Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unable to acquire network address

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Intermittent wireless connection

Old 22-02-2008, 20:26   #1
ryo2dx
Inactive

ryo2dx will become famous soon enoughryo2dx will become famous soon enoughryo2dx will become famous soon enough
Intermittent wireless connection

I'm trying to connect my WinXP home Desktop PC to my wireless router, but every 15-20 seconds or so the connection seems to halt. When pinging my router, I got about 15 or so 1MS replies, followed by a timeout, then back to 15-20 1MS reples. My PC is about 5-6 metres away from the router.

Connecting my PC to the router directly using an ethernet cable did give me a stable connection, I didn't experience any packet loss. There are also 3 other computers in the house (3 laptops all running Vista), I've tried pinging on these machines and they don't have any problems, they are all connecting via wireless. Today I bought a replacement wireless adapter for my PC (a PCI card rather than a USB one), the problem is almost exactly the same, but I'm getting 2k+ ping responses every 15 seconds instead of timeouts, so it's still pretty bad.

Seeing as the other computers in my house have no problems at all with their connection to the router, could it be a problem with my PC, or do I just have two dodgy wireless adapters?

Hardware used: Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card F5D7000uk and F5D7231-4 Belkin Wireless G Router
ryo2dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2008, 23:20   #2
ryo2dx
Inactive

ryo2dx will become famous soon enoughryo2dx will become famous soon enoughryo2dx will become famous soon enough
Re: Intermittent wireless connection

It seems installing the latest driver and disabling Belkin's wireless control application has resolved the problem for the PCI card, this didn't work for the USB adapter though..
ryo2dx is offline   Reply With Quote