Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WEP, WPA or MAC Filtering - Which is best

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WEP, WPA or MAC Filtering - Which is best

Old 19-02-2009, 23:07   #1
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
WEP, WPA or MAC Filtering - Which is best

I currently have my Belkin router's security set to WPA. When trying to connect my Nintendo DS lite to the net I discovered that WPA security settings is not supported and I either have to switch it off or change to WEP or MAC Filtering.
I was under the impression that WPA is safer/better than WEP. Is this true? So why would Nintendo not support it. Ideally I dont want to go for MAC Filtering (it's a lot more rigid isnt it?) as it means other people wont be able to connect to my wireless when they bring their laptops round. Plus I dont want to go and get all the MAC addresses for 2 laptops and the numerous phones and hand held consoles we have at home.
Can someone show me the light as to what I should be doing.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-02-2009, 23:27   #2
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts
Re: WEP, WPA or MAC Filtering - Which is best

WEP is horribly broken, a few minutes and i can be on your ssytem and reading your data.
MAC filtering can easily be bypassed
WPA is the only secure way to go
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 23:29   #3
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66 View Post
WEP is horribly broken, a few minutes and i can be on your ssytem and reading your data.
MAC filtering can easily be bypassed
WPA is the only secure way to go
That's what I thought.... so how do I go about racing people on line on the DS at home? Do I have to change settings everytime I want to play?
Old 19-02-2009, 23:34   #4
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

perhaps run 2 wifi routers, set one to WEP and plug it in as needed.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 23:35   #5
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

WPA, With MAC filtering as well.
Old 19-02-2009, 23:35   #6
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

As above posters, WPA is the preferred option, as long as your network enabled devices can handle it.

Use a strong long key (password/passphrase), something around 20 characters should be sufficient, and consider a regular key change, weekly if you can handle it.

MAC filtering can help, but has to be part of the overall solution, not the only solution. I know its a pain listing all the wireless devices, but it can help by adding tht extra security layer, and should be considered.

Also make sure your access to the router configuration system is password protected, and regularly change that also.

Oh, and on the subject of router configuration, turn off upnp, I'll drop in the reason why another time, I don't seem to have my usual bookmarks to wireless security.

EDIT: Got this one real quick
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 23:38   #7
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
As above posters, WPA is the preferred option, as long as your network enabled devices can handle it.

Use a strong long key (password/passphrase), something around 20 characters should be sufficient, and consider a regular key change, weekly if you can handle it.

MAC filtering can help, but has to be part of the overall solution, not the only solution. I know its a pain listing all the wireless devices, but it can help by adding tht extra security layer, and should be considered.

Also make sure your access to the router configuration system is password protected, and regularly change that also.

Oh, and on the subject of router configuration, turn off upnp, I'll drop in the reason why another time, I don't seem to have my usual bookmarks to wireless security.
So can I use MAC filtering in conjuntion with WPA. Does that mean that if a console/laptop is on the MAC filter list, it can connect to the router even if it doesnt have the WPA password? And those not on the list will connect via WPA (if they have the password)
Old 19-02-2009, 23:43   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
That's what I thought.... so how do I go about racing people on line on the DS at home? Do I have to change settings everytime I want to play?

You could get the Nintendo WiFi dongle thing. It's basically a USB WiFi adaptor for your PC which uses a proprietary encryption method supported by the DS.

Instead of dropping the router's security down to the easily defeated WEP, so you can connect the DS to it, the DS wirelessly connects to the USB WiFi adaptor, which shares your PC's internet connection with the DS using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 23:44   #9
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
So can I use MAC filtering in conjuntion with WPA. Does that mean that if a console/laptop is on the MAC filter list, it can connect to the router even if it doesnt have the WPA password? And those not on the list will connect via WPA (if they have the password)
No, two layers of security

The connecting device must have its network MAC address added to the allowed list AND have the appropriate encryption protocol and passphrase.

Sorry, missed your point of the DS Lite, to be honest, if you care about security, don't downgrade your security protocol just for the DS lite, it honestly isn't worth it.
Old 19-02-2009, 23:45   #10
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
You could get the Nintendo WiFi dongle thing...
Ah... perhaps not.

Bit of hunting for it found the Wikipedia entry, which says that Nintendo have actually discontinued it, plus it was apparently a right pain to set up & was incompatible with some software firewalls such as ZoneAlarm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintend..._USB_Connector
Old 19-02-2009, 23:46   #11
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
You could get the Nintendo WiFi dongle thing. It's basically a USB WiFi adaptor for your PC which uses a proprietary encryption method supported by the DS.

Instead of dropping the router's security down to the easily defeated WEP, so you can connect the DS to it, the DS wirelessly connects to the USB WiFi adaptor, which shares your PC's internet connection with the DS using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).
Hmmmm, didn't think about that option.

I'll not be telling that to the missus.
Old 19-02-2009, 23:48   #12
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Quote:

Thanks Matt, I didnt think of that, mainly because I was hoping not to spend more money than I have to.

If my router had a USB slot in it could I plug the dongle into that? I am looking to upgrade my router anyway and was wondering if this would be possible. The reason I ask is that we dont have a desktop connected to the router, just use laptops in the house. Also I'm assuming the PC would have to be on?
Old 19-02-2009, 23:52   #13
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Thanks Matt, I didnt think of that, mainly because I was hoping not to spend more money than I have to.

If my router had a USB slot in it could I plug the dongle into that? I am looking to upgrade my router anyway and was wondering if this would be possible. The reason I ask is that we dont have a desktop connected to the router, just use laptops in the house. Also I'm assuming the PC would have to be on?
A 'cheap' set of homeplug adapters would do the trick as well (I'm assuming the DS has ethernet). One homeplug plugs into the router, the other into the DS

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=3&...vancy&limit=10
Old 20-02-2009, 02:15   #14
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Hmmmm, didn't think about that option.

I'll not be telling that to the missus.
Quote:

Unfortunately, as I posted in my update, it seems it's been discontinued.

I suppose you may be able to find one somewhere though.

You couldn't plug it into the router - it would have to connect to a PC (desktop or laptop), and the PC would have to be running to share its own connection with the DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
A 'cheap' set of homeplug adapters would do the trick as well (I'm assuming the DS has ethernet). One homeplug plugs into the router, the other into the DS

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=3&...vancy&limit=10

No ethernet on the DS - just WiFi with obsolete WEP (& the proprietary encryption for a dongle that has been discontinued).
Old 20-02-2009, 07:51   #15
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
WPA, With MAC filtering as well.
Ditto I use a combination of WPA/MAC Filtering as well.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote