Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | LINKSYS Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

LINKSYS Router

Old 17-10-2007, 22:02   #1
Clarkvcr
Inactive

Clarkvcr is on a distinguished roadClarkvcr is on a distinguished road
LINKSYS Router

I have a main computer connected via ethernet cable to a linksys Wireless-G router, my daughter has a wireless connection. I had the power off today for 15 minutes to change some sockets and since then my daughter has had no internet connection. Main computer is fine, has internet , all lights correct on the router, daughters computer says everthing installed ok but cannot get wireless connection. I think it's at the router end of things but not sure. Power's been off before with no problems.
Anyone any thoughts.

Cheers.
Clarkvcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2007, 22:34   #2
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one
Re: LINKSYS Router

Might be a red herring but have you tried the router in a different socket, you might have a dodgy connection causing some noise on the mains and therefore restricting signal.

Alternatively, have you checked the wireless config incase anything has been lost during the power down?
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 23:19   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I take it you have rebooted everything and switched on everything one by one.
First modem (wait for lights to settle), then router, then computers.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 00:02   #4
Clarkvcr
Inactive

The computers were not switched on although the router was pluged in. Have all been off before and switched back on at same time with no probs. As I said, main computer coming through router ethernet ok but nno wireless signal. My daughters computer knows what it's looking for, correct network name etc, but cant find it, that's why I think it's the router signal. Would the power being off cause the wireless signal side of it to fail while cable connection is ok? If I can find the box I may reinstall the whole thing again.
While I'm on, how much would an ethernet cable be to run from main computer to daughters, fairly easy run and it would do away with the need for wireless. 8m run.
Old 18-10-2007, 00:04   #5
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Ethernet cable is very cheap.
I get mine from here:

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...ex&cPath=23_31

There's a 10 metre cable for £2.99
Ideally you'd want to go from the computer into the router.
You'l need a crossover cable if it is to go from computer to computer.

Old 18-10-2007, 07:29   #6
Clarkvcr
Inactive

I'll be going from the back of the router to my daughters computer, it's a 4 way router. Think I'll try that as the wireless signal is still not present. Will my daughters work right away with the cable or is there any set up process? Disable the network card maybe.

Cheers
Old 18-10-2007, 10:38   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Make sure the network (ethernet) card on the connected PC(s) are enabled, plug in the ehternet between router and PC(s), reboot PC(s) and it should detect the network. Even if there is a wireless card also active, the wired network should enable first. You can turn the wireless off though on the PC(s) to minimise confusion.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 11:13   #8
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

did you have wireless security enabled? it is possible that with the router being turned off it has reset these details and the wireless is no longer picking it up
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 11:50   #9
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
You'l need a crossover cable if it is to go from computer to computer.
Or a standard cable and a crossover adaptor
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 13:59   #10
Clarkvcr
Inactive

Sorted..... it seems my daughters computer wireless card decided to disconnect when the power was off...never done that before. Although it said it was searching it wasn't connected. Anyway, keep in mind for future. Always something simple!
Thanks to all who replied.
Cheers.
Old 18-10-2007, 23:35   #11
Halcyon
Hello !

Glad you got it all sorted in the end