Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking XP and Win 7 machines

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking XP and Win 7 machines

Old 06-03-2010, 11:26   #1
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute
Networking XP and Win 7 machines

Sorry if this has been posted before and I expect to be admonished for it but can anyone give me a step by step guide to networking an XP desktop and a Win 7 laptop?
I've never done anything like this before and I am having problems.
I have Zone Alarm and Avast Home on both computers.
I have named both my work groups MSHOME (because every time I try to change the XP group to WORKGROUP it keeps reverting to MSHOME every time I exit the network wizard.)
I have enabled file and printer sharing, I have chosen the folder on my XP pc that I want to access via my laptop.
My desktop is hard wired to my router, my lappie is wireless.
I have rebooted all my equipment but I still cannot get my pc's to 'see' each other. What am I doing/not doing? Any kind person who can help will earn my eternal gratitude (and maybe a little hero worship)
I've tried Googling it but it makes very little sense to poor old me.

YAY, DONE IT, FORGOT TO GO INTO EXPLORER AND ALLOW SHARING FOR THAT PARTICULAR HDD.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2010, 12:09   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Networking XP and Win 7 machines

See the power of this forum. You just have to *post* the problem and the answer arrives as if by magic..

Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:36   #3
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Heheheh... I have another question now, well, a couple actully!

1. I only have a basic Belkin G router which has been more than adequate for my modest needs, but would a better router provide faster file transfer speeds? I am currently transferring a 10gig file from my desktop to my lappie and its going to take about an hour. Would an N router thingy be any better? Or if I hard wired my lappie to my router instead of wireless?

2. Gawd I've forgotten what my other quest...oh yeah.....I can access files on my lappie from my desktop, but not the other way around, are there any settings I have to tweak on my win 7 machine?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:55   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

A Wireless N router would possibly increase the speed over Wireless but not effect Wired-Wired transfers
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 17:52   #5
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
A Wireless N router would possibly increase the speed over Wireless but not effect Wired-Wired transfers
Depends, the Dlink 635 has gigabit LAN and WAN ports... heh

Ok, I am assuming the folders are just shared? no passwords set on them?

on the 7 machine go to Network and Sharing Center (I usually go there through control panel, but you can also get there from the network adapter icon in the taskbar)
Click Change Advanced Sharing Settings
Turn Off Password Protected Sharing

but make sure your other network security is strong.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 17:55   #6
Graham M
-

Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars

Of course that depends on wether the connected PCs do or not
Old 06-03-2010, 18:54   #7
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
1. I only have a basic Belkin G router which has been more than adequate for my modest needs, but would a better router provide faster file transfer speeds? I am currently transferring a 10gig file from my desktop to my lappie and its going to take about an hour. Would an N router thingy be any better? Or if I hard wired my lappie to my router instead of wireless?

2. Gawd I've forgotten what my other quest...oh yeah.....I can access files on my lappie from my desktop, but not the other way around, are there any settings I have to tweak on my win 7 machine?
Item 1: Since you are mixing wired and wireless the bottleneck will be the wireless connection. N would certainly be faster but only if the router and laptop are *both* N-capable.

Item 2: Try making an account on each machine with the same username and password. In the advanced settings on the Win7 machine select 'use user accounts and passwords to connect to other machines'
That works on my mixed-OS network.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 19:35   #8
Graham M
-

Yep as long as the username and password are the same on both, that helps quash a lot of problems you'll otherwise experience
Old 11-03-2010, 20:00   #9
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Thanks guys, helpful as always. x