR is being rolled out across the UK (making local radio IP based), it's probably much easier for VM to pick up all the feeds off the internet wherever their headend/s are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/technol...30802172702565

Perhaps there are 16 stations running on ViLoR and VM are to initially add these; this would also tie in with these "test" channels being placed in an area usually used for internet based services like apps & BBC Red Button streams.

Edit: 18 BBC local radio stations currently use ViLoR. As 2 may already be on the EPG and delivered by traditional means eg London and one of the Nations, maybe that's why they only need to create another 16??

A more worrying thought as the world seems to become more unstable/unsafe is that local radio will probably be best placed to broadcast news, information and advice than any other medium (including the TV Wartime Broadcasting Service). Maybe it's thought that underground cable is less likely to be impacted by severe weather, war, terrorist attacks etc. Let's hope to God that VM don't know something we don't!!!

Bit of a jump there, so I'm off to bed

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-10-2017 at 02:03. Reason: Update.
Old 19-10-2017, 04:28   #3084
jj20x

Quote:
Maybe it's all Kim Jong-un's fault...

All of the BBC LRs are available online in multiple formats, ViLoR is more about streamlining and centralising LR infrastructure. A nice theory though.

Perhaps someone will be able to match up the pattern of the "Test" service names with some theory.

As we know, Test V1 has been added to the NIT on various networks. The following have yet to appear:

Test W1, Test W2, Test W3, Test W4, Test W5, Test W6
Test X1, Test X2
Test Y1, Test Y2, Test Y3, Test Y4, Test Y5
Test Z1, Test Z2

Any theories?

---------- Post added at 03:28 ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 ----------

Quote:
"Channel Moved" - Virgin Channel 144 is no longer on the Virgin Media EPG.
Probably moved back to the graveyard section of the EPG, where it usually resides.

Quote:
If up to 16 new channels are set to launch it will be from the number of broadcasters.
I would agree for new channels but will these be linear broadcast channels, EPG linked apps or something else?

Old 19-10-2017, 11:30   #3085
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
If I were a betting man i'd say that VM are to add more BBC local radio stations to the EPG.

Before the advent of NGTV, some areas had their own BBC local radio station on the EPG. After the introduction of NGTV, we all got BBC Radio London on channel 937.

There are currently 40 local BBC radio stations; i'm not sure how many are now IP delivered

Benefits for VM are that there would be no carriage costs on either side for these channels and that it would be a USP because Sky doesn't have them and (I think) Freeview only carries your own local station.

Benefits for VM customers would be that we wouldn't need to go via the Tune In app, "ex-pats" could keep up to date with their old home and that we would be able to record programmes, create series links etc.

Now that ViLoR is being rolled out across the UK (making local radio IP based), it's probably much easier for VM to pick up all the feeds off the internet wherever their headend/s are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/technol...30802172702565

Perhaps there are 16 stations running on ViLoR and VM are to initially add these; this would also tie in with these "test" channels being placed in an area usually used for internet based services like apps & BBC Red Button streams.

Edit: 18 BBC local radio stations currently use ViLoR. As 2 may already be on the EPG and delivered by traditional means eg London and one of the Nations, maybe that's why they only need to create another 16??

A more worrying thought as the world seems to become more unstable/unsafe is that local radio will probably be best placed to broadcast news, information and advice than any other medium (including the TV Wartime Broadcasting Service). Maybe it's thought that underground cable is less likely to be impacted by severe weather, war, terrorist attacks etc. Let's hope to God that VM don't know something we don't!!!

Doesn't the V6 already have an internet radio app. I am sure the Radioline app was recently added which gives access to most UK radio stations including the BBC. Why would VM use up more broadcast bandwidth when the facility to receive the stations is already there?

Last edited by nodrogd; 19-10-2017 at 11:40.
Old 19-10-2017, 14:56   #3086
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Regional BBC variations in HD?
Old 19-10-2017, 15:27   #3087
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
BBC & ITV HD regions are carried on TS 104. TS 44 isn't regional, at least, not at the moment.

Old 19-10-2017, 17:11   #3088
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Maybe it's all Kim Jong-un's fault...

All of the BBC LRs are available online in multiple formats, ViLoR is more about streamlining and centralising LR infrastructure. A nice theory though.

Perhaps someone will be able to match up the pattern of the "Test" service names with some theory.

As we know, Test V1 has been added to the NIT on various networks. The following have yet to appear:

Test W1, Test W2, Test W3, Test W4, Test W5, Test W6
Test X1, Test X2
Test Y1, Test Y2, Test Y3, Test Y4, Test Y5
Test Z1, Test Z2

Any theories?

Probably moved back to the graveyard section of the EPG, where it usually resides.

I would agree for new channels but will these be linear broadcast channels, EPG linked apps or something else?
I didn't go to bed in the end as my head was hurting, so put the TV on. At exactly 6am all TV & BB went down. I tried a reboot, but it came up with a channels loading bar that stuck at 16%. Probably cos the BB was down; the V6 must need the internet to populate the EPG.

I rang VM to tell them about it, press 1, press, 2 etc and entered my password. Only at that point did it tell me they were closed until 8am grrrrrr. It was at that point that I really decided that it was time for bed

One thing that makes me doubt my own theory is why all the coded names? BBC local radio is hardly earth shattering . Maybe they are to follow Sky and use codes all the time to frustrate the likes of us!

Also, ViLoR isn't infallible:

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2017/09/eig...s-fall-silent/

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Doesn't the V6 already have an internet radio app. I am sure the Radioline app was recently added which gives access to most UK radio stations including the BBC. Why would VM use up more broadcast bandwidth when the facility to receive the stations is already there?
Sorry, I said the Tune-In app earlier, it's actually the Radioline app as you say.

All the national stations are also available in the app, as well as on the EPG.

Being on the EPG would enable us to record, set series links, set reminders etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Good thinking John and maybe this is why the services are being added piecemeal.

There are currently 15 local BBC1's (the three Nations are already HD) and BBC2 Scotland (the only difference is the last 20 minutes of Newsnight)

This makes a total of 16!

Only the other week, the Points Of View programme answered a viewers question about the time being taken to roll out the regional variations in HD. They said that budgetary constraints had led to them having to use "imaginative ways" to carry out the task.

Maybe they meant that it will be delivered over the internet??

The use of codes may be that they want to keep it secret before making a formal announcement for all platforms.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-10-2017 at 17:14.
Old 19-10-2017, 17:56   #3089
jj20x

Quote:
I rang VM to tell them about it, press 1, press, 2 etc and entered my password. Only at that point did it tell me they were closed until 8am grrrrrr. It was at that point that I really decided that it was time for bed
Fun times, at least you didn't get through to the call centre in India only to be advised that you can use the downtime to make a cup of tea or coffee. So helpful...

Quote:
One thing that makes me doubt my own theory is why all the coded names? BBC local radio is hardly earth shattering . Maybe they are to follow Sky and use codes all the time to frustrate the likes of us!
Indeed, using coded names would make sense, such as with the abortive Amazon Video tests. Maybe not for BBC services though.

Quote:
Also, ViLoR isn't infallible:

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2017/09/eig...s-fall-silent/
Yes, I remember that. Unfortunate that a fault with centralised equipment can lead to the whole network falling over. So much for progress...

Quote:
There are currently 15 local BBC1's (the three Nations are already HD) and BBC2 Scotland (the only difference is the last 20 minutes of Newsnight)

This makes a total of 16!
Don't forget that BBC Two also has variations for Wales & NI and VM probably wouldn't be interested in HD variations for the Channel Islands, not having a cable tv service there. The important point here is that they aren't going to get 16 HD streams on one "national" transport stream. Technically. HD & SD channels can co-exist on the same transport stream, although VM usually keep them separate. TS ID 44 usually carries pop-up SD channels.

Quote:
Only the other week, the Points Of View programme answered a viewers question about the time being taken to roll out the regional variations in HD. They said that budgetary constraints had led to them having to use "imaginative ways" to carry out the task.

Maybe they meant that it will be delivered over the internet??
It sounds like another excuse to kick the can further down the road.

Quote:
The use of codes may be that they want to keep it secret before making a formal announcement for all platforms.
Although, in theory, an Ofcom licence should be issued before any broadcasts start. Not that Ofcom are 100% reliable at publishing the details promptly.

Last edited by jj20x; 19-10-2017 at 18:05.

Old 19-10-2017, 19:22   #3090
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

A chap who works in the industry has offered me his thoughts on the theory (but also has his doubts):

"For Virgin to deliver all BBC 1 regions in HD, would still require the Beeb to upgrade the distribution and contribution circuits to each regional studio to HD, and equip the SD regions with upscalers and downscalers, which is a large chunk of the upgrade work they do not have the funds for.

Unless, Virgin are going to take the current BBC1 HD England feed, and 'splice' up converted regional feeds during the opt out slots. I can't imagine the BBC agreeing to that, and I'm not sure Ofcom would be too happy from a service licensing perspective".

Maybe VM are to somehow make channels 108 and 162 swap over to the SD feed for the local news etc instead of the holding slate currently provided??

That's a good point about the Channel Islands, I never thought about that!

So, from a VM point of view there are only 14 regional BBC1's plus 3 BBC2's which adds up to 17. If VM show BBC1 London news on the proper BBC1 HD channel 108, that gets it down to 16 again!

Here's hoping that this is correct and that any Ofcom & service licensing issues have been overcome!

Whilst viewers outside London, Scotland, Wales and NI wouldn't get their local programmes in HD, at least they wouldn't have to faff about changing from 108 to 101 and 162 to 102.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-10-2017 at 19:34.
Closed Thread