Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Slow Connections over Home Network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Slow speeds over wi fi - hopefully this is an easy one!

Old 26-02-2011, 16:52   #1
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste
Slow speeds over wi fi - hopefully this is an easy one!

Hi there - I have the 10meg service and use a Netgear WGR614UK Wireless 54G Cable Router.

On my main comp that is attached to the router via ethernet using this speed test I get: Download Speed: 1523 kbps (190.4 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 488 kbps (61 KB/sec )

Plugged the computer in bypassing the router and got Download Speed: 1717 kbps (214.6 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 484 kbps (60.5 KB/sec )

On my netbook that is connected over wi fi even in the same room I get: Download Speed: 1065 kbps (133.1 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 481 kbps ( 60.1KB/sec )

When I try and download a 2 games from here my speed combined is 106kb/s on my computer and roughly the same on my netbook.

On my netbook browsing is painfully slow sometimes and at others ok - certainly on the computer things feel a bit snappier.

Any help much appreciated.
Old 26-02-2011, 17:29   #2
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB
Web-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpack
Re: Slow speeds over wi fi - hopefully this is an easy one!

What about the speedtest at the top of the Forum?

Looks like you connection is FUBAR, you done the usual reset modem/router/PC/Laptop palava!!

I get 9.34Mbps over encrypted wireless using the same VM router as you!!
Web-Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 17:30   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Change the channel in use on the router, you may find a tool such as netstumbler handy to see what channels are already in use around you and then you can get a clean(er) channel for yourself.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 17:52   #4
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age

Hi guys - thanks for the replies - some further info - I used to get some great speeds over wi fi however I suppose it has gradually got worse over the last few months.

Plugged the computer in bypassing the router and got Download Speed: 1717 kbps (214.6 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 484 kbps (60.5 KB/sec ) so think now it might be something on virgins end as opposed to mine.

I do not download a lot of stuff so do not think I am affected by the traffic management palava. If I am downloading a couple of torrents the max speed I get now is usually around 100kb/s each whereas a few months ago it was like 300kb/s roughly.

Tried the speed test up at the top of the page :

Sat, 26 Feb 2011 17:59:38 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 14282 ms = 71.7 KB/sec, approx 591 Kbps, 0.58 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 15796 ms = 64.8 KB/sec, approx 534 Kbps, 0.52 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 18125 ms = 56.5 KB/sec, approx 466 Kbps, 0.46 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 32016 ms = 64 KB/sec, approx 527 Kbps, 0.51 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 530 Kbps, 0.52 Mbps
Old 26-02-2011, 21:13   #5
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Change the channel in use on the router, you may find a tool such as netstumbler handy to see what channels are already in use around you and then you can get a clean(er) channel for yourself.
This also would be my advice. An alternative to Netstumbler is Xirrus WifFi Inspector.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 21:41   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Just because wireless has worked well till now it does not mean it should still work well. There are only a set number of channels in use and with every passing month you probably gained people on wireless around you. Check out who is using what channel with one of the tools listed.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 22:20   #7
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Web-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpack

You could try running inSSIDer on yer laptop:

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

It will show you what wireless points are around you and how much they overlap your channel, you maybe able to shift your wireless to a less cluttered one as inSSIDer will show you what channels all wireless devices around you are using.
Old 26-02-2011, 23:08   #8
aliferste
cf.mega poster

Yes - I see all your points however why would my connection be so bad even when the router i not being used - the trace route I gave above was when the ethernet cable from the modem was plugged into the main comp.
Old 27-02-2011, 00:03   #9
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliferste View Post
Yes - I see all your points however why would my connection be so bad even when the router i not being used - the trace route I gave above was when the ethernet cable from the modem was plugged into the main comp.
I suspect, as I said in my first reply, your connection may have problems! Time to ring VM and ask them if they can find any problems with your connection.
Old 27-02-2011, 17:18   #10
aliferste
cf.mega poster

They are sending me out a new modem - does that sound like a viable first step?
Old 27-02-2011, 18:01   #11
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
They are sending me out a new modem - does that sound like a viable first step?
Well it will remove the modem from the equation but I wouldn't hold your breath as to it fixing your issue.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 18:33   #12
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Modem or SuperHub? If SuperHub send it back

Have you asked your neighbours (those on VM) if they are having problems? If they are not, ask them if you can quickly test your modem on their cable, if it's fine and speedtests show the speeds they pay for then it's looking like the connection to your house.
Old 27-02-2011, 18:41   #13
aliferste
cf.mega poster

Hmmmm - what else could it actually be though? If we take the router out the picture I am getting 1mb instead of 10 - it used to be ok however now it is not.

I have had the modem for around 7 years - you think that might make a difference?

Am I clutching at straws here?
Old 27-02-2011, 21:54   #14
Web-Junkie
Inactive

I've had my own modem since 30th Jan 2001, Surfboard SB4100, works fine with 10mb.

Go into the modem config and see what the Signal Levels are or what's in the logs, might clue you in that there's a problem.
Old 27-02-2011, 23:17   #15
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I do not download a lot of stuff so do not think I am affected by the traffic management palava. If I am downloading a couple of torrents the max speed I get now is usually around 100kb/s each whereas a few months ago it was like 300kb/s roughly.
Make sure you limit the upload on your torrent application to something below your maximum upload speed.

Otherwise your upload will become saturated and that will in turn cause your download speeds to drop.

I'd suggest making sure the torrent application.etc is closed when running the speed tests to make sure that it's not affecting the results.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote