Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Xbox help needed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Xbox help needed

Old 07-09-2010, 20:42   #16
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Xbox help needed

The only thing I can suggest Russ is the XBOX forum itself.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2010, 20:43   #17
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
The router is in a different room and I can't get to it. I want to be able to share media with my computer, that's why I want to hook it up to the computer.

I have a usb wireless antenna, should I just plug that in to the xbox to get online?
Is your computer connected to the router using a cable or a wireless connection?
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 20:45   #18
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Have you got the latest model of xbox? If you have you don't need to connect to your computer, only the router. You can still stream stuff from the computer too.
Read the thread....I can't!!!

Is there anyway to get that media update on to a usb stick? I did it with the xbox update but the optional media update seem like it will only download to the xbox.

I don't think it's the newest model - it's the 120gb Elite one.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 20:48   #19
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Russ, if your PC is connected to your router using a cable, just get a short RJ45 patch lead and an ethernet switch. Put the switch between the cable and your computer, and plug the Xbox into one of the other ports.
Old 07-09-2010, 20:49   #20
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

ok. I am going out on a limb here, but I suspect he doesn't have the slim, and hence no inbuilt wireless.

So think you either need to buy the official wireless connector, or do as my previous link.

Or, buy a PS3. I have both, can't say I prefer one to other.
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 20:50   #21
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

It's wireless.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 20:54   #22
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Jing lor (thai for "really!")

I have that model of xbox, and mine isn't wireless. I feel cheated. I have wireless controller, but can't connect wireless.
Old 07-09-2010, 20:56   #23
Lord Nikon
Inactive

you could try this?

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Jing lor (thai for "really!")

I have that model of xbox, and mine isn't wireless. I feel cheated. I have wireless controller, but can't connect wireless.
He meant his laptop connects to the router via wireless. Not that the xbox had wireless.
Old 07-09-2010, 20:56   #24
colin25
Inactive

lol I posted that link earlier.

But good link, if I don't say so myself
Old 07-09-2010, 21:00   #25
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

You can download updates from the XBL site and save them to a CD, and then update the XBOX

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

http://forums.xbox.com/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=17

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 21:35   #26
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Seems like my crappy old computer can't bridge the connections which is what I need to do. It keeps telling me I have to use 2 connections that aren't set up by internet connection sharing or something
Sorry I cant be more help Russ but the last time I needed to bridge connections on my ancient wireless pc, I opened the window that showed the current network devices and right clicked and clicked "bridge connections" and it worked.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 22:02   #27
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Russ, if the laptop is running Win 7 it should be pretty straightforward to bridge the ethernet and wireless.
Goto Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, select the two connections, right click and Bridge networks.
If that is throwing up an error, what is the error?
I used bridging on Vista with my 360 quite happily before I got a standalone wireless bridge.
You might also need to turn off the firewall.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 23:10   #28
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

This thread of any use?
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...2-2f29f4d74f6a

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote