Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 01-06-2015, 14:46   #586
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

I had the icon to and reserved my upgrade. I checked online first to see if it wasnt something fake poking its ugly head.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2015, 14:47   #587
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhook View Post
yes an app installs on qualifying machines you can reserve the upgrade and it will notify and download when available
An app that tells you when something is available to download? Doesn't sound much like a "reservation"...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 14:57   #588
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

So Window Preview insiders don't get the option to reserve their copy?
Old 01-06-2015, 15:22   #589
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Good question. The upgrade path from Win 7/8 to 10 is clear but less so from the Insider Preview to RTM. I upgraded from a retail activated copy of Win 8 to the Win 10 TP but now am a bit confused on if I have to go back to go forward
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 15:24   #590
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
Good question. The upgrade path from Win 7/8 to 10 is clear but less so from the Insider Preview to RTM. I upgraded from a retail activated copy of Win 8 to the Win 10 TP but now am a bit confused on if I have to go back to go forward
They have previously said that Windows 10 insiders can upgrade to RTM but i still don'y know about my Win 8.1 key.
Old 01-06-2015, 16:20   #591
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Ed Bott ‏@edbott · 2m2 minutes ago
If you're running Windows 10 Preview today, you will be updated to final release automatically. More upgrade details: http://www.zdnet.com/article/get-win...de-in-history/

Sanjay Machchhar

1 retweet 0 favorites
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 16:29   #592
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
An app that tells you when something is available to download? Doesn't sound much like a "reservation"...
well I am not going to argue it is just M$ terminology take it how you wish
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 16:34   #593
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
The MS guy tweeted me.

@GabeAul Now that Windows 7 and 8.1 users can reserve their copies of Win10 how do Win 10 insiders reserve theirs?

@Snoopzster No need, you were first in line the moment you installed your preview build.
Old 01-06-2015, 16:41   #594
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
you were first in line the moment you installed your preview build.
So there's a line now?

I guess that must be what you "reserve" a place in. But then again, having to queue to install Windows seems a bit... odd...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 17:10   #595
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
So there's a line now?

I guess that must be what you "reserve" a place in. But then again, having to queue to install Windows seems a bit... odd...
any particular reason for the arguing of semantics ?

from the link Dave42 posted

Quote:
On or before that date, Windows Insiders will get a Preview build that will become the Current Branch. Think of this as the replacement for what would previously have been a Release Candidate. They will automatically be upgraded the the release version when it is available.

Anyone running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 has the option to reserve their place in the Windows 10 upgrade queue, starting today. Those upgrades will begin rolling out in late July and early August, staggered to reduce the load.
so it is pretty clear RC will roll out to those on the insider preview build which in turn will be upgraded to the release version quite simple no need to argue whether there is a queue or not

Those who reserve will get the upgrade as it rolls out those who do not set it up when its available all seems pretty simple to understand. How M$ have worded it is irrelevant
Old 01-06-2015, 17:27   #596
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Not everyone keeps a constant eye on IT developments. It's just a mechanism to alert all relevant users that it is coming soon.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 17:38   #597
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

It would have been nice to have a choice to be able to least hide this annoying upgrade icon in my taskbar.
Old 01-06-2015, 17:47   #598
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Will us who have reserved the update get it before the launch date or will we all be battling for bandwith which will slow down the MS Servers on launch date?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 17:52   #599
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
It would have been nice to have a choice to be able to least hide this annoying upgrade icon in my taskbar.
have you checked start up options?
Old 01-06-2015, 18:27   #600
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Select 'Customise' from the up arrow, or right click on the task bar > properties > notification area, and then 'Hide Icon and Notifications'