Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My xbox wont connect to my wireless network :( please help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

My xbox wont connect to my wireless network :( please help

Old 15-06-2009, 19:28   #1
bobman107
Inactive

bobman107 is an unknown quantity at this point
My xbox wont connect to my wireless network :( please help

ive recently bought a wireless adapter so i can play on xbox live in my bedroom, but it wont connect to the network. Its not the wireless adapter as ive tried several, and ive used the network before with an ethernet cable. On the xbox it finds my network name (ssid) but just refuses to connect. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Ive got a d-link router that is apaprently compatible with xbox live......
bobman107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2009, 19:32   #2
zing_deleted

Re: My xbox wont connect to my wireless network :( please help

try it with security off on the router first then post back then it could be a matter of changing broadcast channels and reintroducing security till it works. WiFi can be a fickle mistress
Old 15-06-2009, 19:38   #3
bobman107
Inactive

Ive got it on an open system and ive turned off all of the mac filters, so shouldnt it just connect?
Old 15-06-2009, 19:43   #4
zing_deleted

you would have thunk

best wait for some xboxers
Old 15-06-2009, 19:57   #5
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

What wireless security are you using? Xbox doean't like WPA2.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 19:57   #6
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman107 View Post
Ive got it on an open system and ive turned off all of the mac filters, so shouldnt it just connect?
Yes. What does it say/do?
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 20:11   #7
bobman107
Inactive

i dont have a WEP key and im not sure what WPA is, so i doubt im using that, i was originally just using mac filters to allow my laptops to connect. When i click test xbox live connection it fails instantly and comes up with a bunch of un-useful suggestions.
Old 15-06-2009, 20:51   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Is it an Apple router?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 21:00   #9
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman107 View Post
i dont have a WEP key and im not sure what WPA is, so i doubt im using that, i was originally just using mac filters to allow my laptops to connect. When i click test xbox live connection it fails instantly and comes up with a bunch of un-useful suggestions.
What does it say the problem is?
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 21:06   #10
bobman107
Inactive

no not an apple router, d-link DI-624+ and it works with other laptops on the same network which are all microsoft. It doesnt state the problem, it literally just says network failed. if it helps, when i find my network on the list of networks on my xbox, it says that it has no security.
Old 15-06-2009, 21:19   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

The xbox wireless adaptor doesn't do WPA2 unless there is another version of it, as mines a few years old.

[edit]

Void removed his post!
Old 16-06-2009, 20:04   #12
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Are you getting an ip address on the xbox starting 169? I had a very similar problem with the other halfs sisters xbox. I had to set the ip manually and it worked fine.