Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Beginner advice needed for VM wireless router setup....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Beginner advice needed for VM wireless router setup....

Old 13-03-2008, 21:59   #1
badger1977
Inactive

badger1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Beginner advice needed for VM wireless router setup....

I've done some searching round on Google, but I'm still unsure about how I proceed.

I currently have a 2mg VM Cable broadband connection setup on 1 desktop PC that works fine. I want to purchase a laptop and have a wireless connection on that.

So, my broad question is; what the heck do I need to do?!

I understand I need to purchase a Wireless router that will be cable compatible, and I think the "Netgear RangeMax WPN824 MIMO-G Wireless Router" would be suitable.

So, assumaing that I purchase that router (or a similar piece of hardware) what are the next steps in terms of what hardware connects to what?

I have a VM supplied cable modem that connects to the cable box outside the house and is also connected to my desktop PC via ethernet cable.... so how should that be connected to the wireless router?

Other questions:
1) Will I be able to use the net connection on desktop PC and laptop simultaneously?
2) Will I need to contact VM to assist with any of this setup or for them to enable anything?

Advice greatly appreciated, as I am a beginner on this stuff.
Thanks.
badger1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2008, 23:53   #2
deek72
cf.member

deek72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Beginner advice needed for VM wireless router setup....

I have that same router and can recommend it. All you have to do is follow the instructions in the box. It's dead easy. Leave cable from outside in the modem. Unplug PC end of ethernet cable from PC and plug into the router, install software that comes with router, switch it all on and run the software which should find and connect to the router. You may (actually I think you WILL) have to connect the router to the laptop with another ethernet cable first time, but then it should be welcome to wireless!
Like I said though, just follow the instructions and you should have no problems. I had no experience with wireless and it was a breeze.
Hope this helps.
Derek.

PS. 1. YES you will be able to connect pc and lappy at the same time as long has they both have wireless cards, obviously.
2. No, you won't need Virgin to enable anything.
deek72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 00:03   #3
bargepole
cf.member

Services: Virgin 150meg, VM phone, Virgin TV XL , V+, Tivo, Virgin mobile
bargepole is an unknown quantity at this point

Load software CD supplied with router, it should guide you through the set-up, but basically you will take cable from back of PC (the one that goes to the modem), & plug it into wireless router. Run cable supplied with router from the router to the back of the PC, you will need to set-up wireless adapter in the laptop.

1. yes you will be able to use both simultanesously
2. VM won't assist with 3rd party products, they don't need to do anything.
bargepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 00:18   #4
deek72
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargepole View Post
Load software CD supplied with router, it should guide you through the set-up, but basically you will take cable from back of PC (the one that goes to the modem), & plug it into wireless router. Run cable supplied with router from the router to the back of the PC, you will need to set-up wireless adapter in the laptop.

1. yes you will be able to use both simultanesously
2. VM won't assist with 3rd party products, they don't need to do anything.
Can anyone hear an echo in here? lol

Ok I admit yours was a little more condensed than mine!
Old 14-03-2008, 09:02   #5
badger1977
Inactive

Thanks for the advice. Makes sense apart from one thing.

The one thing is the desktop PC connection and whether that can remain "wired" rather than wireless..... I'm a bit confused about that one.

I assume that if the desktop is connected to the Wireless router via ethernet cable then the dektop PC will effectively be using a wired connection. Is that right?

Also, my desktop PC and cable modem are upstairs in the house, so the wireless router will likely be upstairs too. The laptop will be used mostly downstairs..... I assume that the signal/connection quality should be fine in this scenario? Or would I be better trying to situate the wireless router downstairs with a longer ethernet cable running upstairs to the cable modem.

Thanks again.
Old 14-03-2008, 10:35   #6
deek72
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger1977 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Makes sense apart from one thing.The one thing is the desktop PC connection and whether that can remain "wired" rather than wireless..... I'm a bit confused about that one.I assume that if the desktop is connected to the Wireless router via ethernet cable then the dektop PC will effectively be using a wired connection. Is that right?
yes, it will be wired but only in order to transmit the settings from pc to router and vice versa (i.e. to get them to be able to 'see' each other). once they are connected you can do away with the ethernet cable from router to pc.

There is not point in having a wireless router connected by cables, it's not wireless then is it? Once you get it set up upstairs, you should be able to turn on your laptop downstairs, search for available wireless connections and it should find your router upstairs. To connect to it you will have to enter the key and/or password you set when you set up the router and that should be it. (you can set it up without a password if you like but then it would be open for anyone nearby to connect to, i.e. 'a hotspot').
Old 14-03-2008, 12:19   #7
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by deek72 View Post
yes, it will be wired but only in order to transmit the settings from pc to router and vice versa (i.e. to get them to be able to 'see' each other). once they are connected you can do away with the ethernet cable from router to pc.

There is not point in having a wireless router connected by cables, it's not wireless then is it? Once you get it set up upstairs, you should be able to turn on your laptop downstairs, search for available wireless connections and it should find your router upstairs. To connect to it you will have to enter the key and/or password you set when you set up the router and that should be it. (you can set it up without a password if you like but then it would be open for anyone nearby to connect to, i.e. 'a hotspot').
But then to flip that around:

Why not keep the desktop as wired? No need to have the desktop on wireless as it's not portable.
It's obviously close to the modem already, and keeping it wired will be a lot simpler, and cheaper as you'd have to buy a wireless adapter for your desktop.
Also would be faster (all wireless has an overhead) and less prone to problems.
This is why wireless routers also come with 4 wired ports on the back.

To get your desktop connected to the router:
Switch everything, including the modem, off
Take the ethernet cable out the back of your PC.
Plug it into the WAN port on the router.
Then you'll need an ethernet cable from one of the out ports on the router to your PC.
Switch on the modem
then the router
then your desktop
and it should work as before.

Then setup & configure the wireless (how you do this deepens on the router)
The setup the laptop to connect to the wireless.

Just use the wireless for the laptop, and keep the desktop wired.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 16:45   #8
deek72
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
But then to flip that around:

Why not keep the desktop as wired? No need to have the desktop on wireless as it's not portable.
It's obviously close to the modem already, and keeping it wired will be a lot simpler, and cheaper as you'd have to buy a wireless adapter for your desktop.
Good thinking, Batman! (Mumbles to himself - Wish I'd have thought of that.............
Old 14-03-2008, 17:10   #9
badger1977
Inactive

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.