Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Buffalo wireless router problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Buffalo wireless router problem

Old 02-09-2006, 09:23   #1
Saul's Grandad
Lurkalot

Services: Virgin TV, Phone, mobile & BB. Netflix and Amazon.
Saul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really nice
Buffalo wireless router problem

I'm hoping someone here can offer advice...

I recently got a Buffalo WYR-G54 wireless router to replace a Belkin one, which inexplicably stopped working wirelessly.

I wired up the Buffalo to my NTL modem (the small blue one) and attempted to get it working by following the quick start instructions (via my desktop using a wired connection). However, when it came to the "setting up an internet connection" bit, it failed to find the remote server. I had opted for the automatic IP and DCHP selections, which the instructions suggested were used by most cable providers.

I then reset the router to the factory defaults to try setting it up again. I noticed that when I started my browser, it loaded up the homepage with no problem. I checked that this was not just a cached page by going on to a couple of other sites. So I then tried to log on using my laptop, via a Belkin PC Card adapter, which (after a couple of failed attempts) I eventually did. This was all in the same room as the router. Time for bed I thought...

However, yesterday when I tried to access the internet from downstairs on the laptop the connection I got was so slow as to be unusable, even though it was showing as connected with very good to excellent signal strength and between 54 and 33 (whatever the units are - Mbps or Kbps?) speed. It did work when I moved back upstairs to the room where the desktop and router live but it was still very slow and there was little point in connecting wirelessly then

Do any other NTL/Buffalo users have any advice as to what settings may need tweaking to get my wireless connection back to normal speeds? Please keep it simple as I'm not too techy
It occurs to me that there may have been a problem at NTL's end, which is not unknown but fairly rare - does anyone know if there were any broadband probs affecting the Immingham area yesterday?
Saul's Grandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2006, 09:28   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Buffalo wireless router problem

You have powered off the ntl modem when swapping the router's over?

As for wireless failing, have you added anything in your house that could cause interference. Different TV, lightbulbs, etc?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:43   #3
Saul's Grandad
Lurkalot

Saul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really niceSaul's Grandad is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C View Post
You have powered off the ntl modem when swapping the router's over?

As for wireless failing, have you added anything in your house that could cause interference. Different TV, lightbulbs, etc?
Yes, I powered off the modem when I swapped them. There is nothing in the house different to when the Belkin router was working properly about two weeks ago.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:57   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

I have that model router & it works without problems, although I don't have an upstairs to try it out...

Have you got security set up? What channel are you operating on?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:35   #5
Saul's Grandad
Lurkalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
I have that model router & it works without problems, although I don't have an upstairs to try it out...

Have you got security set up? What channel are you operating on?
I didn't set up the security. It defaulted to channel 11. The old Belkin was on channel 3. Would changing the channel to 3 be worth a try?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:48   #6
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Yes, you could try channel 3.

Also, if you have no security, go to the management menu & select client monitor. Only your laptop & desktop should appear in there under client devices. If any other PCs listed, they could be stealing your bandwidth...

I suggest you consider setting up TKIP encryption, restrict access by MAC address & limit your DHCP scope.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:07   #7
Saul's Grandad
Lurkalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Yes, you could try channel 3.

Also, if you have no security, go to the management menu & select client monitor. Only your laptop & desktop should appear in there under client devices. If any other PCs listed, they could be stealing your bandwidth...

I suggest you consider setting up TKIP encryption, restrict access by MAC address & limit your DHCP scope.
Thanks for that. Could you explain how to do the last bit, please? I recognise the terms but I don't necessarily understand them or how they work
Old 02-09-2006, 11:47   #8
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

OK, dhcp scope is easiest. So start with that. Go to the LAN Settings menu & select LAN Port. If you're only ever going to have 2 machines connected through the router you can have the start IP address final figure set to 2 & the end IP address figure set to 3.

This means that when both your machines are on, the dhcp server will have no more IP addresses to assign a lease with. This helps to stop other people connecting.

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Once you've done that, do the next step from your desktop by wired connection.

Go to the LAN Settings, Wireless Security page & choose TKIP from the dropdown list at the top. Enter a pre-shared key of your choice (password/phrase) in the box below. The longer the better up to 63 characters. Then click Apply.

At this point your laptop will no longer be able to connect to the router.

Open the Belkin wireless utility on the laptop (should be in the system tray) & go to the security tab. Select Enable WPA encryption & then in the window that pops up select WPA-PSK & TKIP from the two dropdowns at the top.

Now enter your passphrase (pre-shared key) OK that window & Apply on the security tab. Your laptop should now be able to connect to the router.

MAC address filtering will have to wait I'm afraid, off out now. Let us know how you get on with the first two!
Old 04-09-2006, 14:37   #9
Saul's Grandad
Lurkalot

Thanks for the advice. The connection speed is pretty much back to normal and I only got as far as changing the channel and the DHCP scope. I may introduce the security at a later date if my grandaughter and stepson can be persuaded to learn another password
BTW the grandaughter's I-Book found the router straight away, before my laptop had even started up (after we turned them on at about the same time)...I'm seriously thinking of getting me an Apple...v impressive
Old 04-09-2006, 14:48   #10
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul's Grandad View Post
Thanks for the advice. The connection speed is pretty much back to normal and I only got as far as changing the channel and the DHCP scope. I may introduce the security at a later date if my grandaughter and stepson can be persuaded to learn another password
Once the password is typed in, both Windows and MacOSX remember it, and use it each time they attach to the network.
Quote:
BTW the grandaughter's I-Book found the router straight away before my laptop had even started up after we turned them on at about the same time...I'm seriously thinking of getting me an Apple...v impressive

Macs are (in my experience) far more reliable on Wireless networks than PCs.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote