Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help me with my networked printer please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hub

Old 06-07-2008, 20:38   #1
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light
Hub

I'm looking to buy a hub for onsite network data capture.

Thing is, trying to find a hub is nigh on impossible, as the switch has well and truly taken over.

I know I can get a managed switch, but I'm looking for a portable device and these managed jobbies are quite large, from what I can see anyway.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I have Googled this but, apart from a vague description of a Belkin 2 port thing, I've had no joy.

Cheers

Cadire
buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2008, 20:49   #2
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society
Re: Hub

Wouldn't this hub at eBuyer do the trick?

Edit: Scratch that - I missed the rackable bit - more haste, less speed applies!

What about e-bay?
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 20:58   #3
buckleb
Inactive

buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, that Netgear model looks just the ticket. I think the stackable feature just means one can stack them together.

I can't imagine why I didn't think of Ebay... a cheap chinese-made hub would be just the ticket!

Thanks very much for the help.
Old 06-07-2008, 21:06   #4
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

You sure about that Netgear one? From the usage you're describing, >£300 seems a bit high!

I have the 8 port version of this Intel hub and never had any problems. Assuming the problem the seller refers to is the power supply you can pick up a suitable replacement from Maplin (I did when mine packed in anyways!)
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 21:31   #5
buckleb
Inactive

My boss will be paying for the hub, so I'm not really that worried about the cost (I don't get to say that very often!).

I have been trawling through eBay, and have seen a few, including the one you link to.

Cheers
Old 07-07-2008, 02:09   #6
velocite
Inactive

velocite is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at the LinkSys SLM2005 5-port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Smart Switch.
It's quite compact and costs less than £60, but supports port mirroring so should be good for traffic monitoring.
velocite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:18   #7
buckleb
Inactive

Oh good find!

That looks just the ticket.

Cheers