Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hi All Newbie Network Help Needed.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hi All Newbie Network Help Needed.

Old 14-10-2007, 15:18   #1
Del Boy
Inactive

Services: NTL/Virgin Broadband Cable with a Linksys WRT54G Router
Del Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Hi All Newbie Network Help Needed.

Hi all, I have a quite fast computer that was built for me and it is running Windows XP Prof, I also have another in the kitchen with same operating system. These are linked via a Linksys WRT54G Router (Wireless) not hard wired.
The system has been working fine since installation and still does, but the problem is, I have purchased a nice new Lap Top. A Compaq Presario F600. AMD64 AthlonX2, With Broadcom Wireless and running Windows Vista Home Premium. Although it picks up my wireless net work it keeps rejecting it when i try to connect. I have taken it back to the shop and it links instantly to their network. so it may be at my end. As i am not up tampering with this type of thing some suggestions would be very welcome to try and get the lap top linked into my system. Thanks in advance for any help received.
Del Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2007, 15:23   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Hi All Newbie Network Help Needed.

to Cable Forum

I wonder if the wireless security settings are being detected correctly? Rather than any auto settings, try specifying the WEP / WPA or whatever you are using on the router.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 15:53   #3
Del Boy
Inactive

Services: NTL/Virgin Broadband Cable with a Linksys WRT54G Router
Del Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't want to seem a "Dumbo" but I have not a clue how to go about that as the system was set up by the guy that built it. (He has now gone to Canada) and I am not that computer literate with internal settings or how to get to them. But I am grateful and willing to learn.
Del Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 16:57   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Mac address filtering set on the router pehaps
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 17:01   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

From one of your connected PCs in internet explorer browse to the admin pages of your router, usually http://192.168.1.1 You may be asked for a user name, often "admin", and a password, hopefully you know it

If you look at the wireless options, you should be able to see the security type that has been set from a pull down list - WEP, WPA etc. You should also see the settings for a password. If security hasn't been set you do want this to stop others leeching from your broadband, but be careful that you don't disconnect your current wireless PCs.

Now on your laptop, right click the wireless network icon on the bottom right of the page. The pop up menu should allow you to set connection options, including security type and password to match the router's settings.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 17:04   #6
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
From one of your connected PCs in internet explorer browse to the admin pages of your router, usually http://192.168.1.1 You may be asked for a user name, often "admin", and a password, hopefully you know it

If you look at the wireless options, you should be able to see the security type that has been set from a pull down list - WEP, WPA etc. You should also see the settings for a password. If security hasn't been set you do want this to stop others leeching from your broadband, but be careful that you don't disconnect your current wireless PCs.

Now on your laptop, right click the wireless network icon on the bottom right of the page. The pop up menu should allow you to set connection options, including security type and password to match the router's settings.
If you do happen to change a setting and find you knock your other pcs off the wireless then its possible to use a Wired connection to get back into the router.

Since you have a laptop easiest way is probably to use a bit of Cat5 cable between the router and laptop that should give you a connection to login to the router and change the settings and also give the laptop internet access if you need to come back and ask for help.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote