Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 31-08-2015, 13:12   #136
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
thats exactly it, compared to other nations we poor. FTTC and cable are not as good as FTTP.
I accept that companies like Hyperoptic can do 1Gbit over their FTTP networks, but that is in part the fact it's a new build network as much as it is being FTTP.

DOCSIS 3.1 allows for much faster speeds without FTTP, so for cable there isn't such as pressing need.
Old 31-08-2015, 14:34   #137
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I accept that companies like Hyperoptic can do 1Gbit over their FTTP networks, but that is in part the fact it's a new build network as much as it is being FTTP.
Perhaps more accurate is to say that it's FTTP because it's new build.

No business case in overbuild when you can upgrade your existing network to deliver gigabit speeds.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 15:45   #138
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Do you have a SH?
Yes I do, config is 60/3. According to the web site the upgrade was completed earlier this year (Feb/March'ish?) delayed from August last year.

Had the original letter offering the free AUTOMATIC upgrade, still waiting...

...in the last few weeks performance has been shocking, lucky to get even 5mbits in afternoon/evening.

As I can get Infinity 2, seriously considering switching, after 15 years with originally the NTL 512k service.
Old 31-08-2015, 15:57   #139
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Have you ever contacted VM regarding this? Via phone, community forum, email, letter ?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 16:26   #140
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Have you ever contacted VM regarding this? Via phone, community forum, email, letter ?
To be perfectly frank, no.

My experiences with VM customer service would make walking to hell and back seem like a nice stroll in the park, guess I was just unlucky who I got to speak with.

I think I have a ntl email address somewhere, can't remember the last time I even logged in to it.

As for writing a letter? Better things to do with my time - earning a living to pay the bills :-)

Community forum? Guessing there is something like this place but run by VM?

As I said with the dire performance (can get more than double what VM are delivering through my mobile phone), I don't see why it's on me when they promised and failed to deliver a service.
Old 31-08-2015, 16:28   #141
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Services: VM XL TV, Phone, 100mbit Internet.
Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

Well it seems like you can either sit back and wait for it to happen, or spend 5 minutes on the phone and ask them to upgrade you.
Hans Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 16:37   #142
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
Well it seems like you can either sit back and wait for it to happen, or spend 5 minutes on the phone and ask them to upgrade you.
Well. I've read lots of threads on here where people have upgraded and the performance has plummeted like a stone.

All I want is what I am paying for.

If VM would ever get their finger out and offer sensible upload speeds....on that metric alone BT have a very good headstart.

I did login to my online account and saw that I could "order" an upgrade, the wording kind of suggested it was a new 12 month contract, so out of the question.
Old 31-08-2015, 16:39   #143
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Yes I do, config is 60/3. According to the web site the upgrade was completed earlier this year (Feb/March'ish?) delayed from August last year.

Had the original letter offering the free AUTOMATIC upgrade, still waiting...

...in the last few weeks performance has been shocking, lucky to get even 5mbits in afternoon/evening.

As I can get Infinity 2, seriously considering switching, after 15 years with originally the NTL 512k service.
Phone them up first thing in the morning to get UK tech support and they will put you on 100mb where you should be.
Old 31-08-2015, 19:05   #144
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If VM would ever get their finger out and offer sensible upload speeds....on that metric alone BT have a very good headstart.
Not that far away from being that metric alone, too. By the end of the year Virgin simply won't sell anything as slow as the 76Mb that is the top speed for 99% of BT's areas.
Old 31-08-2015, 19:11   #145
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Perhaps more accurate is to say that it's FTTP because it's new build.

No business case in overbuild when you can upgrade your existing network to deliver gigabit speeds.
this is why developing countries are now getting better infrastructure as well as rural areas in the UK.

Romania is a lot of FTTP but that was because they built it fresh before that they had little infrastructure. So it seems the areas that are historically better such as urban areas are going to end up worse off. As you said due to business reasons although in the UK I think there is political reasons also.

As long as providers are able to extend the life of copper, they will do so.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 20:20   #146
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Once we do get Gigabit speeds, what will we moan about?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 21:29   #147
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Trolls? ...

Quote:
To be perfectly frank, no.

My experiences with VM customer service would make walking to hell and back seem like a nice stroll in the park, guess I was just unlucky who I got to speak with.

I think I have a ntl email address somewhere, can't remember the last time I even logged in to it.

As for writing a letter? Better things to do with my time - earning a living to pay the bills :-)

Community forum? Guessing there is something like this place but run by VM?

As I said with the dire performance (can get more than double what VM are delivering through my mobile phone), I don't see why it's on me when they promised and failed to deliver a service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
Quote:
Well. I've read lots of threads on here where people have upgraded and the performance has plummeted like a stone.

All I want is what I am paying for.

I did login to my online account and saw that I could "order" an upgrade, the wording kind of suggested it was a new 12 month contract, so out of the question.
VM have millions of customers. You wouldn't have time to do anything else if you had to read each customers feedback on services they have, broadband in this instance. There have been notable screws ups but the recent ones are not anywhere near as bad as they once were, the glorious SH1, the lack of capacity to handle the load around that time. I suggest you call VM as advised or stop moaning. forum link > http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/bd-p/Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Phone them up first thing in the morning to get UK tech support and they will put you on 100mb where you should be.
or go through thinking of leaving.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 15:09   #148
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Trials seem to be going well don't they? 309Mb achieved so far. Will be interesting to see if they ever achieve 330Mb in the real world though.
All reports point that way, I should imagine there's a couple of issues to be ironed out before we see 330 but that's only to be expected and is the purpose of the trial.

Huntingdon (only) is also supposed to be trialling a new variant of F.o.D. up to 1Gb as well but no start date announced as yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
the glorious SH1.
And to think I got banned from this forum for using SH1 as the mod "knew what I meant by it" (won't mention his name).

Are we allowed to call it the S****Y Hub now?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 15:52   #149
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Once we do get Gigabit speeds, what will we moan about?
Their variability. They are unlikely to be 1Gb 24x7x365.
Old 01-09-2015, 16:51   #150
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I have a 25GB game to download tonight, if I don't get a clear 152Mbit down for the ~30mins it'll take, I'm going to be ****ed.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote