Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | G and N adaptors over an N router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

G and N adaptors over an N router

Old 12-05-2009, 21:56   #1
surfingmonk
Inactive

surfingmonk is an unknown quantity at this point
G and N adaptors over an N router

Hello!

I read that when you share G and N adaptors over an N router, the connection is actually slower than running a pure G environment... is this true?

I'm asking because in my house one of my flatmates has an older Macbook with a G airport, and we don't want to upgrade to an N router if he is going to mess up things for the rest of us (me and my other flatmate). Oh, and him upgrading his pitiful MAC is out of the question I'm afraid.

Thanks!!
Matt
surfingmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2009, 22:53   #2
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: G and N adaptors over an N router

sure its true, when your talking wireless to wireless connection, however theres a very easy way to solve the problem and give you far more coverage at the same time.

that being, turn off the DHCPd on the less powerful 11g router and plug that wired directly into the new 11n router.

then make sure any 11g device connects and uses the old 11g router, and any 11n devices only connects wirelessly to the 11n router.

set the routers on different channels at least 3 sections apart, and put at least one up high in the house the other lower and/or at the other side of the house , (one devices ariels in the horizontal, the others in the vertical position if your want Max coverage and cleaner non interfering signals, if your connecting devices can see the routers strongest signal in that ariel orientation) and your perfectly fine, and getting far more coverage to boot.....

VM-CM<>WAN-11n router-LAN-port1<>WAN-11g-router-Lan port1<>WAN-and even an old 11b router if you like

<> = wired ethernet straight through cable of required length
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 23:36   #3
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

It can drag the speeds of the N network down, although I'm not sure if it really drags them below the G Only speeds
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 23:48   #4
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Max speed you will get is 24Mbs if using a G adaptor with a N router well ht is if you have a connection faster than 24Mb
Old 13-05-2009, 11:14   #5
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
Max speed you will get is 24Mbs if using a G adaptor with a N router well ht is if you have a connection faster than 24Mb

Yes sorry I meant for the machines using N adaptors with G devices also connecting onto the network.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote