Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT54GS On Virgin Media Config Settings?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Setting up WGR614 v.7

Old 12-02-2008, 22:47   #1
kossie03
Inactive

kossie03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Setting up WGR614 v.7

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Netgear WGR614 v.7 router for use with my cable broadband connection from Virgin Media. After a month of the connection being fine, we (i live in a shared house with another 6 computers attached) noticed that one computer in particular was getting the lions share of the connection whilst the other 5 were finding it difficult to load up and search via google.

I am just asking for a way of perhaps limiting this connection and maybe partitioning itso each computer receives the same amount of bandwidth, rather than having one that eats the entire connection using bittorrent programs.

Thanks guys and I hope there's someone who can help me with this.

Koz
kossie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2008, 22:57   #2
TehTech
Permanently Banned

TehTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Setting up WGR614 v.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossie03 View Post
Hi,

I have recently purchased a Netgear WGR614 v.7 router for use with my cable broadband connection from Virgin Media. After a month of the connection being fine, we (i live in a shared house with another 6 computers attached) noticed that one computer in particular was getting the lions share of the connection whilst the other 5 were finding it difficult to load up and search via google.

I am just asking for a way of perhaps limiting this connection and maybe partitioning itso each computer receives the same amount of bandwidth, rather than having one that eats the entire connection using bittorrent programs.

Thanks guys and I hope there's someone who can help me with this.

Koz
You can easily do this if you login to the router's config pages, and I believe it may be under QoS, or something like that, but Im sure someone will be along soon to add more info for you!

You could also use access restrictions to limit the "hogger(s)" time to when the rest aint using the net.
TehTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 08:26   #3
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: Setting up WGR614 v.7

You could also get the hogging PC's BitTorrent program to limit it's connection to a much fairer chunk of bandwidth, you'll find limiting upstream has the best effect.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote