Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best Way to Install Ethernet Cabling from router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear WGT624 Router Dropping Connection

Old 20-01-2011, 11:19   #1
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute
Netgear WGT624 Router Dropping Connection

I have an NTL Home 120 connected to a Netgear WGT624 Router on 10Mb broadband, this set up has been running for about 5 years, and currently it serves 2 PCs wired and one laptop on wireless. I have been used to the router dropping all connection about once a week.

Recently the router has been dropping all connection every 2 hours. However when I connect in an old Belkin wired router between the modem and WRT624, with one PC connected to Belkin and the others on the WRT624 connection doesn't drop at all!!!

Any ideas? My first thought was to replace the WRT624, but not so sure now!

Incidentally the old NTL Home 120 still appears to be very stable and delivers 10Mb when available, usually around 3 o'clock in the morning!!!!
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-01-2011, 14:27   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Netgear WGT624 Router Dropping Connection

It may be the modem as it is rather dated, call in and ell them what is happening and they may replace it if the modem is not running properly.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 16:02   #3
dave6x
Inactive

dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
It may be the modem as it is rather dated, call in and ell them what is happening and they may replace it if the modem is not running properly.
Thanks for the reply.

I had wondered if it may be a modem problem, I've had the NTL Home 120 for about 8 years and maybe output has dropped off a bit! However it does seem to be the 120/WGT624 combination that has the issues and a simple reboot of just the router re-establishes connection for another 2 hours!!!

What is the best way to contact somebody in VM so that I don't have to go through the whole palaver of the script??? I've already tried the various combinations of connection over the last few days to try to establish where the problem lies!
Old 20-01-2011, 17:51   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6x View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I had wondered if it may be a modem problem, I've had the NTL Home 120 for about 8 years and maybe output has dropped off a bit! However it does seem to be the 120/WGT624 combination that has the issues and a simple reboot of just the router re-establishes connection for another 2 hours!!!

What is the best way to contact somebody in VM so that I don't have to go through the whole palaver of the script??? I've already tried the various combinations of connection over the last few days to try to establish where the problem lies!
Try as soon after 0800 tomorrow morning for a UK agent but they are available until 10pm tonight if you decide to call.
Old 20-01-2011, 17:56   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Thought the 0800 option was only for 50mb customers?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 18:00   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Thought the 0800 option was only for 50mb customers?
I have added to the above post as you will not get far ringing just 0800.
Old 20-01-2011, 18:18   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

D'oh, read it as calling 0800 not calling after 0800. Too many distractions at work to read forums properly :P
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 23:47   #8
dave6x
Inactive

Quote:
Try as soon after 0800 tomorrow morning for a UK agent but they are available until 10pm tonight if you decide to call.
Just back from the pub!!!

Thanks again, will try CS in the morning
Old 24-01-2011, 17:14   #9
dave6x
Inactive

Quote:
I finally got around to ringing at about 08:40 this morning.

Spoke to a very helpful Indian chap, he ran the checks that he could and said there were no obvious problems with the modem but he would pass the query to the team for further testing and ring back in a couple of hours.

I'm still waiting, but not given up hope yet!!!!
Old 24-01-2011, 18:05   #10
jodash
Inactive

Services: Virgin VHDX1 Tivo X2 100mg B/B and Telephone (VIP) IPhone,Ipad
jodash is on a distinguished roadjodash is on a distinguished road

I have the same router and yes it does drop connection from time to time,I just reboot it apart from that all ok
jodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 18:13   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodash View Post
I have the same router and yes it does drop connection from time to time,I just reboot it apart from that all ok
Same here I have the "v3", but it automatically reconnects.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 18:30   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I finally got around to ringing at about 08:40 this morning.

Spoke to a very helpful Indian chap, he ran the checks that he could and said there were no obvious problems with the modem but he would pass the query to the team for further testing and ring back in a couple of hours.

I'm still waiting, but not given up hope yet!!!!
I would ring back.
Old 24-01-2011, 18:52   #13
dave6x
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodash View Post
Thanks for the reply.

My WGT624 router went from dropping connection approximately every 5-7 days to about every 2 hours hence the query. After dropping the router needed a hard reboot.

However it is interesting to note that with the elderly Belkin router in circuit between the modem and the WGT624 connection has not dropped for over 8 days and is still running! Main problem is that the old Belkin limits download to 5Mb/s!!!!

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

Quote:
I would ring back.
Thanks Masque, I'll probably give it another go in the morning!
Old 24-01-2011, 19:33   #14
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:

However it is interesting to note that with the elderly Belkin router in circuit between the modem and the WGT624 connection has not dropped for over 8 days and is still running! Main problem is that the old Belkin limits download to 5Mb/s!!!!
Try it with just the Belkin as it sounds like the Netgear could be the issue.
Old 24-01-2011, 20:49   #15
dave6x
Inactive

Quote:
Try it with just the Belkin as it sounds like the Netgear could be the issue.
I hear what you say, and in effect that's what I have done. The Belkin router I have is wired only and SLOW only giving me 5Mb/s max, I only put it in circuit initially to prove a point and secondly to stop my wife moaning about the main desktop PC dropping connection in the middle of her work!!!

It is well documented that in some installations the WGT624 was prone to dropping connection every few days, with Netgear providing a firmware update to try to resolve the problem. In my case that didn't seem to have much effect!

However my theory, for what it's worth, is that the Netgear WGT624 is less tolerant of the output it is seeing from the modem than is the Belkin, maybe that could be a signal level and/or SNR problem at the output from the modem. By placing the Belkin router in circuit it is possible that the Netgear WGT624 is now seeing a signal level and/or SNR from the Belkin router that suits it better hence the fact it hasn't dropped connection in this configuration. The fact that the WGT624 went from dropping connection approx weekly down to every couple of hours leads me to believe that something changed, either in the output from the modem or the input of the WGT624, unfortunately I have neither the specs on the modem or router, nor the equipment to carry out the tests as long gone are the days when I did that sort of thing for a living!!!

It would be nice to try a new modem as the NTL Home 120 has been in constant use for nearly 9 years and I believe that to be the most likely culprit, degradation of electronic components over time leading to changes in equipment behaviour being a well understood phenomena!