Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does it matter which cable router I buy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Does it matter which cable router I buy

Old 11-09-2008, 10:57   #1
nafe12
Inactive

nafe12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does it matter which cable router I buy

Using virgin cable via a modem; want to go wireless.

Does it matter what cable wireless router I use?
E.g. I see that virgin uses the Netgear WGR614 - not sure of the differences between v3 and v6 (and most people selling don't know/arent aware)

Was just going to hit ebay and get something cheap. But thought I'd ask for recommendations, pitfalls, etc

Cheers!
nafe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2008, 11:00   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Does it matter which cable router I buy

Various people on here have their favourites because of the way you can configure or customise them, but basically any router will do (so long as it's not an all-in-one adsl modem/router, which won't work with your cable service).

The Linksys WRT54g always gets a good write-up on here.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:04   #3
nafe12
Inactive

seems to be a few WRT54G models, spose much-of-a-muchness?

I mean they all plug into the Virgin cable modem, etc?
Old 11-09-2008, 11:10   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Yes, they do. Take your pick and away you go. Just make sure your PC has an ethernet port and a wireless card. You'll need wired ethernet to do the initial set-up of the router, then you can go wireless after that.

The router will connect to the modem via an ethernet cable.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:35   #5
nafe12
Inactive

champion - thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 15:35   #6
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe12 View Post
seems to be a few WRT54G models, spose much-of-a-muchness?

I mean they all plug into the Virgin cable modem, etc?
Do some research into the memory they have incase you want to use a third party firmware like DD-WRT. The WRT54GL I have has 16MB, and I think thats the maximum they offer.

If you're not fussed, any WRT54G version will do.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 19:19   #7
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
Do some research into the memory they have incase you want to use a third party firmware like DD-WRT. The WRT54GL I have has 16MB, and I think thats the maximum they offer.

If you're not fussed, any WRT54G version will do.
It's worth the extra for the WRT54GL as the price isn't that much different and the 3rd party firmwares are pretty good
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 21:01   #8
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

Depends on what speed broadband you have, some routers Max out at 10meg between the WAN and the LAN ports.

There is a thread somewhere on here that had a list of routers that could cope with 20meg, some people may get a shock if they opt for 50meg.

I think all of the WRT54G range can cope with 20meg

JJ
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 21:12   #9
badhairday
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them

I will soon be a VM customer and was hoping to use my Belkin 7633 wireless Mod/rout with the 20meg service.
I am curious why a modem/router won't work with cable.
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 21:17   #10
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefrost View Post
Depends on what speed broadband you have, some routers Max out at 10meg between the WAN and the LAN ports.

There is a thread somewhere on here that had a list of routers that could cope with 20meg, some people may get a shock if they opt for 50meg.

I think all of the WRT54G range can cope with 20meg

JJ
The WRT54G range has a 100Mbps WAN port as far as I know so its good for up to 100Mbps.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 21:35   #11
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
The WRT54G range has a 100Mbps WAN port as far as I know so its good for up to 100Mbps.
So do a lot of routers but actually they cannot cope with the processing required for the higher speeds.

Perticullarly if they start doing stuff like QOS.

I think the WRT54G can easily route @ 30Mbit/s so when VM roll out 50Mbit they may or may not cope depending on the Firmware and what features are enabled.

I just turned off QOS on my WRT160N and actually found it made things faster, I think it wasn't playing nice with TCP Vegas which I understand is turned on by default on DD-WRT 24SP1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_Vegas
Old 11-09-2008, 22:10   #12
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhairday View Post
I will soon be a VM customer and was hoping to use my Belkin 7633 wireless Mod/rout with the 20meg service.
I am curious why a modem/router won't work with cable.

Because in general router/modem combos are for adsl via a telephone connection, not designed for cable.

Virgin Media will supply the modem you need during the installation - unfortunately you will need a new router, as your Belkin 7633 will not work.
Old 11-09-2008, 22:39   #13
badhairday
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks homealone
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 00:01   #14
dragon
Inactive

Becuase most ADSL routers treat the Inbuilt ADSL modem as the WAN (internet) interface and therefore will only do the required Network Address Translation that allows multiple machines to share a single IP address on the Modem port.

There are a few around that can be reconfigured to actually have one of their lan ports become the Wan ports, but these tend to be few and far between.

I think some speedtouches it can be done via the CLI (if someone REALLY wanted to)