Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless WDS link protocol

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless WDS link protocol

Old 22-06-2007, 22:16   #1
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
Wireless WDS link protocol

Does anyone know what form of encryption if any (!) goes to form a wireless WDS link (ie bridging wireless access points together).

I'm baffled at this one as I'm not sure as to how secure it is
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2007, 22:37   #2
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy
Re: Wireless WDS link protocol

A bridge isnt an access point, my understanding is that they just forward packets from one port on to another
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 22:44   #3
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
A bridge isnt an access point, my understanding is that they just forward packets from one port on to another
Yes exactly ... but don't confuse this bridge with an ethernet bridge...

A WDS bridge is in itself a wireless connection separate to Access Point functions.

What I have done is bridged two access points together with WDS and turned off wireless access point capabilities on both APs so that all I have left is the wireless bridge.

SOOOOOOOO how is this wireless bridge encrypted if it is at all ?

Old 22-06-2007, 22:57   #4
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

My point is that once your on the network your on it and no further encryption is required. As your WDS is not providing any client association services then surely you dont need any further access protection then WEP or WPA
Old 22-06-2007, 23:03   #5
The Jackal
Inactive

Quote:
then surely you dont need any further access protection then WEP or WPA
Are you sure ?

LAN A ---- ACCESS POINT1/no wifi ----- WDS wireless link ---- ACCESS POINT2/no wifi ---- LAN B

So whats to stop someone hacking between Access point 1 and 2 ?
Old 22-06-2007, 23:11   #6
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Im confused, you have two LANs, both with wifi? With WEP or WPA?

Two access points which are disable on the WDS. But a wireless link between the two disabled access points?

If thats the case whats the difference (in principle) between the wireless link between the two access points and a wireless link between a laptop and a router?
Old 22-06-2007, 23:22   #7
The Jackal
Inactive

Quote:
Im confused, you have two LANs, both with wifi? With WEP or WPA?
Not quite - I'm connected 2 wired networks via a single wireless link and want to try to do this as securely as possible.

Quote:
If thats the case whats the difference (in principle) between the wireless link between the two access points and a wireless link between a laptop and a router?
A lot !

WDS is invisible it just connects the routers - no wireless device can connect to either of the access points nor know of their existence(maybe ? - I will have to test this out with stumbler).

With my l33t hax0r experience my query is that it must be possible to trick the identity of access point A or B and jump in - hence the reason as to my lack of understanding as to what protocol that WDS link uses.
Old 22-06-2007, 23:25   #8
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

I guess it depends how the access points are turned off. If they are not providing a client association service or the access points are just not active at all.
Old 22-06-2007, 23:58   #9
The Jackal
Inactive

Quote:
I guess it depends how the access points are turned off. If they are not providing a client association service or the access points are just not active at all.
Completely turned off via DD-WRT

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Here's the link : http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...Point_Function

---------- Post added at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

Come on mate don't bail on me now :/

Reps for your effort

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:44 ----------

Looks like I'm fearing this :

--- snip
I was considering getting an AirPort Basestation Extreme and Express together to extend the wireless network. But then I came across this note in the review:

One note: when using the AirPort Express as a WDS, you are limited to either using 128-bit WEP or turning off security altogether. This was not mentioned on the AirPort Express pages on apple.com, although it is addressed in the manual. WPA is generally not supported over bridged connections on WiFi products due to the fact that WPA encrypts the MAC addresses which WDS relies on for communication. Keep this limitation in mind when using the Express as a bridge.
Old 23-06-2007, 09:50   #10
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrC-3rr0r View Post
Does anyone know what form of encryption if any (!) goes to form a wireless WDS link (ie bridging wireless access points together).

I'm baffled at this one as I'm not sure as to how secure it is
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireles...ibution_System
Quote:
Dynamically assigned and rotated encryption keys are usually not supported in a WDS connection. This means that dynamic Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and other dynamic key assignment technology in most cases can not be used, though WPA using pre-shared keys is possible. This is due to the lack of regulation in this field, which will hopefully be resolved with the upcoming 802.11s standard. As a result only static WEP or WPA keys may be used in a WDS connection, including any STAs that associate to a WDS repeating AP.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 12:04   #11
The Jackal
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW View Post
I've read that *several* times :/ and really the article is vague over the subject :

Points too

Quote:
Dynamically assigned and rotated encryption keys are usually not supported in a WDS connection.
and

Quote:
Most third party firmwares for the WRT54G(S)/GL support AES encryption using WPA2-PSK Mixed Mode security, and TKIP encryption using WPA-PSK, while operating in WDS mode. However, this mode may not be compatible with other units running stock or alternate firmwares.
Old 23-06-2007, 13:31   #12
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

The way I read it was that there was no standard way for them to talk using WDS to negotiate dynamic keys, that is until 802.11s arrives. I think the usually comment refers to variations in different manufacturers proprietary implementations.

So to answer your original question, it's as secure as the kit lets you make it but as a minimum you can use encryption with static keys if there is no custom extensions. I wasn't aware there was any 3rd party firmware for the WRT54G, but personally I'd rather stick with standard firmware and a static (but complex) key as WPA-PSK with TKIP is pretty secure. That Airport comment is a bit of a problem though.
Old 23-06-2007, 16:37   #13
The Jackal
Inactive

Thanks Geoff that is exactly how I read it.

I think I am going to sack the idea of the WDS altogether and do a client bridge with WPA2 (might even do enterprise) and get a cron job running on one of the routers to update each others keys every 24 hours, does that sound secure or what ?
Old 23-06-2007, 17:31   #14
GeoffW
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrC-3rr0r View Post
does that sound secure or what ?
That sounds like a man with way too much time on his hands
Old 23-06-2007, 17:37   #15
The Jackal
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW View Post
That sounds like a man with way too much time on his hands
Should be easy.

DD-WRT is essentially a linux distro for Linksys wireless routers.

So all I need to do is create a simple script to

* Create new key
* ssh-rsync the key to the routers
* rexec reboot

Job done - or simpler still

* Create new key and dump it to the network share that both routers read the key from.
* rexec reboot

- I'm not wasting any more time on this - spent 6 hours on Friday when I could have been doing something better.