Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL and D-Link 624+ router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems setting up a wireless network with NTL

Old 22-01-2006, 13:31   #1
phil watts
Inactive

phil watts is an unknown quantity at this point
Problems setting up a wireless network with NTL

Can anyone throw any light on the problems I am having setting up a wireless router with NTL. We are trying to connect a D-Link624+ wireless router setup as follows:-
NTL Broadband modem connected to router WAN (ethernet) port. Router WAN1 ethernet port connected to PC ethernet card. (Our existing broadband set-up made use of USB connection from PC to Broadband modem, which I have now disconnected). The DI-624+ has a set-up wizard (http://192.168.0.1) which gives the options for setting up using Dynamic IP Address, Static IP Address, PPPoE or PPTP. I have been using Dynamic IP Address (as advised by NTL) and then manually entering the MAC address as the NTL broadband modem. I have left the default wireless settings as SSID - default, Channel = 6.
All then looks ok, but I cannot connect to the internet through the router. I have had a message 'conflicting IP address', which I have then reset using the Windows XP wizard, but still cannot connect. I have also tried using the XP wizard for setting up a wireless network, and am not sure if this is now conflicting.
Any thoughts would be welcome.

Phil Watts
phil watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2006, 13:52   #2
homealone

Re: Problems setting up a wireless network with NTL

If you are connecting via a stand alone cable modem you shouldn't need to manually enter a MAC address, this is only required when connecting via a set top box.

You should be able to set the router to 'obtain an IP automatically' and set 'DHCP server enable', then a reboot of modem, router & PC (ensuring time for each to settle down at each stage) should get you an IP.
Old 23-01-2006, 00:18   #3
atlantis

Homealone (as usual) is correct, that is what I did to my linksys.
I also updated the firmware once online for the router, check out you options at:
http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/...YogM6Ri7jksFS4=
Old 23-01-2006, 00:23   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

*Moved to Computers and IT* because setting up wireless networks is not an NTL service issue.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote