Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PLEASE PLEASE HELP! I'm desperate! Wireless connection dropping

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PLEASE PLEASE HELP! I'm desperate! Wireless connection dropping

Old 30-08-2006, 14:21   #16
sjhoughton
Inactive

sjhoughton is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: PLEASE PLEASE HELP! I'm desperate! Wireless connection dropping

i gave up in the end ! my laptop works great at work or parents house
wirelessly but at home its garbage

normally drops connection within 10 minutes so i'm just putting up with wired

probably spent about 20 hours overall trying to sort it and it was stressing me out so gave up
sjhoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-08-2006, 15:11   #17
Gary Cuba
Inactive

Gary Cuba is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhoughton View Post
i gave up in the end ! my laptop works great at work or parents house
wirelessly but at home its garbage

normally drops connection within 10 minutes so i'm just putting up with wired

probably spent about 20 hours overall trying to sort it and it was stressing me out so gave up
I am going to quickly check to see if my wire option is still available tonight. Unlucky regarding the fault finding exercise... bloody sillyness.

If my wire option is still available to me then begins the arduous journey into understanding the complexities of WiFi... I'll be moving my pc, using the routers own software rather than windows, phoning up Telewest, cooking spoons in the microwave and maybe I'll reset the modem a few times for good measure etc etc etc...

This reminds me of when I used to load up 64k computer games on my speccy years ago... except my speccy was more reliable.

Failing all that... I will give up email and go back to bacolite rotary dial telephones, can you play poker by telephone?

Cuba
Gary Cuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 00:29   #18
ADd
Inactive

ADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond reputeADd has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I did a bit more hunting with Google, and this might be the problem. It is to do with the Wireless Zero Configuration within windows:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1164/
Quote:
t seems like I hit a nerve - if you have a WiFi PCMCIA card that drives you nuts as it connects/disconnects with annoying frequency, you're not alone! It's not particular to one brand but rather an endemic Windows XP/2000 issue. Readers alerted me to a few articles that are MUST reads if this is a problem for you.

Readers responded with a variety of fixes, although it seems as if the most likely culprit is the Windows Zero Configuration Service in Windows XP (more extensive Microsoft documentation HERE.) This service "configures the wireless network adapter to connect to an available wireless network" and provides automatic configuration for 802.11 adapters.
Loads of links on the page with extra info - hope it helps
ADd is offline   Reply With Quote