Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems with wired Linksys router/Telewest/setup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Telewest Home Networking

Old 24-10-2006, 14:06   #1
Craig F
Inactive

Services: Telewest TV/Phone/ Broadband
Craig F is an unknown quantity at this point
Telewest Home Networking

Hope someone can help, I am trying to set up a wirelss connection but cannot get past the insatll stage. I currently have Telewest 4mb broadband. Telewest have sent a Netgear WGR614 V6 router, Netgear USB wireles adapter and install CD. The cable modem is located in a separate room from my desktop. I have followed the instructions and connected the router to the modem via an ethernet cable. I have been asked to provide a network name and password which I have given. The USB adaptor is installed.However, when the install CD looks for a wirelss connection nothing can be found.

I have powered on and off etc.

The guide states that the internet light on the router should be fixed and "occasionally flicker" however it constantly flickers - does anyone know the cause of this?

I am a novice but does my PC not need the router name or is that meant to be done wirelessly?

I apologise in advance as I am sure this has been discussed many times before but the support offered by Telewest is minimal and when passed to Netgear (by Telewest) they claim that they cannot help as this is a Telewest product!
Craig F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-10-2006, 15:19   #2
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Telewest Home Networking

Make sure in settings, the Wireless feature is enabled. After any changes make sure to restart both modem and router.
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 15:20   #3
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

I know how frustrating this sort of thing can be so I am bumping the thread for you as I am sure someone here will be able to help
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 01:07   #4
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

Being experienced with that specific model (WGR614v6), I know for a fact that you need to enable Wireless connectivity in the router before you can connect to it with wireless devices. This means you'll have to plug your computer into the router physically with a cable, and run through the setup wizard. In there it should then ask you whether you want to enable wireless/radio network, to which you should say yes. Once you've got that up and you've set the SSID (network name, it's what you'll see when scanning for wireless nets) and security (optional), you can go ahead and connect to it wirelessly.

Note- I saw that the modem is in a different room to your PC, remember you don't need to have the router connected to the modem to run through the setup, so don't bother moving your whole computer, plug the router into the PC, set it up (I assume you know how), then plug it back into the modem, reboot it and you're set.

As for the activity light flickering, you really don't need to worry about that, so long as it's actually lighting up that's a good sign.

Lastly, when you've got your USB wireless adapter installed on your desktop, you'll be able to search for wireless networks (either through the Belkin utility or through Windows own wireless network utility), and there you'll see your routers SSID which you will have set.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 10:06   #5
Craig F
Inactive

Services: Telewest TV/Phone/ Broadband
Craig F is an unknown quantity at this point

Great - thanks for this, will try tonight.

I was on the phone last night for an hour to Telewest and the router was hooked up to the PC but they did not take me through the wireless wizard. No connection was found and the diagnosis from Telewest was a faulty router. They are sending a new one out!

Will let you know.

Thanks again.
Craig F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 03:20   #6
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

Remember to physically unplug both the router and the modem from the mains, then plug in the router and wait until it boots, then switch on the modem. Wait 30 seconds for the modem to fully boot, then unplug the router from the mains and plug it straight back in again, it should have found your Internet connection. The process is necessary because of the way TW assigns IP addresses based on hardware MAC address, but trust me, it does work
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote