Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Royal footman takes fight title

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NFL thread

Old 21-08-2004, 13:05   #1
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
NFL thread

this thread is for the discussion of all things to do with the NFL am going to start this in the hope am not the only NFL at CF !

ah feels good to be back i can start to plan my sunday nights now
i know what games are on

The opening month of the NFL television coverage on Sky has been announced.

Sept 9 Indianapolis Colts vs New England Patriots
Sept 12 Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Washington Redskins
Sept 12 Atlanta Falcons vs San Francisco 49ers
Sept 19 Carolina Panthers vs Kansas City Chiefs
Sept 19 New England Patriots vs Arizona Cardinals
Sept 26 Baltimore Ravens vs Cincinnati Bengals
Sept 26 Green Bay Packers vs Indianapolis Colts

You can find out more by going to Skysports.com

am a cowboys fan !
sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2004, 15:00   #2
Musicman
cf.addict

Services: Variable speed 10MB BB, Phone & Sky+
Musicman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NFL thread

No you are not the only NFL fan, I have been one for around 20 years, been a Pats fan since '85, but have only managed to see them once in Foxboro, when they lost to Miami in 1999. saw the Cowboys beat the Redskins in 1994 at Texas stadium which was great.

Thanks for that, at least I will be able to see the Pats now on the 19th, as should be back from my hols by then. Though I have no intention of watching the opening game, that starts at 1:30 or so on Friday morning, if it was a championship game, I would.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 11:54   #3
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

I'm a Pats fan as well. Only been following NFL for the past few years, got into it when I was was in Canada over the 02 superbowl. I went for the Pats as everyone else at the party was going for the Rams.

Looking forward to the new season, the Pats got a hiding on Saturday night by the bengals 31-3 in preseason!
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 15:45   #4
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Count me as another one of the resident NFL fans. I think it's a shame though that NFL.com is only providing game audio and not live video coverage like MLB.com is. That would have been useful for the weeks when Sky Sports don't have a double-header.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 16:29   #5
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

NFL!! Isn't that the de-skilled version of rugby the American's invented. Bunch of ar*e if you ask me.

Not only that but it made all the American's use the word football to describe this sport so they had to invent the word soccer to describe proper football. Which of course means if that's what they do, then so will the rest of the world.

Why not just play rugby you it's a far better game, you don't have to wear armour to play it and there is skill involved. They don't just have someone brought on to do the kicking!!

NFL you can throw and kick it forwards
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 16:54   #6
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
Not only that but it made all the American's use the word football to describe this sport so they had to invent the word soccer to describe proper football. Which of course means if that's what they do, then so will the rest of the world.
HUH? The americans didn't invent the word soccer, its short for association football.

The game in question is know as football, as its origins lie in Rugby, and the correct name for rugby is Rugby Football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
Why not just play rugby you it's a far better game, you don't have to wear armour to play it and there is skill involved. They don't just have someone brought on to do the kicking!!
Yes but the game of American Football is also a lot rougher than rugby, thats why they wear the armour. For example in rugby if you hit a man while he is in the air thats pretty much a yellow card, in American football thats a legal hit.

And yes your right, there is no skill involved. Throwing a pass, while you have two 350lb men closing in on you, 30 yards into a recievers arms while hes under two man coverage requires no skill at all.
Old 23-08-2004, 18:26   #7
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Unhappy Re: NFL thread

Quote:
Dear Lewis

Thank you for your email about NFL.

Sky has*no plans at present to broadcast the NFL in widescreen, however I have noted your interest with Sky Sports.

Thank you for contacting Sky.

Kind regards

Janette Forsyth
Viewer Relations

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 20 August 2004 16:30
To: tv_programmes@sky.com
Subject: Sky TV Programmes

Name: Lewis Wernham

Question: More of a question than feedback, really.* I was wondering if Sky Sports will be taking advantage of HTDV broadcasts of the NFL games where available to give the viewers a widescreen presentation?* A few years back Sky's NFL Europe coverage was in widescreen and it made quite a difference.

Considering Sky's push towards widescreen broadcasts I believe that this would be a very good idea.

Thanks

Lewis Wernham
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:49   #8
gazzae
Inactive

What a great game to start the season off! I sky +'ed it last night and got up at 5 to watch it this morning before work.

Colts 24 - Patroits 27

The last 5 minutes had so much action! Branch(patriots) fumbling a punt, the colts fumbled on the one yard line. The the patroits sacked manning to give the colts a 49yrd field goal to tie it, which they missed.
Old 18-12-2004, 16:19   #9
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
Exclamation Re: NFL thread

oh am going to have a good night.sky have a double header

new york v pittsburg than redskins vthe 49rs oh can't wait
Old 17-01-2005, 09:43   #10
gazzae
Inactive

What a great display by the Patriots last night! Holding the colts and MVP Manning to just a field goal. They played the colts how every team should play them, take away the long passes and don't let manning throw from the pocket, make him throw on the run which he hates. What a player Troy Brown is, playing on the offense, the defense and special teams.

Can't wait till next sunday!!
Old 18-01-2005, 18:18   #11
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae
What a great display by the Patriots last night! Holding the colts and MVP Manning to just a field goal. They played the colts how every team should play them, take away the long passes and don't let manning throw from the pocket, make him throw on the run which he hates. What a player Troy Brown is, playing on the offense, the defense and special teams.

Can't wait till next sunday!!
ye what a game that was ! am more than looking forward to next
sundays matchups
Old 24-01-2005, 02:53   #12
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Well, it's the Patriots Vs Eagles.

It's a shame, I never saw the game (only bits of it), but it looked like NE did pretty well. It is a shame the Steelers didn't go though though.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005, 08:28   #13
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Good news for uk fans of the NFL

NFL and Sky Sports celebrate two-year deal
Old 26-08-2005, 20:40   #14
makikomi
Inactive

Services: NTL cable
makikomi has reached the bronze age
makikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze age

I used to love American Football. I watched the games on Channel 4, and went to the American Bowls at Wembley Stadium.

Then I followed the London Monarchs - seeing all their home games and also seeing them abroad. It was far better than the NFL because even though most players were Americans, it was a "home" team to cheer for and had Brits on the team. Then the league scrapped them in 1998 and my interest has waned.

I still think it's a great game, but just don't have the motivation to watch it any more.

Maybe I'll try and catch a game or two and see if I get the bug again...
makikomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 17:06   #15
gazzae
Inactive

IT STARTS TONIGHT!!

2am Sky Sports 1.
Oakland Raiders take on the Superbowl winners New England Patriots at the Gillette Stadium in Foxboro.

The Kickoff show will feature The Rolling Stones, Green Day, Santana, Maroon 5, Kanye West, Good Charlotte and Rihanna.