Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can't set-up Router (WPN824 on NTL:250) HELP!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can't set-up Router (WPN824 on NTL:250) HELP!!!

Old 20-12-2007, 11:07   #16
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Can't set-up Router (WPN824 on NTL:250) HELP!!!

not got a lot of time right now but its starting to bug me

lets go back to basics.

are we sure you can temp remove the router and go back to generic
VM-CM-rj45<===>lan1-hazah-PC
powercycle and get a fully working web connection that can browse the web as expected.?

if so, that tells us that the MAC address of your PC LANcard is registered with VM and being given a webside IP....

right ,most people at this point say clone your PC MAC into the router, but i dont.

and i suspect that autoconfig in the router is trying to clone your PC anyway and messing up so thats why we need to confirm a generic CM to PC rj45 connection works.

right, so we are going to try and temp clone the routers MAC addres into the PCs netcard instead, re-confirm you can still browse as before on a generic CM to PC but with the new mac in the PCnetwork card.

the idea is , if it now works , then we know for sure the new MAC is registered with VM even though the routers not in the chain yet.

if that still works and tou web browse as expected , then all you do is reset the PC mac back to its default, plug the router back in to the chain and as you have just had the mac working , the router should be given the same working IP you just had.

the VM end doesnt know or care that the mac has gone from the PC back to the router , it SHOULD just work.

it all comes down to trying to make sure the router is using a pre registered MAC and so VM wil give you the working IP to go with it....

im hoping after that, you might no be forced back to the routers autoconfig page, as you now have a true working and registered MAC and IP.

messy i know, and you shouldnt really need to do this..., BUT its probably all down to getting the router MAC registered right one single time.

right , heres how you temp put the routers MAC into the PC

take your router and look underneath it for the MAC, something like
say A1:B2:C3:E4 take note of that MAC,
inside windows , open your 'network connections' find the lan card thats pluged directly into the cable modem, open its 'properties', click 'configure' ,'advanced' and 'network address', enter the new MAC No. as

A1B2C3E4 not A1:B2:C3:E4 or A1.B2,C3,E4 and your done

rememeber, this is with a generic
VM-CM<===>PC
and the router temp taken out of the chain and you have just cloned its MAC.

powercycle and check the webbrowsing is working as expected, it works ?,great the VM side has registered the new MAC.

now put the router back in the chain , and remove the PC 'network address' MAC by blanking the No. and it will be as before.

fingers crossed and after another powercyle you should have a router with working MAC and webside IP.

IF it still deverts you to the router page, im going to assume it may force you to run the autoconfig again but this time it should work (i hope....)

right got that , i got to run, laters.........

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

got tpo run really but

"Yesterday I also did the following :
1. Use a different, brand new laptop to connect to the same router and modem in my house (I know it shouldn't make a difference but I was desperate). - This didn't work, as expected.
2. Tried to set-up the router at a mate's, who is on VM as well but uses the motorola surfboard modem. The same problem occurs."

right that was my next thought, but 1 means its not your OS messing up so its point to the registered MAC as above.

2 just seems to confirm it for now unless the routers pooped, but it took a new firmware so i asy no for now....

do a cloning as above and report back, LATERS...............
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-12-2007, 11:53   #17
Hazah
Inactive

Hazah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the detailed instructions Popper. Really useful for someone like me who's not IT literate.

I will try to focus and do it tonight once I get back from a Christmas Do and report back here.

Fingers Crossed!
Hazah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 12:51   #18
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

you can tell it was bugging me

haha, now theres a strange thing, the PDF only says this
"
You can bypass the Smart Wizard Configuration Assistant feature by typing http://www.routerlogin.net/basicsetting.htm in the browser address bar and clicking Enter.

You will not be prompted for a user name or password.

This will enable you to manually configure the wireless router even when it is in the factory default state. When manually configuring the router, you must complete the configuration by clicking Apply when finished entering your settings.

If you do not do so, a browser on any PC connected to the router will automatically display the router's Configuration Assistant Welcome page rather than the browser’s home page. "

BUT,if you go here
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101472.asp
it says
"
Completely Avoiding the SmartWizard
Most router owners prefer the SmartWizard. Not to mention, it's continually being improved to be more useful for special sitautions.
However, there are cases you want to bypass it:
  • When it puts you in a loop where you can't reach Basic Settings.
  • If you are an advanced user who needs custom settings.
  • Your network is not connected to the Internet.
To Avoid the SmartWizard
  1. Unplug the router power cord.
  2. Turn off the computer.
  3. Plug in the router to power.
  4. Attach the computer to one of the router's LAN ports.
  5. Turn on the computer, but do not open a browser.
  6. Go to Start > Run, and type http://www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm. The browser opens and goes straight the the router's Basic Configuration page. (If the Basic Configuration page does not appear, repeat instructions from Step 1.)
  7. Important: Click Apply, even if you don't make changes. Otherwise:
    • The wireless features are not enabled.
    • The settings are not saved.
"

it struck me that if I put the http://www.routerlogin.net/basicsetting.htm in my url it took me to the website but if you have the router on your LAN than it must intercept the URL and it now seems like they might have put this DONT OPEN A BROWSER patch in the firmware rom, because people were having all sorts of problems, enter Hazarh and the readers DOH.....

perhaps a web search is in order if you/we cant sort it with this info

it still needs trying to see if it does infact work in a different way and gets you up, but at least you might get somewere now, do the clone first though incase it doesnt try and divert.....

and its better to be sure the router MAC has been registered on the VM kit than guess it worked.

i also forgot to mention, just because you can ping a www address and get a response, doesnt mean its got a real working webside IP, as ping is using the DNS service that works even when your modems not even got a valid web IP but mearly a temp internal 10.* VM IP and the VM DNS IPs filled in.
Old 21-12-2007, 18:05   #19
popper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazah View Post
Thanks for the detailed instructions Popper. Really useful for someone like me who's not IT literate.

I will try to focus and do it tonight once I get back from a Christmas Do and report back here.

Fingers Crossed!
to much partying i take it to reply
Old 27-12-2007, 11:05   #20
Hazah
Inactive

Hazah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Popper,

Sorry for the late reply. I tried both ways. ie. I have changed the PC's MAC address to the router's MAC address. The internet is fine, which means that VM have registered the router MAC without a problem. When I run the autoconfig though, the same problem happens.

I have also followed the instruction to completely avoid the Netgear setting page. This didn't work either and the same problem occurs. This is really strange as the router is not connected to the modem and therefore the modem or VM cannot reject i, right?

I think my router is faulty and I have decided to cut my losses and return it, and am now awaiting a replacement.

I will let everyone know if I am able to configure the new router.

Thanks for all your help everyone! Especially Pooper who's been really helpful.

This is an excellent forum.

Best Regards,

Hazah
Hazah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:33   #21
henry-root
Inactive

Services: Talktalk
henry-root is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Can't set-up Router (WPN824 on NTL:250) HELP!!!

H'm interesting stuff as I am about to try to do precisely this 6 pm tonight!!! As this was originally posted some time ago, can I have a quick response as to whether it was fixed and how muchas please?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
henry-root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:31   #22
SydneyHopper
Inactive

SydneyHopper is a jewel in the roughSydneyHopper is a jewel in the roughSydneyHopper is a jewel in the roughSydneyHopper is a jewel in the roughSydneyHopper is a jewel in the rough

Popper

I hope when I have a problem <touch wood> you are on hand as that was an exemplary show of patience and thoughtfulness

Well done that man
SydneyHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 22:22   #23
henry-root
Inactive

Services: Talktalk
henry-root is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Can't set-up Router (WPN824 on NTL:250) HELP!!!

Well hi again folks

Took all of 15 minutes to set up exactly this router and cable modem in Leeds so I guess this thread originated from faulty hardware as (far too) much time was spent on settings.

Netgear products are a cinch to work with.

Thanks to Popper who offered to help but none needed this time ta.
henry-root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 22:53   #24
popper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyHopper View Post
Popper

I hope when I have a problem <touch wood> you are on hand as that was an exemplary show of patience and thoughtfulness

Well done that man
glad to help when the subject interests me, its amazing how many people take the advice given and cant even be bothered to click the rep icon on the left and add a word or two and let people know it helped, or even post back to the thread and say its fixed and what steps they did.