Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dynamode BR-6004 4 Port Broadband Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Internet and Router Problems.

Old 13-09-2007, 10:39   #1
Adlam
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP package
Adlam is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Adlam
Internet and Router Problems.

Ok this has been driving me mad for ages now as I really can't seem to find out why I am having this problem. Basically every so often, it can be 10 minutes or a day apart, I will lose my internet connection. The internet connection is set up through a WRT54GS wireless router and connected to this PC. Everything at this PC is wired though. Whenever I lose the connection to the internet I either have to shut everything down or press the 'Easy Setup' button the front of the router.

I thought it was a faulty router if this was the case but the router has been replaced and the same is happening. Now whenever there is a problem I notice that the upstream/downstream lights on the modem stop flashing completly, like there is a 'block'. So as the router has been changed I think its going to either be the modem or the ethernet port on the back of the PC (as I have changed the cabling as well).

If anyone has had this problem or can share any suggestions that would be great .

Thanks.
Adlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2007, 10:44   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Internet and Router Problems.

Do you have this problem without the router?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 10:53   #3
Adlam
Inactive

I don't think it did, but this has been going on a number of months now. What i'll do, next time the internet stops working, I shall plug in the modem directly, see if anything comes through then, if not, it must be down to the modem or ethernot card/port on the back of my PC. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Update]

Just had the problem I described, plugged the modem straight into the PC and the problem was still there. So I have decided to go and buy a new network card later, if I still have the problems that its pretty obvious it is the modem.
Old 13-09-2007, 14:11   #4
Adlam
Inactive

Hey again, basically now I tried the modem on its own for a while, no problems at all. So I thought maybe its fixed itself and tried putting the router back into the equation and after 5 minutes, I had the same problem. All the right lights are on on the router, but the upload/download lights were not lighting on the modem and the PC was complaining that there was no connection. I tried plugging my sisters laptop into the router as well, same problem. This time I also noticed the 'Internet Gateway' in 'Network Connections' was disabled and it would not let me re-enable it as it would always get an error.

So I really do not know what to do, it works if I reset the modem but if I have the problem and plug the modem straight into the PC during the problem, I still need to reset the modem, so I have absolutly no idea what exactly is at fault.

Any advice at all would be extremely appreciated.
Old 13-09-2007, 14:14   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Power off the modem, router and PC, connect PC to modem, power up modem, wait for lights to settle, power up PC. Call VM to ask for new modem.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 15:02   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

The modem won't detect a change of the device connected i.e. swap to PC from Router, without a reboot of the modem. Thus if the connection has dropped, simply plugging in a different device will not tell you where the problem lies.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 15:07   #7
LaineY
Inactive

Services: <V+ - XLTV - XLTelco - 20MB>
LaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the rough

i know this may be a silly question.... but when you plugged the router back in.. did you reboot the modem wait 30 secs then plug you're router in? Or, did you just HOT SWAP the cable from the back of you're pc to the router....

it's either that or the duplex mode you're router is using is locking the Activity Light up on the Modem therefor jamming you're connection on solid..

Thats a pretty unusual fault you have there my friend....
Extremely hard to narrow down.. because as far as Virgin will be concerned .. they will not replace the modem if you have a solid connection plugged directly into it..

The best way of doing it.... would be.. when the Router goes down..
Ping the Router in CMD for eg (ping 192.168.1.1 if thats your router ip)
if that fails you're not getting through to it..
if it doesnt..
ping the modem (for eg 192.168.100.1)
if that passes then you are getting through your router and the modem is replying.
if the modem doesnt reply it means it could possibly be the modem that IS locking up.

hope some of this helps
LaineY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 17:08   #8
KevAmiga
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, SH2. Phone, Mobile.
KevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really niceKevAmiga is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to KevAmiga Send a message via Yahoo to KevAmiga

Give VM a call, they can run a test on the modem and find out where the fault lies. If the modem is locking up, normally they can tell from their end.
KevAmiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 00:08   #9
Adlam
Inactive

Ok thank you all for the helpful advice, I will take it all into account and hopefully stop this problem from happening again.

Thanks!
Old 14-09-2007, 00:48   #10
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Power off the modem, router and PC, connect PC to modem, power up modem, wait for lights to settle, power up PC. Call VM to ask for new modem.
if a PC connected to a router is complaining of no connection then the problem is with the router, not the modem.

next time it happens, can you connect to the router? (probably http://192.168.1.1), if not, problem is with the router.
dev is offline   Reply With Quote