Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | what to buy ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

what to buy ?

Old 04-10-2006, 18:50   #1
blaupunkt
Inactive

blaupunkt is an unknown quantity at this point
what to buy ?

i there, im hoping someone can point me in the right direction on what to buy, i currently have the cable modem plugged directly into my PC but we have just got a laptop and i want to share the connection..

i was hoping that i can have a router that will enable me to plug my PC directly into it and also have the laptop on a wireless connection do any do this ? ive been looking at netgear ones online but none of them seem to say.

the router must also have a built in firewall

any help would be great!
blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2006, 18:55   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: what to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaupunkt View Post
i there, im hoping someone can point me in the right direction on what to buy, i currently have the cable modem plugged directly into my PC but we have just got a laptop and i want to share the connection..

i was hoping that i can have a router that will enable me to plug my PC directly into it and also have the laptop on a wireless connection do any do this ? ive been looking at netgear ones online but none of them seem to say.

the router must also have a built in firewall

any help would be great!
I recommend the Linksys WRT54GS. This router is very popular with people on Cable Forum and also has a built in firewall. You would also need something like a Linksys WPC54GSUK Wireless-G PCMCIA Card with SpeedBooster to enable you to connect your laptop wireless to your router unless you chose a wired connection.
Old 04-10-2006, 19:04   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

To clarify, SnoopZ's response, most wireless routers have some wired ports as well as the wireless option. You can use both simultaneously. The only thing you do have to get right in the router's configuration is the networking mode (ad-hoc I think it is) to allow you to share files between wired and wireless.

I do exactly what you want with the Linksys WRT54GS.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 22:20   #4
blaupunkt
Inactive

ok thanks i'll check it out!
Old 04-10-2006, 22:29   #5
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I recommend the You would also need something like a Linksys WPC54GSUK Wireless-G PCMCIA Card with SpeedBooster to enable you to connect your laptop wireless to your router unless you chose a wired connection.
Chances are though, that your laptop already comes with built-in wifi. If this is the case you won't need the PCMCIA card.
Old 07-10-2006, 13:43   #6
blaupunkt
Inactive

hi, yes it does say something about that...

Integrated wireless 802.11 b/g LAN - this will be good enough i assume ?
Old 07-10-2006, 14:00   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaupunkt View Post
hi, yes it does say something about that...

Integrated wireless 802.11 b/g LAN - this will be good enough i assume ?
Yes it should be fine.
Old 07-10-2006, 17:56   #8
blaupunkt
Inactive

ok thank!

i ordered the router that you recomended also!

sounds easy to setup, needs to be also, networking isnt exactly my strongest skill!