Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PC world muppets!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Thinking about joining Virgin + Linksys WRT54GL + Firmware

Old 18-05-2007, 22:57   #1
mike86
cf.addict

mike86 is on a distinguished roadmike86 is on a distinguished road
Thinking about joining Virgin + Linksys WRT54GL + Firmware

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting Broadband XL (20Mb) in August/September. I have a few questions that I was hoping somebody could answer

My ADSL connection will be cancelled in June. I can't afford to pay nearly £40 for two months for broadband for myself. I was thinking I should get 2Mb for July and August, and then in September when my housemates move in, we want 20Mb. Do Virgin allow you to upgrade like that? Would the modem I received with the 2Mb package be capable of handling 20Mb speeds?

We will also need a wireless router. I would like to get a Linksys WRT54G* router. After looking on eBuyer and the specs on Wikipedia, I feel that WRT54GL is the best one I could buy new. Would I be better off getting one of the older models with 32Mb of RAM from eBay?

Is this router capable of pushing out 20Mbps? My cheap D-Link can almost do 20Mbps when transferring files between machines, so I imagine it can. Are there any third party firmwares that allow you to monitor bandwidth usage between WAN and WLAN machines? That would be useful considering the new usage caps.

TIA,
Mike
mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2007, 23:58   #2
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Thinking about joining Virgin + Linksys WRT54GL + Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86 View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting Broadband XL (20Mb) in August/September. I have a few questions that I was hoping somebody could answer

My ADSL connection will be cancelled in June. I can't afford to pay nearly £40 for two months for broadband for myself. I was thinking I should get 2Mb for July and August, and then in September when my housemates move in, we want 20Mb. Do Virgin allow you to upgrade like that? Would the modem I received with the 2Mb package be capable of handling 20Mb speeds?
Yep, they'll let you upgrade. Dunno what modem you'll get, so can't say. Maybe a VM bod can answer that one.

Quote:
We will also need a wireless router. I would like to get a Linksys WRT54G* router. After looking on eBuyer and the specs on Wikipedia, I feel that WRT54GL is the best one I could buy new. Would I be better off getting one of the older models with 32Mb of RAM from eBay?
I've got a recent WRT54GL from overclockers. I'm guessing you're choosing this model so you can run a 3rd party firmware..? If so, the newer ones will allow you to run it fine - I'm using dd-wrt, for what it's worth, and it works flawlessly.

Quote:
Is this router capable of pushing out 20Mbps? My cheap D-Link can almost do 20Mbps when transferring files between machines, so I imagine it can. Are there any third party firmwares that allow you to monitor bandwidth usage between WAN and WLAN machines? That would be useful considering the new usage caps.
The router will handle it fine - make sure the modem that you get from NTL can handle 20Mbit, but the router will handle it easily. There is an add-on for dd-wrt that you can use - have a look here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/BWlog
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 00:39   #3
vbnmu
Inactive

vbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about them

if ur nt going for a 3rd party firmware then it might b worth checking this one:
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...ba9be2aed729a4

I recently bought it and so far seems very good! Its a tad bit fiddly at start bt u quickly get used to it. Its one the cheapest and if u go for that exact model, thats the website to get it from. they have iit cheaper than anyone.
vbnmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 00:55   #4
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbnmu View Post
if ur nt going for a 3rd party firmware then it might b worth checking this one:
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...ba9be2aed729a4

I recently bought it and so far seems very good! Its a tad bit fiddly at start bt u quickly get used to it. Its one the cheapest and if u go for that exact model, thats the website to get it from. they have iit cheaper than anyone.
Which also is supported by DD-WRT

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...and_WZR-RS-G54
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 00:03   #5
vbnmu
Inactive

vbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
But it does say flash firmware at your own risk! and as i havn't done it myself, I was careful nt to mention it!
Btw am in the loft and signal is still pretty good downstairs in the living room!

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

I think I was a bit stupid tho! It does say FIRMWARE on the post title!
ummm.....
vbnmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 00:04   #6
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbnmu View Post
But it does say flash firmware at your own risk! and as i havn't done it myself, I was careful nt to mention it!
Btw am in the loft and signal is still pretty good downstairs in the living room!

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

I think I was a bit stupid tho! It does say FIRMWARE on the post title!
ummm.....
Don't worry about it I know a lot of people who would just take it back to the shop and said it was bricked during a firmware upgrade. Which should get it replaced. At least i think so
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote