Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Extending Wifi through the house

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Extending Wifi through the house

Old 27-04-2012, 09:03   #1
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Extending Wifi through the house

Hi all. In my house, I have my VM modem and router (Belkin N+) next to each other. Plugged into the router LAN ports are a media streamer, NAS box and a desktop PC. The PC runs off a 10m cable and sits in another room at the back of the house. All the kit I have gigabit ports and I'm very happy with transfer speeds.

The wifi at the back of my house is patchy at best and I would like to boost this. VM gave me a DIR-615 router that has been sitting in its box since being delivered. I have been thinking about getting a switch and putting this behind my PC and running both the PC and this second router as an access point from the switch. Now to keep my gigabit LAN speeds, I understand I need a gigabit switch. However, I am concerned that the DIR-615 is only 100MB. Will connecting this router drag the speed of the whole branch of the LAN down to 100MB speed or would the the main router switch speeds depending on whether it is talking to the PC or second router?

Sorry for the noob questions!
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2012, 10:51   #2
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough
Re: Extending Wifi through the house

Your main router will still be gigabit to any gigabit devices, unless those devices are attached to the DIR-615's internel switch, in which case the most you'd get is 100Mbit. If you get a small desktop gigabit switch to connect your PC and your DIR-615 to it (so your DIR-615 just acts as a WAP), then you'll still get gigabit to your main PC, NAS, etc still, you'd just be limiting any devices connected to your DIR-615 wirelessly to 100Mbit, which shouldn't be too much of an issue as even at 150Mbit wireless you'd be lucky to see 100.
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 11:04   #3
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavChap View Post
Your main router will still be gigabit to any gigabit devices, unless those devices are attached to the DIR-615's internel switch, in which case the most you'd get is 100Mbit. If you get a small desktop gigabit switch to connect your PC and your DIR-615 to it (so your DIR-615 just acts as a WAP), then you'll still get gigabit to your main PC, NAS, etc still, you'd just be limiting any devices connected to your DIR-615 wirelessly to 100Mbit, which shouldn't be too much of an issue as even at 150Mbit wireless you'd be lucky to see 100.
That is fantastic news! Time to go shopping for a cheap switch then. Many thanks for your help
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 11:22   #4
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

Just make sure you buy a switch and not a hub (not sure if anyone still makes hubs anyway!)
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote