Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Ethernet probs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear WGT634U

Old 23-09-2006, 13:36   #1
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough
Netgear WGT634U

Hi all,
Following a suggestion on of the other sections in this forum that the Linksys WRT54G is a good reliable router I am on the look out for one of those now...

Currently I have had a WGT634U wireless storage router for over a year now. It's downstairs and I have one desktop PC immediately above it (upstairs) with a WGT311T PCI card and have two laptops, one with built in 54mbps and the other with a WGT511T.
Every night practically I have to reboot the stupid thing because the connection drops. If I try pinging 192.168.1.1 it just times out.
I've tried so much to get round this following viewing posts on the net:
1) Put it on a stand to allow good air circulation
2) Removed the side plastic pieces of the casing to allow more airflow.
3) Attached a fan to it
4) Switched off dhcp and assigned static IP addresses to all machines.

It's still just as useless...when it does work the connection still seems slow and frequently sticks when pages take about 5-10 seconds to load etc. I've got 4mb blueyonder broadband, recently gone up fro 2mb and it still seems much the same...I think P2P downloads do actually seem to be a bit better though.
We do a lot of surfing in the evening, some P2P and streaming video...
Other than that it has FTP set up which is occasionally used to access files on the attached USB drive.
I also have an IP webcam which is connected to a D-Link wireless ethernet bridge upstairs. This sends images by FTP every hour to the router from about 7am to 9pm.

My plan is to get a reliable router for general use, connect the netgear to it, which would get an IP address via DHCP from the new router? and then direct port 21 for FTP through the new router to the Netgear one. This way I still have the FTP feature of the Netgear router but will hopefully have a more reliable router for surfing the net etc...

Anyone any thoughts on this? Would it work? I did consider scrapping the WGT634U and getting something like the LANDisk storage thing from Maplin instead where you put a HDD in and store files on there but I don't know if it has FTP features...

Any ideas or tips would be great...
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2006, 22:10   #2
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough
Re: Netgear WGT634U

Hmm...interesting thing I found out...I had switched the adapters over by accident at some point between the router and the cable modem...
I have switched them over again but wonder if that caused any of my issues as the internet seems a bit quicker and more stable now...
I noticed the power supply for both the Webstar modem and Netgear router were both 12v 2A but one was 100MA and another was 150MA...polarity the same needless to say...

Any thoughts anyone?
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 14:50   #3
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k
Re: Netgear WGT634U

looks like you have just found ya problem.

I have the same thing when i was using my netgear with an incorrect adapter, kept dropping the connection and restarting etc
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote