Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need help quick with network- internet!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need help quick with network- internet!

Old 06-10-2007, 12:36   #1
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia
Need help quick with network- internet!

I'm at my friend's house, and her network is unsecured, i am connected to the network (belkin router) and my signal strength is excellent but i can't get any webpages up, but she can on her laptop.

Why is this and how do i fix it? I'm sure it's simple but i don't know how to do it!

Urgent replies appreciated
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2007, 12:56   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Need help quick with network- internet!

Could be a firewall blocking you or not getting an IP from the router.

Open a 'dos' window with Start/Run/cmd

try 'ping bbc.co.uk' without quotes. If you don't get any result type 'ipconfig' and report back what that shows.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 13:05   #3
Pia
Inactive

Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars

tried the ping to bbc, no results

did ipconfig and it shows the IP address 192.168.0.137
the subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
and default gateway: 192.168.0.1

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

so could it be the firewall in the router blocking me? if so how do i get around that? the main pc with the modem plugged in has zonealarm but that won't have anything to do with this will it??
Old 06-10-2007, 13:17   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I doubt it's the firewall on the router, possibly a firewall on your own computer though.

More likely however it's something in your own computers IP setup, or the browser setup.

Can you browse to the router's configuration pages - http://192.168.0.1 ?

Have a look in your browser (Internet explorer) connections options and see it's al set to do everything auto, with no proxy specified.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 13:19   #5
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

Hmmm. The router certainly seems to have handed you an IP address.
Is your friend's PC in the same 192.168.0.? group?
Can you 'talk' to the router and get into the control panel? Your friend should know the address for that. If not it's possibly worth trying
http://192.168.0.1

I'm inclined to think that if the router is allowing you to connect and get an IP then you're not MAC blocked. The next likely thing is a firewall on your pc blocking traffic.
Old 06-10-2007, 13:30   #6
Pia
Inactive

It won't load anything on my lappy when it try that 192.168.0.1 address

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

now my lappy keeps coming up with a box for a dial up connection :S

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

turned windows firewall off on my pc, still no difference
Old 06-10-2007, 13:33   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Turn off any firewall you have running on your own laptop. Windows control panel > security settings if it's the windows one.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Check in your internet explorer > tools > options > connection settings.

Make sure that never dial a connection is ticked.

In LAN settings, make sure that auto detect settings is ticked, and no proxy is set.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 13:39   #8
Pia
Inactive

thanks rob, changed the settings and it's gone

still no internet though
Old 06-10-2007, 13:46   #9
Dai
Inactive

Getting towards the bottom of the barrel now..

If you are connecting wirelessly try temporarily disabling the wired NIC.

right-click 'my network places' select properties
find wired nic entry, right-click and select disable.

reboot pc.
Old 12-10-2007, 17:51   #10
Pia
Inactive

Hi everyone, put this off for a bit but i'm going back to see my friend soon, and i tried everything mentioned here but to no avail.

I can't understand why it is letting me connect to the router network itself but not getting any internet through it??
Old 12-10-2007, 21:52   #11
Dai
Inactive

Is your friend's PC still able to connect to the 'net?

If so, do an IPCONFIG on her machine. I'd like to make sure you're getting addresses in the same IP group and using the same default gateway.

This is very strange. Have you tried doing an orderly restart. Power everything off. Power on cable modem, wait for lights to stabilise. Power on wireless router, wait ditto, then finally the PCs.
Old 13-10-2007, 02:51   #12
Pia
Inactive

Ooops sorry i didn't go in the end was busy and forgot about this.

Yeah she gets internet on her laptop and desktop. I've tried a proper restart, i'll try the other thing tomorrow.

Thanks